2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Have a "project" piano. It's a Ludwig Victorian Upright with sides that curve in. Going to pull the plate and replace the pinblock, among other things. Current problem is that on the bass end the curving sides interfere with removing the plate bolts. My thought is to carefully cut the portion of the side that is in the way and "artfully" re-attach it later.

Anybody been through this? Options?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Find a different "project" piano? They probably thought no one would ever want to remove the plate!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A
A
Have you got a picture of the piano? I rebuilt a Bösendorfer 200 c.1907 a couple of years ago, and needed to carve away about an inch of casework on each side to extract the frame. Not fun!

Started work at the Blüthner piano re-building workshop in Perivale, UK, in 1989. Self employed since 2000. Learning something new about pianos every day... smile

#hamiltonpianos

http://www.hamiltonpianos.com/
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Find a different "project" piano? They probably thought no one would ever want to remove the plate!

Sam

Tell that to my wife and daughter. It was my mother-in-law's...

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The case was undoubtedly glued to the back after it was strung, which means it needs to be unglued or cut off to access the back.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Adypiano
Have you got a picture of the piano? I rebuilt a Bösendorfer 200 c.1907 a couple of years ago, and needed to carve away about an inch of casework on each side to extract the frame. Not fun!

No picture right now. I think if I chiseled out enough to remove the bolts/screws, I would go through the case, but I'll check. Once the bolts/screws are out, there should be enough clearance to take it out through the top of the piano, laying on it's back of course.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
The case was undoubtedly glued to the back after it was strung, which means it needs to be unglued or cut off to access the back.

I'd thought of that. Ever do so yourself?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
B
BDB Offline
B
No. It is not worth my time or trouble. But if I were to do it, I would probably use a big circular saw and expect to fill the gap when it came time to replace the case.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff,

Since this is a Victorian upright, does it have a full plate?

If it doesn't, I wonder if removing the plate is really necessary to replace the pinblock.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D

Would restoring your mother-in-law's washing machine or car or vacuum cleaner not be a better project?

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by daniokeeper
Jeff,

Since this is a Victorian upright, does it have a full plate?

If it doesn't, I wonder if removing the plate is really necessary to replace the pinblock.

Full plate.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Boyce

Would restoring your mother-in-law's washing machine or car or vacuum cleaner not be a better project?

Uh, doubt it would be any easier if you had seen them, and items associated with drudgery don't have the same appeal. But I'll mention YOU suggested it. wink Besides, I've already received a set of custom Arledge strings for this. I'm really looking forward to it. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Haha, OK!

I've gotten terribly cynical over the years, about professions of piano sentiment, at least in my part of the world.

People say how much they love great-granny's piano, but they've never loved it enough to have it tuned or maintained in the last 30 years. And you would be surprised at the celerity and finality with which the wallet snaps shut right in front of great-granny's 'much-loved' piano, when money is mentioned.....

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Probably too difficult to locate the plate screw hole from the opposite side.
Remove the plate screw by backing it out as far as possible then take a hacksaw to it.
Drill through from the back side, open up the hole and use a bolt and eliminate the plate screw.
Or it may be possible to use a shorter plate screw with the same thread size.

Last edited by Gene Nelson; 07/09/19 04:07 PM.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
Probably too difficult to locate the plate screw hole from the opposite side.
Remove the plate screw by backing it out as far as possible then take a hacksaw to it.
Drill through from the back side, open up the hole and use a bolt and eliminate the plate screw.
Or it may be possible to use a shorter plate screw with the same thread size.

Hmmm, that has some possibilities! There's the heavy bolt on top and then there are a couple of smaller screws. Not a big deal to back them out a ways, saw some off, rinse and repeat. Hey, maybe not drill clean through for carriage bolts but install hanger bolts after the plate and pinblock are out, at least for the screws. You know the ones with wood threads on one end and machine threads on the other. Could even make some myself if need be with the right size lag bolt and a die. Hmmm....

Thanks Gene!

Other suggestions? I mean ones that don't include a convenient accident with a road flare. wink

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Attach two GOOD hinges to the back top and bottom, both sides. One hinge plate on back, and other hinge plate on edge of the sides. This is your reference for gluing the sides back on afterward in exactly the same place.

Now remove the hinge pins and with expanding clamps and a sledge hammer, remove the sides.

Remove your plate and do whatcha gotta do. Then re-attach the sides using your reference guides.

Piece of cake.

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 07/09/19 05:46 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
S
You can do this. It'll be a whole lot of fun. Pay close attention to those dreams that wake you up around three AM. {:O)

piano tuner/technician
R
R
Well, we already know that this project is established as being "Worth my time and trouble," since it was his mother-in-law's piano and both wife and daughter want it done, plus the strings are on hand.

You may find that you can actually just wedge-off the sides. The saw kerf idea is a good one; I have done it before.

The hinge idea is also good as an indexing method. However, a simpler index is to select a size of framing nail, 16d, then drill four holes, two at each end top and bottom that will go thru the case ends. They can act as relocation dowels at reassembly time. (It is amazingly easy to disguise end grain of a dowel glued into these holes later, or you can patch the holes with putty of your choice.)

Back to the wedge idea:
It is possible to find a small crack and start with multiple tiny wedges, side by side and begin to open that existing crack. if that is not available, a short saw kerf can create a starting point. It is worth a try to see if the ends' glue joints will give. If they won't, you will have lost little time or effort, so you can proceed with the saw idea.

The saw idea, already mentioned:
Using a circular saw, do repeated, guided shallow cuts. The posts will likely be the harder wood, but if you cut into them, rather than the case end material, you will preserve the integrity of the 5-ply lumber core construction typical of end panels on most pianos. Be sure to clamp or screw on a guide board so that you can repeatedly, cleanly cut in the same kerf, deepening the kerf on each pass until you max out the saw.

Before you try to pop off the ends, drill for the nails by drilling completely through the ends and at least an inch into the posts in the four locations already mentioned. You don't need to insert the nails, but do need to make sure that they provide a just-snug diameter for the nails at reassembly time. If you have a 10" circular saw, that will be plenty deep to pop off the ends with wedges in the kerfs.

The deeper the kerfs, the less tear out you will have. You will have the choice of just de-splintering as necessary or really doing clean up and reconstruction when you glue up. Of course, as already mentioned in another reply, you will need to replace the wood sawn away by the saw blade (the kerf).

P.S. Plan your "Glue 'em Back On Plan" ahead of time.

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Tuning, Concert Maintenance,
Rebuilding & Restoration
R
R
By the way,

Peter Grey's idea is by far the fastest.

If you are a gambler and prefer faster, two long clamps rigged to push out with the piano on a cradle should make quick work of it. You could be pleased to have cleanly popped ends lying on the padding you thoughtfully provided on which the ends will fall. On the other hand you could have much splintering.

It's a mystery, just waiting to unfold, but as Steve said, "It will be fun!"

And not one of us guys has to do any of the work - the best part!

Last edited by RestorerPhil; 07/09/19 08:23 PM.

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Tuning, Concert Maintenance,
Rebuilding & Restoration
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Also, heat directed at that joint between case and back can have a very beneficial effect on weakening the glue. And yes, it must be on a tilter (or laying on the floor) when removing the sides. Otherwise you know what will happen.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission