2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
UPDATE: Yesterday I purchased an NU1X! Here's the catch (and contrary to the title of my thread), I did not purchase it sight-unseen.

I was put in touch with a dealer who tend to deal mostly with Yamahas (acoustic and digital/hybrid) and they had one NU1X in stock. At the advice of the salesperson, I decided to drive down to try the piano out as whilst the NU1X is ultimately a digital piano, he did say that there are subtle differences between each model given the organic nature of the acoustic upright action.

So yesterday I hopped in the car and drove an hour and a half to Surrey and spent four hours at the dealer trying out the only NU1X they had before finally getting (what I can only describe) as an absolute steal. Big shout out to Dom at Chamberlains Music. I would highly recommend a trip there as they have lots of stock. I seem to recall they held Steinway, Yamaha, Blüthner (along with Irmler and Haessler). Possibly a few others? Dom was incredibly accommodating to my needs and even moved the NU1X into a different room for me to try in peace while other customers were playing.

The NU1X I purchased really grew on me during the four hours I was there. When I first sat down and started playing, I wasn't sure if it was for me... which was a little disheartening given I got up early on a Saturday morning and drove all that way just to try a piano. All that was required though was adjusting to the piano and how it works and how I respond to it. Once I got into things, the NU1X was pretty easy to control and as far as upright actions go, responds well to what I want. I found it a tad on the stiff side but this is a brand new piano that has hardly been played. As often with acoustic actions, over time they loosen up and will respond slightly differently once played in. I anticipate that the NU1X will be excellent once it's played in.

What I love about the NU1X is how, to me, I really do feel like I'm sitting at an acoustic upright piano. This was incredibly important for me as previously I had vowed never to return to digital pianos so finding a piano that emulated an acoustic as close as possible was a big factor and fortunately for the NU1X, it does a smashing job of this. Even the way the sound is projected out of the speakers feels like that of the sound reproduction of an upright. With the exception of the CFX concert grand sampled sounds... now THAT would be something I'd like to see in a real acoustic! Although I'm not sure how many people could fit a 9' tall upright in their home!

After what has felt like a lifetime without a piano, I am incredibly excited to take delivery of the piano. Here's to many happy years with my NU1X!

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Congrats!

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Bravo Dom at Chamberlains Music and Bravo williambonard!

Looks like it was time well spent. Enjoy your Nu1x!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Congrats on your piano. When I tried the NU1X I really liked it.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks all! I'm very much looking forward to playing it again when it arrives. I only last played the NU1X yesterday but I have fond memories of the gorgeous CFX sampled sound with its rich bass...

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission