2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 167 of 302 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 301 302
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Excellent replies!

It’s good that we always step back and reevaluate our prospective on our purchases. I am a really K.I.S.Stupid kind of guy and I play this game with myself all the time.

Those really are nit-picky cons. THANKS FOR SHARING guys!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
R
R
Originally Posted by HwyStar
Okay Friends. Where do we stand now with the NV10?

Good, bad, broken? What is the final verdict if you were to give a very simple rating from 1 - 10. Ten being the best, of course. Include all factors in your decision. Perfect, issues and and worts you encountered along the way. Just one number, please.

I would say, 8.5 as it came in the house, and 9.5 after optical and acoustical additions as I reported earlier on this forum (external amplifier and 17 additional multidirectional speakers including subwoofer). I love playing it every day, and occasionally at acoustic grand volume. Then why not a 10? Well, it just is not a real Shigeru Kawai EX...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by navindra
Pedal is too hard out of the box. I would love James/Kawai to explain why it's like this.

I'm afraid I don't know. However, I gather that the damper pedal weight has been reduced.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by navindra
Pedal is too hard out of the box. I would love James/Kawai to explain why it's like this.

I'm afraid I don't know. However, I gather that the damper pedal weight has been reduced.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hey James, how do I ensure then I get the model with the "lightened" pedal? Is there a serial number range or something I can mention to the retailer to allow them to identify the lightfoot version? I'll buy one over the next 2 weeks, so hopefully it's something that is readily available - really the pedal is the only "downside", if we want to call it like so, I could come up with.

Online Content
Hello Hecarim,

Please send me a PM with the name of the dealer that you intend to purchase the NV10 from, and I shall try to double-check for you.

Kind regards,
James
x

H
H
Thanks a lot for your help James, most appreciated.

In the PM I wrote you "beer's on me next time I'm on Tokyo". Well, if you're in Hamamatsu it might be tricky, but let's see how it goes :P

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Interesting! Pedal weighting would definitely be noticed if it were changed/fixed.

James, for those of us who "pioneered" a spring switch for the pedal weighting, could you possibly provide any data on what spring dimensions or tension rate are used in the new spring, or possibly help us procure a revised spring from Kawai?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Online Content
Gombessa, I will try to find out the specs.

Cheers,
James
x

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
FWIW, My NV10 was built in 2019. The pedal is as stiff as the one I purchased Feb. 2018. This time I elected to just wear shoes when I play and not mess with it. Last week I realized that I was not always wearing shoes and the pedal is fine. Either it loosened up by itself, or I just got used to it.

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
After reading the other “ratings, maybe I was being too harsh. Except that I’m on my third one. Which so far is perfect.

I would like to see Kawai provide a downloadable update that installed a “binaural “ option for headphones. If that is possible.
Make the display go black. Like after you select a favorite it can be turned off without turning off the sound. If that is possible.

Kawai NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TomLC

I would like to see Kawai provide a downloadable update that installed a “binaural “ option for headphones. If that is possible.

I assumed that is what SHS was? Although, I tried it pretty extensively yesterday I'm both pianist and sound modes, and couldn't tell a difference with it set to wide, forward, normal or off? I couldn't get much out of the headphone type setting either, with the exception that "inner ear" seems to bring it the treble and be a bit more brilliant.

I've not experienced a convincing binaural piano sound yet. I think it's particularly tough because there isn't a strong stereo separation to begin with, and it's always a statically positioned source (not like a helicopter buzzing around your head).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Online Content
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I tried [SHS] pretty extensively yesterday I'm both pianist and sound modes, and couldn't tell a difference with it set to wide, forward, normal or off?

I do not hear a major difference when cycling through the difference SHS settings when using Pianist mode, however I definitely hear a difference in Sound mode.

Kind regards,
James
x

H
H
Have any of you guys tried the GL10/20/30 and find the action of the NV10 to be slightly different?

I've tried a number of pianos this weekend (inc. NV10) and I fell in love with that little GL10. I also found its action to be slightly smoother than the NV10, in the sense that I perceive the NV button press as more binary / clicky, whilst the GL10 press has more softness and is more gradual, ultimately leading to best musical results for me. Is it due to the Novus tech? Can I get the NV regulated in the same fashion? Yes, I know that in theory it's the same action.

I was almost very positively surprised by the Feurich 122/125, they're damn fine machines, especially for that price.

After spending like 3 hrs on hybrids and acoustics I went back to try some digitals and boy, they did feel a bit toy-ish, even the CA98, though its soft sponginess makes playing so easy, no wonder people love it. I remain of the opinion that the closest you can get to an acoustic / hybrid action-wise is an FP90.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I do agree that outside hybrid actions the PHA-50 is among the most realistic. Certainly much better than Kawai wooden actions. Mind you, I prefer Kawai RH action over their wooden actions.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The NV10 should be almost exactly like the GL30. The key sticks are a bit longer than the GL10. Not that I could tell the difference. Like you, I really like the GL10. Regardless of the disparaging comments you read on other forums regarding it’s small size. The GL20 is only 2 inches longer, unnoticeable, but made in Japan. And of course dearer.

Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I’d say that 2 inches longer is quite noticeable.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I’d say that 2 inches longer is quite noticeable.

To the player, yes ! I agree.

Kawai NV10
Online Content
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I do agree that outside hybrid actions the PHA-50 is among the most realistic. Certainly much better than Kawai wooden actions. Mind you, I prefer Kawai RH action over their wooden actions.

That just goes to show how subjective these things are. wink

James
x

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I would imagine there is a bit more regulation done on a GL10 or to any acoustic grand piano, since there is more that is actually "happening." E.g., hammers need to hit strings, felts need to be adjusted, the damper pedal actually has to raise the damper the right height, etc.

With that said, I didn't notice much difference in the feel of the action between the NV, GL and GX, beyond what you typically feel between the same model acoustics. What I did notice is that the sound can really color your perception of the feel. The tone from a real grand is really something, and makes it hard to isolate the feel of the action as you play.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
T
T
Originally Posted by Hecarim
Have any of you guys tried the GL10/20/30 and find the action of the NV10 to be slightly different?

I've tried a number of pianos this weekend (inc. NV10) and I fell in love with that little GL10. I also found its action to be slightly smoother than the NV10, in the sense that I perceive the NV button press as more binary / clicky, whilst the GL10 press has more softness and is more gradual, ultimately leading to best musical results for me. Is it due to the Novus tech? Can I get the NV regulated in the same fashion? Yes, I know that in theory it's the same action.

I was almost very positively surprised by the Feurich 122/125, they're damn fine machines, especially for that price.

After spending like 3 hrs on hybrids and acoustics I went back to try some digitals and boy, they did feel a bit toy-ish, even the CA98, though its soft sponginess makes playing so easy, no wonder people love it. I remain of the opinion that the closest you can get to an acoustic / hybrid action-wise is an FP90.

Slightly offtopic, but would you detail a little bit how you felt about Kawai GL10? And Kawai GL30? I'm seriously thinking about purchasing the real deal when moving out from my apartment, and I would have like a 35 square meter living room where I'd like to put up a baby grand(max 170cm). Do you think Kawai GL10 is satisfactory for home usage and better than a big upright? Was the sustain long enough? I'm contemplating about GL10-GL30, however I am not able to find a place where I could try them by myself... In that price range Feurich 163 is also available, but I think Kawai would be a better option on the long run. Thanks! And sorry for being offtopic.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
Page 167 of 302 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission