2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
49 registered members (barbaram, Dave Horne, AYS, Anglagard44, EPW, Craig Richards, ChrisGoesPiano, EssBrace, claburo, Beowulf, 13 invisible), 282 guests, and 433 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868087 07/10/19 04:42 PM
C
crownano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Sounds like Boston has mellow tune, may be better on single note, but not as good when it comes to color (which involves multiple or series of notes). Is this a fair statement?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868095 07/10/19 05:32 PM
R
redfish1901 Offline
R
To me color is the change in sound as you strike a note from pp to ff. At fff, it become metallic and angry. At ppp it’s soft and gentle. The color is what happens in between. The lesser pianos have less difference there: sound gets louder as you hit harder, but that’s all.

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2868097 07/10/19 05:39 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Rich, so just to confirm:

Less color is less desirable to any pianist who is looking for control and expression when they play. It is the major downfall of Boston pianos, IMHO.

So do you mean that you think the Boston grands are not as good in this regard compared to the Kawai or Yamaha models?

I am particularly interested since I recently played a Boston GP163 and am planning to test-play some Kawai grands in similar sizes (mid-5 foot up to 6ish sizes) on my next dealer-visit.

At one time tuning stability used to be a problem in Boston uprights but has been sorted out now.I do believe I read this on Piano Buyer (brand profiles )
I do however remember the practice rooms at university, they had Steinway uprights which were always out of tune ! Everyone would try and find a
grand
As far as Boston grands I have never heard of this.
I wonder would they need 3 or more tunings a year?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/10/19 05:42 PM. Reason: Missing word
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2868113 07/10/19 06:30 PM
U
Ukihune Offline
U
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
、
Originally Posted by Ukihune

I think if you play pieces after Beethoven more often, then the color and action will be more important so CX/GX would be better; if you play Baroque (besides polyphony pieces) and classical more often, then Boston

I am sorry, but I respectfully disagree with this statement. A pianist of any style is looking for expression, color, dynamics, and possibilities to bring their music to life. Less color is less desirable to any pianist who is looking for control and expression when they play. It is the major downfall of Boston pianos, IMHO.

Certainly they need color too... but unless it's a few top-tier pianos, it's hard to have a model both good at single tone and action.Yamaha IMHO does not focus too much on single sound quality in CX as it is aiming at color change. Boston, Bosendorfer, and most European pianos are more single-tone oriented; Yamaha, Steinway, etc. are color change oriented.

Steinway B, 1890
Yamaha C3X TA2
Yamaha U1 SHTA
Roland FP-30

MSRP/SMP is tricky!
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868133 07/10/19 07:39 PM
Zed Gong Offline
Rich made some excellent points. Most of the times, sluggishness of the action is a result of increased friction between the pins and the felt. It's almost never the wooden parts.

Boston pianos are designed by Steinway, but made in the Kawai factory.
There's an interesting question to ponder: Why would any piano manufacturer make better pianos for others instead of their own?
Essentially, you're deciding between a Yamaha and two Kawai pianos.

Just my two cents, I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Sales Associate

Keyboard Concepts Fountain Valley

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche.
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868137 07/10/19 07:55 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I think we have heard enough of the idea that Kawai
would deliberately make Boston pianos not as well
as KawaI pianos Steinways would be a very important important client for Kawai to make the best pianos
possible, especially since Steinways is so proud of
its Boston pianos.Well I am inexperienced in quality control of these instruments.That however is my understanding and some experience with Boston grands.

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: Emery Wang] #2868162 07/10/19 09:44 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Emery Wang

The Kawai action is still bushed with traditional cloth bushings and they use traditional bushing pins. That is where the typical issues come from, particularly from a new-ish piano.

Hi Rich. What problems are you finding with cloth bushings and traditional pins on newer pianos? Do they tend to be tight? Good to know if so, but it would suck having to re-bush the pins on a new piano.

Thanks.

Hi Emery,

I am not finding problems, I am referring to the method of creating a pivot point or joint in any piano action. I am describing well known characteristics of any piano action. The wool cloth that make up traditional bushings "breathe". They change. They become swollen in high humidity and they shrink in low humidity. This change can cause any number of issues with a piano action and are most evident as a piano settles in.

Rebushing and repinning actions is not something that is typical.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2868163 07/10/19 09:49 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

So do you mean that you think the Boston grands are not as good in this regard compared to the Kawai or Yamaha models?

I am particularly interested since I recently played a Boston GP163 and am planning to test-play some Kawai grands in similar sizes (mid-5 foot up to 6ish sizes) on my next dealer-visit.

Hi Shirokuro,

Yes, that is my feeling. My best advice is for you to play the pianos. Listen to them and tell us what YOU think.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: Ukihune] #2868165 07/10/19 09:51 PM
C
crownano Offline OP
OP Offline
C

Certainly they need color too... but unless it's a few top-tier pianos, it's hard to have a model both good at single tone and action.Yamaha IMHO does not focus too much on single sound quality in CX as it is aiming at color change. Boston, Bosendorfer, and most European pianos are more single-tone oriented; Yamaha, Steinway, etc. are color change oriented.

Is Kawai GX more color change oriented or single tone oriented?

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2868171 07/10/19 10:19 PM
Emery Wang Offline

Hi Emery,

I am not finding problems, I am referring to the method of creating a pivot point or joint in any piano action. I am describing well known characteristics of any piano action. The wool cloth that make up traditional bushings "breathe". They change. They become swollen in high humidity and they shrink in low humidity. This change can cause any number of issues with a piano action and are most evident as a piano settles in.

Rebushing and repinning actions is not something that is typical.

OK, makes sense. Thanks Rich. Would love to visit your store one day!

Kawai MP11SE
Kawai GL10
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868181 07/10/19 11:11 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by crownano

Is Kawai GX more color change oriented or single tone oriented?

Colour Change ? You mean like a color change sapphire or a colour change garnet ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/10/19 11:12 PM. Reason: Missing word
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: Lady Bird] #2868184 07/10/19 11:28 PM
C
crownano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Colour Change ? You mean like a color change sapphire or a colour change garnet ?

I was simply using Ukihune's word. I think he means something similar to what redfish1901 said:
Originally Posted by redfish1901

To me color is the change in sound as you strike a note from pp to ff. At fff, it become metallic and angry. At ppp it’s soft and gentle. The color is what happens in between.

Last edited by crownano; 07/10/19 11:28 PM.
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868185 07/10/19 11:35 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
OK, Thanks,Metallic does not sound good .If it sounds
matallic in any dynamic range I think the piano would
need voicing.
I experience change of colour more with different key
signatures and even different notes.

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: Lady Bird] #2868201 07/11/19 12:36 AM
C
crownano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
OK, Thanks,Metallic does not sound good .If it sounds
matallic in any dynamic range I think the piano would
need voicing.
I experience change of colour more with different key
signatures and even different notes.

Thanks! It seems most people think:
Single note: Boston > Yamaha CX
Dynamics/Color: Boston < Yamaha CX

Where does Kawai GX rank?

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868462 07/11/19 04:08 PM
E
EricL Offline
E
I used to own a Boston GP-178 from 1999 to 2003. I traveled around and tried a number of pianos including similar size Yamaha and Kawai before I made the purchase. I selected the Boston because (to me) it had the best dynamics and color. I could easily bring out the inner voice when I played Brahms intermezzi and ballades. I only thing I did not like about the piano was I could hear the difference in tonal quality of the notes at the bass/tenor transition. To be fair, I could hear the same tonal problem in all the Yamahas and Kawais I had tried at that time. I ended up selling the Boston and purchasing a larger piano.

Forgive me for saying this, but you should put more trust in your own ears than what people are telling you. Whatever piano you end up buying is YOUR piano. You are the one who will be paying for it, playing it and listening to it. Take your time, play all the pianos on your short list repeatedly, and buy the one that speaks to you. If they all sound and play the same to you, buy the one that costs the least and use the saved money to hire a reputable piano tech to prep the piano to the n-th degree and/or spend it on piano lessons, piano books, piano accessories, or something else on your wish list.

Note that the Yamahas and Kawais I tried at that time were the C and RX series, not the current CX and GX series, respectively. The current series are improvement over the previous ones, and (to me) they have better dynamic and color ranges, but the same can be said of the Boston GP PE II series.

Eric

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868499 07/11/19 06:44 PM
C
crownano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Eric. I will play them more. The thing is you cannot play all three pianos one right after another at the same place. You have to go from one dealer to another. This makes it harder to compare:(

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868502 07/11/19 06:52 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks Eric. I will play them more. The thing is you cannot play all three pianos one right after another at the same place. You have to go from one dealer to another. This makes it harder to compare:(

This, I know exactly what you mean!!

Hang in there, it will all become clear to you eventually!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868504 07/11/19 07:04 PM
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
The thing is you cannot play all three pianos one right after another at the same place. You have to go from one dealer to another. This makes it harder to compare:(

I understand what you're saying here - but I think it's useful to perhaps look at it this way: Your task is NOT to play these pianos and then deliver an objective report on their sound quality, playability, etc. Your task IS to play some pianos . . . and be tuned in to your own subjective reaction to the experience. Which one, after suitable exposure to those you're considering (and perhaps multiple experiences with those you've found most appealing) do you LIKE better?

If I have chocolate cake for dessert at different restaurants or friends' homes over a period of a week or two . . . I'm going to be able to tell you which one I (as in ME) like best! Maybe the Pillsbury judges wouldn't make the same assessment; maybe you wouldn't make the same assessment - but by golly I'd know which one I wanted for dessert again!

Sometimes, choices are as simple as this when deciding what you wish to live with over time. Focus on YOU and YOUR feelings and reactions!

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: crownano] #2868573 07/12/19 12:12 AM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Let us hope though every piano you try is not "chocolate" You may never recover !

Re: Boston 178 vs Kawai GX2 vs Yamaha C3X? [Re: pwl] #2868595 07/12/19 02:47 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pwl
The thing is you cannot play all three pianos one right after another at the same place. You have to go from one dealer to another. This makes it harder to compare:(

I understand what you're saying here - but I think it's useful to perhaps look at it this way: Your task is NOT to play these pianos and then deliver an objective report on their sound quality, playability, etc. Your task IS to play some pianos . . . and be tuned in to your own subjective reaction to the experience. Which one, after suitable exposure to those you're considering (and perhaps multiple experiences with those you've found most appealing) do you LIKE better?

If I have chocolate cake for dessert at different restaurants or friends' homes over a period of a week or two . . . I'm going to be able to tell you which one I (as in ME) like best! Maybe the Pillsbury judges wouldn't make the same assessment; maybe you wouldn't make the same assessment - but by golly I'd know which one I wanted for dessert again!

Sometimes, choices are as simple as this when deciding what you wish to live with over time. Focus on YOU and YOUR feelings and reactions!

thumb yippie when I bought my current piano, I just used my very subjective impression, as simple as ‘ I don’t want to stop playing it’ and ‘I’ve never sounded better’. Did it really sound better than any other piano? I’m sure not but it felt like Goldilocks finding something that felt right. I’ve not regretted buying it for one minute. IMHO, sometimes we over analyze, particularly with expensive purchases. Go test the chocolate and find one you want go have again the next day.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,055
Posts2,927,347
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission