2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
H
H
Thanks. Great suggestion. I had a lesson this morning and mentioned possibility of taking a roll up on vacation. Teacher said same thing . Will mess with my chops. There are a couple of piano stores in New Orleans that rent studio time.
Definitely look into that.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I believe the fee is a little more than that, but perhaps you have more experience in this area that I?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Learux

Originally Posted by Learux
Originally Posted by Burkie
Acoustic piano manufactures try their hardest to reduce the grading - you're just used to a certain grading because that's what you learned on. Change is often difficult for people come to grips with smile

Really, source please?

Still waiting on an answer.

There's a few threads on this forum discussing why the manufacturers cannot have lower key weights:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/3/main/84446/type/thread.html

Basically any lower and the parts wear out too fast, and they are therefore too expensive to maintain.

Ideally you want about 40 grams down weight across the entire keyboard. Instead of the 48-52? grams of Steinway Ds.

I think some Yamaha digitals (685?) have a 55-60 gram down weight. Obese to the tune of 50%.

Last edited by Burkie; 07/09/19 10:54 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Gombessa

The CP1 was a flagship stage piano when introduced. The montage is a flagship. These aren't low-end by any definition.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find those to test.

I assume they don't have short keys? (length to pivot point)

Last edited by Burkie; 07/09/19 11:57 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Burkie

Thanks, I'll see if I can find those to test.

I assume they don't have short keys? (length to pivot point)

From your response in another thread, you may find them equally "unplayable at the back of the keys" as NWX. NW-Stage and BHE are exactly the same, just without grading.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
R
R
Originally Posted by Groove On
For the Go Piano (or any keyboard around 35”/88cm), inexpensive gun/rifle cases can be found for less than US$100. This is the one I use, it was US$70 on Amazon.
[...]

Can I ask, does the gun case raise any questions at the airport / in public?

--
Roland FP-30, Yamaha CP73, Nektar Impact LX88+ on Cantabile
Previously: Yamaha P-115 (two years)
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by rio197
For the Go Piano (or any keyboard around 35”/88cm), inexpensive gun/rifle cases can be found for less than US$100. This is the one I use, it was US$70 on Amazon.
[...]

I’ve traveled with a Soloette travel classical guitar carried in a gun case on a number of airplanes and trains. Nobody has ever questioned me about it. A stewardess on one Air France flight found a place for it in the crew’s closet and told me she had the same guitar and case for traveling.

Last edited by LarryK; 07/11/19 08:24 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rio197
[...]

Same here, no issues traveling with the Go Piano in a gun case. I did plaster the case with stickers from Beethoven and Chopin to AC/DC and Van Halen, so it really looks like an instrument case.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Same here, no issues traveling with the Go Piano in a gun case. I did plaster the case with stickers from Beethoven and Chopin to AC/DC and Van Halen, so it really looks like an instrument case.

How funny, I am trying to do the same with my GO:Piano and the same case. I need more stickers but I am getting there.

My little GO:Piano is growing on me. I don't really play on it but for trying to figure out fingering, ear training and scales it is a very good tool.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
For anyone still looking for creative solutions, you can daisy chain 2 Seaboard Blocks for 4 octaves:
https://roli.com/products/blocks/seaboard-block

Should make for a portable solution.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Looks like Lumi snaps together magnetically as well:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playlumi/lumi-the-smarter-way-to-learn-and-play-music

$367 for two of them at the Kickstarter price.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Looks like Lumi snaps together magnetically as well:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playlumi/lumi-the-smarter-way-to-learn-and-play-music

$367 for two of them at the Kickstarter price.

Interesting, but I'm concerned the multi-colored keys could prove distracting.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
It's all customizable, it can be used in professional applications as a normal MIDI keyboard with normal MIDI programs. You can also dock it with other stuff.

Snapping two of them together for 48 keys seems like the sweet spot, although you can go all the way up to 96.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
That looks like something fun to play with but has zero benefits for a piano student.
(except ear training)

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Definitely something to consider when we are away and there is no access to piano!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
If anybody wants to practice on the road with an old school wooden keyboard, you’ve got one day to win this one on eBay:

Old School Wooden Practice Keyboard Auction

Last edited by LarryK; 07/13/19 05:22 PM.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The biggest issue I'd have with Lumi is that the keys are small. For any type of practice, but especially if we're talking about figuring out fingering, full size keys seem like a must have for a portable piano practice solution (in the context of this thread, not for general playing with a keyboard needs.)

I'm ordering a gun case for my GoPiano so I have it to take with me to Germany next month, I'd seen this idea before, but didn't realize how cheap they'd gotten now (the last time I saw a thread on this they were $100+.) Thanks Groove On!

Last edited by Chrispy; 07/13/19 11:30 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just got back from a short (one week) vacation at a holiday cottage. Yamaha p-45 did the job just fine. I have an Audi A3 and it sits behind the seats in the back seat footwells just right. I put all my "bits and pieces" stuff in the footwell first and just loaded the keyboard (in a cheap case) on top.

Only thing I think I will do is get a cheap X-Stand and take that with me. I had to balance the keyboard between two beds and sit on a small chair in the middle to get the heights right.

But practicing worked. I came back with something I was practicing better than before I went.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I'm ordering a gun case for my GoPiano so I have it to take with me to Germany next month, I'd seen this idea before, but didn't realize how cheap they'd gotten ... $100+

Really love the Go Piano/gun case setup but one downside is the weight of the plastic, all by itself my case weighs 35 pounds / 16 kilos; (with the Go Piano approx. 45 lbs / 20 kilos). That weight is usually all right for international travel, but it can take up the entire weight allowance of a local flight.

I now also have a Reface CP; it's great and fits in standard check-in luggage; but the 61-key full-sized keys makes a difference for me (I wish I could fold the Go Piano in half).

Currently I'm shopping for a durable / soft rifle case that weighs about 4 pounds / 2-3 kilos - and then I will re-enforce the interior with some sort of rigid material to protect the keyboard for check-in. I'm hoping to drop the overall weight down to around 15 pounds / 7 kilos so it's more manageable.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I'm ordering a gun case for my GoPiano so I have it to take with me to Germany next month, I'd seen this idea before, but didn't realize how cheap they'd gotten ... $100+

Really love the Go Piano/gun case setup but one downside is the weight of the plastic, all by itself my case weighs 35 pounds / 16 kilos; (with the Go Piano approx. 45 lbs / 20 kilos). That weight is usually all right for international travel, but it can take up the entire weight allowance of a local flight.

I now also have a Reface CP; it's great and fits in standard check-in luggage; but the 61-key full-sized keys makes a difference for me (I wish I could fold the Go Piano in half).

Currently I'm shopping for a durable / soft rifle case that weighs about 4 pounds / 2-3 kilos - and then I will re-enforce the interior with some sort of rigid material to protect the keyboard for check-in. I'm hoping to drop the overall weight down to around 15 pounds / 7 kilos so it's more manageable.

That certainly puts things in perspective in terms of the Piano de Voyage which weighs around 7 pounds / 3 kilos and the Osprey Farpoint 40 backpack which weighs 3 pounds/1.5 kilos for a total of 10 pounds / 5 kilos. I’ll hold out for that solution to my travel practice needs.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission