2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
27 members (36251, EVC2017, 3x4rt, BachToTheFuture, donpi, iliverez, Dazzie2, johanibraaten, clothearednincompo, 4 invisible), 351 guests, and 379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is the Kawai GL10 baby grand any good?
#2783503 11/22/18 04:15 PM
R
Reny27 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi everyone

Has anyone got any experience of or owned this piano and is it a good buy?
Or would it be better to get an upright for the same money ?

I can get the GL10 in Australia for $11k fully prepped and delivered

Many thanks

Re: Is the Kawai GL10 baby grand any good?
Reny27 #2783507 11/22/18 04:32 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I have played it in the store. It is marvelous. The action is terrific. It would take a very expensive upright to be as satisfying to play. The GL20 has a bit better base. I am pleased with my NV10, but if I could I would trade straight across for a GL!0.

Kawai NV10
Reny27 #2783531 11/22/18 05:47 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I answered your question in the original thread.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Reny27 #2783560 11/22/18 08:12 PM
K
K
You're better off with a u1 or u3 upright. Those gl dont get good until you get to gl30 or gl40. I tried a bunch at a dealer. I will say they are a lot better than that Yamaha budget grand gbk1. That thing feels awful. It is really hard to find a new piano under 20k that plays at a conservatory level like you would find at a university.

Last edited by GoodCuzStub; 11/22/18 08:14 PM.
Reny27 #2783579 11/22/18 09:52 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Look up Piano Buyer Piano Brands to see which Kawai grands are made in Japan .These would a much better buy .A 51 inch high German upright may be better than small grand .I have one of these, it
has a big sound ,which is also lush and singing, an all round lovely instrument. Good luck in your search .

Reny27 #2783586 11/22/18 10:52 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Kawai k300,also K500 are great pianos .If you can find a Petrof about 48 inches that would be very nice ! W Hoffman also make lovely pianos .

Reny27 #2783594 11/22/18 11:48 PM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
As for being better off with a Yamaha upright than a smaller grand: If one wants and likes a grand action there's no sense in getting an upright. Also people often say a grand must be a certain size to be worth buying. Not always true and if space is limited a smaller grand may be the best purchase for home use. Against the popular arguments I went for smaller and have never regretted. Do not need a roaring bass in my apartment and my U1 is much less pleasant to play with it's loud bass register. So just remember you are buying for yourself and there are no set rules, just opinions of other piano people:) One thing I find important: I would never again buy a piano I have not tried out myself and compared to many other pianos. Also if you value your money, in pianos slightly used often can be a better option.

Reny27 #2783598 11/23/18 12:17 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have a GL-10, I compared it with the K-300 and K-500. The uprights both had a nicer sound but I was most interested in the action, in particular having double escapement on the piano I use to practice with. The other aspects of the action were difficult to distinguish on the 3 models, although I gave slight preference to the GL. My wife isn't crazy about piano in general, so I play with the door closed, top down and a cover on to help mute the sound, so for me this was a perfect fit. I initially looked at Yamahas as well but had a preference for the feel of the kawai. I can't say whether your price represents a good buy, I'm in the US.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Reny27 #2785302 11/27/18 02:21 PM
K
K
I recently tried a couple GL-10s and 20s - I think they're solid choices overall in the 10-15K range . To me, the action was superior to my kawai K3, I recall it was easier to play pp and also play repetitive notes. However, the overall sound palette is not drastically different than my K3 - this for me is a deal-breaker.

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
Reny27 #2867850 07/10/19 02:41 AM
I
I
It depends on what you intend to play. I liked the GL-10 that I played quite a lot. Did it have the rumbling bass resonance of a 9' concert grand? No. But, its tone was lush and warm nonetheless. I prefer the feel to the Yamaha C1s I've played. It has a very nice grand piano action. And on that basis alone, it is better than any upright. I loathe upright piano actions. They simply don't (and cannot) play like even the smallest baby grands... let alone a baby grand with a full-size Kawai action.

Last edited by Ira Paul; 07/10/19 02:42 AM.
Ira Paul #2867943 07/10/19 10:34 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ira Paul
It depends on what you intend to play. I liked the GL-10 that I played quite a lot. Did it have the rumbling bass resonance of a 9' concert grand? No. But, its tone was lush and warm nonetheless. I prefer the feel to the Yamaha C1s I've played. It has a very nice grand piano action. And on that basis alone, it is better than any upright. I loathe upright piano actions. They simply don't (and cannot) play like even the smallest baby grands... let alone a baby grand with a full-size Kawai action.

thumb +1. Except I love the Yamaha C series. You’re paying the bill, if you really like Kawai GL10 and work out an acceptable price, buy it, play it, love it. Best of Luck!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
Reny27 #2867946 07/10/19 10:46 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I loathe upright piano actions. They simply don't (and cannot) play like even the smallest baby grands... let alone a baby grand with a full-size Kawai action.

I've heard this same sentiment before here on the forums, and I do agree to an extent, but not entirely... You are most certainly entitled to your opinion and are encouraged to share it on the PW forums, along with the opinion of others.

As for me, and my opinion, I think it is good to play an assortment of different pianos and get a feel for different actions. For one, that will let you know for sure what you prefer or like best; secondly, it allows you to develop a skill set in which you can play fluently on a variety of different pianos, if that situation ever arises. And, thirdly, the variety in itself is somehow healthy for developing your control, agility and command of the keyboard of various piano actions, and not just one.

I prefer the action of my grand(s), as you say. But I also have a couple of uprights that I enjoy playing. I honestly think experiencing the variety and differences in the various piano actions is a good thing.

Just my oddball .02. smile

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #2867960 07/10/19 11:21 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rickster
I loathe upright piano actions. They simply don't (and cannot) play like even the smallest baby grands... let alone a baby grand with a full-size Kawai action.

I've heard this same sentiment before here on the forums, and I do agree to an extent, but not entirely... You are most certainly entitled to your opinion and are encouraged to share it on the PW forums, along with the opinion of others.

As for me, and my opinion, I think it is good to play an assortment of different pianos and get a feel for different actions. For one, that will let you know for sure what you prefer or like best; secondly, it allows you to develop a skill set in which you can play fluently on a variety of different pianos, if that situation ever arises. And, thirdly, the variety in itself is somehow healthy for developing your control, agility and command of the keyboard of various piano actions, and not just one.

I prefer the action of my grand(s), as you say. But I also have a couple of uprights that I enjoy playing. I honestly think experiencing the variety and differences in the various piano actions is a good thing.

All the best,

Rick

Rick, I like your reasoning. My friend, a guy with a degree in composition from Columbia University and fifty years at the keyboard, has played just about every piano under the sun. I’m jealous of his breadth of experience and want to play a variety of pianos, including an acoustic upright. My friend loves his Yamaha NU1, which has an upright action, if I recall correctly.

My teacher has a Steinway grand. I’ll probably never own one but it’s nice to be able to play on one every week.

Reny27 #2867974 07/10/19 12:18 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The debate between baby grand vs big upright will continue until the Zombie 🧟‍♀️ Apocalypse. Reny27- play as many different acoustic pianos as you can when deciding. Play big uprights, play smaller grands, play bigger grands. Pick whatever you like best that fits in your home and budget.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
Reny27 #2867982 07/10/19 12:41 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The other thing is, I do think there are differences between the 5' grands of Yamaha, Kawai, and Boston (those are the ones I've played so far)and then also the 5'3" 5'4" or 5"5 of each.

If the goal is stay below a certain size, there are enough differences in each brand that I'm sure you can find a baby grand that you like. I didn't like the brand new Kawai GL10 that I played, although I liked a used GL10 better (different shop from the new one, I almost wonder if the new one purposely wasn't well-prepped to make some of the other pianos there sound better. That's too much conspiracy theory probably!)

And I wasn't expecting to like the Boston GP 163 (5'4") but I not only like it, I loved it. So there you go.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Rickster #2868043 07/10/19 03:40 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rickster

All the best,

Rick

I agree with Rickster and could never say I loathe any
reasonable piano.In the past I have met a few professional pianists and I was often amazed at how
modest thier approach is to various pianos ,uprights
grands,unknown brand whatever.
The same goes for many piano teachers especially today when so many do not or can not afford a decent
accoustic piano.The idea is to enjoy playing on what ever piano one owns.
It is amazing what an artist can do with the most basic
tools !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/10/19 03:43 PM. Reason: Missing word
Reny27 #2868072 07/10/19 05:17 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Responding to the question of this thread, "Is the Kawai GL-10 baby grand any good?", I believe we can reply positively. It has the Millenium III (carbon fibre) action which Kawai claims is stronger and more stable than the traditional, all wooden piano action. It has longer keys than comparable 5' pianos. The longer keystick in comparison with other baby grand pianos, provides more more control and sensitivity of touch. Of course this is promotional information from Kawai about the specifications of the Kawai GL-10.
A piano is much more than just the sum of its parts and with the amazing choice of pianos available, constrained only by time and our budget, we can try comparable pianos and decide for ourself.
I agree completely with the final two sentences of Lady Bird's post.
kind regards,
Robert.

Reny27 #2868082 07/10/19 05:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Reny, are you back to piano shopping? Did you get rid of the other one you bought? I have a GL10 and really like it. It has the classic, velvety Kawai sound which I've always been partial to. You can find pianos with deeper bass, but I find the bass strings well balanced for this piano with a pleasing mellow tone. You can make it growl with the fortes, however.

One thing: rail bushings tend to be tight on these pianos, and new Japanese pianos in general, I've heard. Mine definitely was. Maybe ask your dealer if he'll ease the bushings. You can tell they're tight if you lift a key and it doesn't fall back down easily.

I'm a big fan of my GL10 and have yet to find a piano I like playing more.

-Emery

Daily driver: Kawai MP11SE
First crush: 2018 Kawai GL10
Current fling (and it's getting serious): 1999 Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,355
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission