Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
123 registered members (amad23, Animisha, Amanda_S, Andre Lev, AlphaBravoCharlie, astrotoy, anotherscott, baudelairepianist, Álvaro, 28 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? #2866460
07/06/19 02:58 AM
07/06/19 02:58 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Full title: Is Liszt's piano music pianistic or just ridiculously difficult?

So I'm on a big Liszt learning binge right now, mostly Années de pèlerinage stuff. Full disclosure: I swore off Liszt after not fully mastering Feux Follets in my teens and suffering the depression that results from such failure. But now I'm back in the fray. And it's exciting.

I'm learning 3 pieces from the Années de pèlerinage series and having a total blast with them. However, what I keep encountering are passages that seem "unpianistic". In other words, they appear to be unnecessarily difficult. But then when I deconstruct those passages and start doing the metronome routine, all of a sudden I can play them (OK I'm talking about such things as the octaves in Vallée d'Obermann and the big sequence passages in Jeux d'eau.)

Everyone I know says that Chopin wrote "for the piano" like no other composer. I just wonder whether that accolade should more appropriately be bestowed on Liszt. Let's stipulate that the 1837 version of the transcendentals was an aberration, along with the 1838 version of the Paganini etudes; the rest is pure gold, no?

Here's my hypothesis. Chopin's piano music is always pianistic in the sense that we understand that concept, but is on the whole extremely difficult to play well; Liszt's piano music is on the whole extremely difficult to play per se but is to professionally abled performers pianistic in a way that makes the technical problems conveniently surmountable and, ergo, allows the performer to more efficiently deliver the aesthetic message of the music itself. (I am so sorry for the egregious split infinitives.)

Did I get this right or horribly wrong?

SRF
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2866462
07/06/19 03:09 AM
07/06/19 03:09 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
H

IMO Chopin's music fall under the hands better.
But if you have practiced a lot of Czerny, scales, octaves and have good finger dexterity and octave technique, then Liszt's music is more straightforward to play than Chopin.
For Chopin, IMO it is also necessary to develop the technique that is needed to play Chopin.
IMO the main difficulty in Liszt is speed. One really has to have the chops to pull it off.

Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2866465
07/06/19 03:18 AM
07/06/19 03:18 AM
R
rmns2bseen Offline
rmns2bseen  Offline
R

I love both Chopin and Liszt, and as far as difficulty is concerned Chopin can be pretty tough in his own right. But I think Liszt had the more "expansive" musical mind. I think Liszt was thinking orchestrally much of the time (though not always), while Chopin was content to let the piano be a piano (though again not always).

Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: rmns2bseen] #2866467
07/06/19 03:36 AM
07/06/19 03:36 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
I think Liszt had the more "expansive" musical mind. I think Liszt was thinking orchestrally much of the time (though not always), while Chopin was content to let the piano be a piano (though again not always).

I think that is a hugely relevant observation.

SRF
Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2866513
07/06/19 08:05 AM
07/06/19 08:05 AM
S
Sidokar Online content
Sidokar  Online Content
S

I always felt Chopin to be more melodic and Liszt indeed more orchestral, sort of more magistral and grand. The technical elements in Chopin are completely blended into the music so I do not see his music as virtuosic for the sake of it. With Liszt, the virtuosic parts sometimes stand out as if added on purpose, as if Liszt couldnt help but had to have some difficulty imbedded.

Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2866587
07/06/19 01:35 PM
07/06/19 01:35 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by SiFi
I think Liszt had the more "expansive" musical mind. I think Liszt was thinking orchestrally much of the time (though not always), while Chopin was content to let the piano be a piano (though again not always).

thumb As someone who loves all of Liszt and enjoys all of Chopin, I think this observation is apt.

[Linked Image]
Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2866654
07/06/19 04:43 PM
07/06/19 04:43 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted by SiFi

Couldn't agree more. As a consequence much of Liszt's piano music sound less like pieces composed directly for the piano and more like piano reductions of orchestral pieces to me. Chopin's piano music is idiosyncratic to the piano. Many of Beethoven's sonatas have an orchestral quality, but ultimately (to me) they sound like characteristic piano pieces where Beethoven has stretched to the outer limits what the piano can do and still sound like a piano. Brahms and Debussy both composed piano pieces that make use of the piano's unique abilities. Faure, too. Which is to say, as fun as Liszt's piano pieces can me, there are other composers (IMHO) who composed better for the piano's inherent strengths and weaknesses.

August Förster 215
Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2866659
07/06/19 05:02 PM
07/06/19 05:02 PM
Scotland
R
ronde des sylphes Offline
ronde des sylphes  Offline
R

Scotland
I have to say that, as far as I'm concerned, Liszt's writing is significantly more pianistic than Chopin's in the harder works, with the caveat that things like the 1837 TEs and the 1838 Paganinis are on a different level.

Often when Liszt has written something which *looks* difficult on the page, a bit of work will reveal an internal logic to the passage, which, once understood, renders it surprisingly playable. I'd say that Chopin writes "against the hand" far more often than Liszt does, and Liszt is skilled at extracting pianistic effect in a relatively economical manner (particularly once you get into the middle period of his life). Of course, all ths being said, the pianist needs to have good octaves and arpeggios and, probably to a lesser extent, scales: but these are after all the building blocks of good technique.

Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2877592
08/08/19 10:11 AM
08/08/19 10:11 AM
The Woodlands, TX
A
achoo42 Offline
achoo42  Offline
A

The Woodlands, TX
You're right for the most part. Liszt's music is often very pianistic. Often it will have a high degree of mechanical difficulty but once you get there, you have it.

He's very good at making things sound much harder than they are. Chopin is generally pretty pianistic as well, just look as his etudes; horribly difficult until you have the technique for them. Schumann, on the other hand, is awkward to play no matter what, even his "easy-sounding" pieces. Don't play Schumann if you want something pianistic!

Schumann is the mann.
Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2880048
08/16/19 01:58 AM
08/16/19 01:58 AM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
I find Brahms to be very un-pianistic, though I love his music.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2880209
08/16/19 10:53 AM
08/16/19 10:53 AM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
I'm not sure where the research, the HIP people, stand on all this most recently, but I think the key to it is square piano vs. modern piano.

We (almost?) get to the modern concert grand with Liszt, with all its orchestral qualities . . . and lots of tremolos. Chopin is more bel canto, florid, intimate. But he really understood how it make things fall under the fingers, back in the keys.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2880319
08/16/19 03:44 PM
08/16/19 03:44 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

Hi, SiFi -- Two comments regarding your hypothesis --

My understanding is that Liszt was an exceptionally hard worker at the piano in his youth, spending several hours a day perfecting all the technical skills associated with the emerging modern piano. And so to me, it is likely that what even accomplished pianists regarded as virtually unplayable passages, he could in fact perform, and with musical grace. In that sense, I compare him to Art Tatum, the Jazz pianist whose technical feats at breakneck speeds were legendary, but who also spent several hours per day maintaining his craft -- that is to say, there was a great deal of perspiration in addition to exceptional natural ability.

From a composition standpoint, I tend to agree most with writer/pianist Charles Rosen, who suggested that Liszt's greatest contribution to piano literature was his introduction of new pianistic soundscapes, new possibilities in attaining orchestral breadth, and across the entire range of the keyboard, and much of that derived from the prodigious technical challenges that sometimes only he could achieve. And I think again of Tatum in the Jazz world -- jaw-dropping feats of technical wizardry in his performances of American Songbook Standards.

And so -- unpianistic? With Liszt, not really -- in the sense that, for example, some piano reduction scores of orchestral pieces can be virtually unplayable or at best clumsy if approached literally. But much of his output does presuppose complete command of technical challenges at the keyboard -- i.e., you HAVE to have major "chops" to present his music effectively.

Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2880393
08/16/19 06:51 PM
08/16/19 06:51 PM
R
rmns2bseen Offline
rmns2bseen  Offline
R

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

And so -- unpianistic? With Liszt, not really -- in the sense that, for example, some piano reduction scores of orchestral pieces can be virtually unplayable or at best clumsy if approached literally. But much of his output does presuppose complete command of technical challenges at the keyboard -- i.e., you HAVE to have major "chops" to present his music effectively.

I love Liszt's transcriptions of seven Bach organ works. Liszt doesn't inject himself into the music as much as some later transcribers did. They're pretty faithful and provide something of an illusion of the organ's grandeur - although of course a replication of that on a piano is impossible. But it does sound "pianistic" and it sometimes gives me the feeling that this is what Bach might have sounded like if he had known the modern piano. I think Liszt's transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies are also really good, though I've never tried to play any of them. In short I believe Liszt was usually thinking more "musically" than strictly pianistically most of the time.

Re: Is Liszt's Piano Music Really Pianistic? [Re: SiFi] #2880396
08/16/19 07:05 PM
08/16/19 07:05 PM
K
kbrod1 Offline
kbrod1  Offline
K

I tried my hands at Feux Follets 40 plus years ago and it was depressingly beyond my capabilities and I thought I was quite good at the time technically. Fortunately I was able to listen to Lazar Berman's reissue that was new to the US then of the set and forget my sorrows. The album also had the 3rd Rhapsody and a phenomenal Spanish Rhapsody which before that I thought was trash but he made it fantastic.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Correct wrist position and CTS
by Tom97. 09/22/19 02:19 PM
Easy violin-piano duet suggestions?
by Qwerty53. 09/22/19 01:49 PM
Kawai CS8...what happened?
by Andre Lev. 09/22/19 12:37 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,164
Posts2,872,112
Members94,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission