2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
@EPW: Write a PM to Frank. I don't think he'll ever bother to read a thread title "forum withdrawal symptoms".

I looked at the User List page and compiled a list of subscriber/supporters.
This is tedious ... as there are 1843 pages, so I looked at just the first 500 pages.
I found that among the top 2500 most frequent posters ...
Bronze level . . . . . 4
Silver level. . . . . 18
Gold level. . . . . . 11
Platinum level . . . . 4
Unobtainium level. . . 1

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, mobile usage has been neglected a lot. Reading is OK now but posting is major pain in the a**. I abandon probably a third of my posts due to frustration and anger with the mobile experience and I use this forum more than 80% from my iPhone. Which I guess is beneficial since it limits my ability to spam too much laugh

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Yes, mobile usage has been neglected a lot. . . Which I guess is beneficial since it limits my ability to spam too much laugh

lol

Maybe this forum just needs a "Gordon Ramsey of internet design"; make it new, fresh, modern and appealing. The ads will roll in and soon, the owner will bathe in Benjamins...

OP Offline
Or just get a computer, with a nice big screen and a keyboard and a mouse. smile

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Or just get a computer, with a nice big screen and a keyboard and a mouse. smile

Most of us do have those already, but a lot of our online activity trends towards mobile access where we can't really lug a desktop smile

I feel like this discussion had been had before!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

This kind of thinking is actually the same as “why wouldn’t I ask people to pay me a subscription to post in my forum” wink I hope it won’t get interpreted as dismissive towards elderly people though. I respect my mom and dad despite their old fashioned views.

P.S. I bought a smartphone for my mom this January. She’s 71. She initially rejected the idea but is now so fascinated by it she rarely uses her desktop computer now smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/04/19 03:09 PM.

OP Offline
Granted that you can't lug a desktop around. I was thinking of a laptop.
Yes, a laptop is second-rate for screen, keyboard, and mouse. Still ... not too bad.

But for me ... thinking that I could deal with things online using a phone with 6" screen?
That's far beyond convenient no matter what is done for site optimization.
PW might be worse than most, as you suggest. But they're all unsuitable for me.

Not being able to surf on a phone is like not being able to walk across the Sahara.
I cannot do either, and I won't attempt either.

There might someday be a solution.
We've already seen the Microsoft goggles headset, and there are several other newer ones of that ilk on the market.
(I mean the augmented reality kind, not the sealed-in-a-room Oculus gaming kind.)

For now they're all quite expensive, with limited resolution and narrow field-of-view.
But I hope someday they'll be as good as a proper desktop with two (no, four!) large screen monitors!

Now ... what about keyboard and mouse? frown

OP Offline
As I re-read that last post ... I realize that I've taken this still farther off topic. frown

O
O

Originally Posted by TomLC
Originally Posted by Chopin Acolyte
Wow, I never knew that running a forum can be financially devastating to someone.

If there are 1700 active members, $5 a month would likely cover his cost and pay him for the time and the frustration of running a business. Even maybe update the website. Everyone else can still read the forum for free. They will be able to see the post and decide if it is worth it to join for as little as $3 a month. OTOH, if he is getting tired of all the responsibility. He might be able to hire (contract) with someone who loves piano and is willing to take it over for a monthly stipend.

1700 members at $5 a month is $8500 a month.

While I dare say I’ve missed a ton of needed things, hence the price would be a lot more, a quick google for forum hosting sites, first one, their top tier is £200 a year.

https://www.a2hosting.com/web-hosting/compare

I can’t see it costing more than $500 a month to pay for the server/software usage. That would leave around $8000 a month. Presuming only one persons being paid, that’s a very nice earner, and if it was remotely possible to achieve this, all forums would have gone the subscription route years ago.

Personally I think a forum such as this needs to be run by volunteers who are in it for the love they have for pianos.

Sure if donations are enough that there’s spare cash at the end of the year, take a small payment for your time (or keep the money for those months where donations aren’t enough), but running it as a money making business simply will not work.

All that will happen is the forum will slowly die, as newcomers will see this forum as a way of someone making money, and will seek advice elsewhere.

While I won’t be subscribing, one thing I do know is that paying subs and still having only 1/2 of the screen visible, with both the left and right hand columns still having ads, will be a big no no for many people. Sure many of those that are currently here and love the community will probably be happy to sub and put up with the ads, but most new people won’t.

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/04/19 07:04 PM.

[Linked Image]
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo

One question - are there 1700 members regularly posting here each month? I only really frequent the DP forums, but it seems we may have a couple dozen folks who post in the course of a month, maybe 100 who have one post in the last 30 days? How is it in other forums?

I can’t see it costing more than $500 a month to pay for the server/software usage.

That's $6000/year. Frank's post mentions it costs him $10k/year in operational cost, so you're probably not far off (since other than just hosting fees, he probably has to contract with developers for regular maintenance, upgrades, etc.). I think the main question is, does the board have enough posting members (not just lurkers) to cover the costs and make it worth investing in the board to offset any lost traffic/participation from being subscription-only?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I can’t see it costing more than $500 a month to pay for the server/software usage. That would leave around $8000 a month. Presuming only one persons being paid, that’s a very nice earner, and if it was remotely possible to achieve this, all forums would have gone the subscription route years ago."

So you don't think the owner of this forum should make $72,000 a year? Before taxes? That is maybe, barely, a livable wage. Then why would he continue to do it?

Kawai NV10
OP Offline
Yes, Tom. There are many naysayers.

It won't work!
He has no right to expect an income from this!
Running it as a money making business simply will not work!

So sayeth those who have never run a business, but want to tell someone else how to do so!

But maybe the subscription model will serve to drive out the know-it-alls?

OP Offline
I studied this question a number of times, most recently in February. I found that 61% of registered users have NEVER posted, and 91% have posted no more than 10 times.
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Are there 1700 members regularly posting here each month?
The answer is no (sort of). A small number of people post frequently. But many post only rarely or not at all. The latter will surely remain non-subscribers.

So I wouldn't expect to find 1700 members to subscribe ...
... even though it's only $3 per month, not $5.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
I think the main question is, does the board have enough posting members (not just lurkers) to cover the costs and make it worth investing in the board to offset any lost traffic/participation from being subscription-only?
There's one thing missing ... the piano supplies side of the business. That must generate some revenue, but we know not how significant that might be.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
We are all looking at this from our perspective. Frank might be making a killing and wants to increase it. He must be having a ball reading all of this.

Kawai NV10
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
As for statistics about who might still be here if it goes subscription -

I have over 6K posts. I don't post as often as I once did, BUT I STILL DONATE. So there is at least some inaccuracy about guessing that those that don't post so often will be gone smile How much? Hard to say.

I'm a regular in the ABF, but, as evidenced by this post, I do check in to other forums. So - I'll suggest what I suggested in the ABF -

instead of discussing whether a subscription, or pledge, or whatever form might work - why not just donate? It's easy, there's a button at the bottom of the screen, and we could probably make this whole discussion irrelevant laugh

You never know -

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
OP Offline
@jotur: When I suggested that people who post little would be less likely to subscribe ... I was thinking of you.

Here are the stats I did not reveal earlier:

MEMBER . . . . . .POSTS . . .LEVEL
BruceD. . . . . . 22,652 . . Gold
Rich Galassini. . 11,392 . . Platinum
jotur. . . . . . . 6,523 . . Gold
Tyrone Slothrop. . 5,085 . . Platinum
dogperson. . . . . 4,048 . . Silver
cmb13. . . . . . . 2,641 . . Silver
Stubbie. . . . . . 2,233 . . Gold
Beemer. . . . . . .2,211 . . Bronze
kpembrook. . . . . 2,029 . . Platinum
David Boyce. . . . 1,834 . . Gold
Rich D . . . . . . 1,498 . . Gold
Almaviva . . . . . 1,269 . . Bronze
Serge88. . . . . . . 990 . . Silver
Chrispy. . . . . . . 945 . . Gold
TomLC. . . . . . . . 779 . . Gold
That Guy . . . . . . 771 . . Silver
pwl. . . . . . . . . 584 . . Silver
OneWatt. . . . . . . 508 . . Bronze
MH1963 . . . . . . . 495 . . Silver
MarieJ . . . . . . . 420 . . Gold
piRround . . . . . . 385 . . Gold
Rosewood17 . . . . . 324 . . Silver
michaelvi. . . . . . 317 . . Silver
ElaineAllegro. . . . 298 . . Silver
MeganR . . . . . . . 279 . . Silver
dhull100 . . . . . . 234 . . Platinum
nancyde. . . . . . . 231 . . Silver
AnthonyPaulO . . . . 168 . . Unobtainium
AprilE . . . . . . . 165 . . Silver
Michael. . . . . . . 157 . . Silver
jshelton . . . . . . 144 . . Silver
pianosuzemn . . . . . 81 . . Silver
lvojnovic . . . . . . 52 . . Silver
Aspiring. . . . . . . 50 . . Silver
vibavi attigala . . . 48 . . Bronze
Bach48. . . . . . . . 42 . . Gold
peterd. . . . . . . . 38 . . Silver
swiss_boy . . . . . . 32 . . Gold

Last edited by MacMacMac; 07/04/19 08:55 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Could be there are more people, like me, who subscribed recently (June 2, Silver) but don't show up on the list yet.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
That is true, TX-Bluebonnet, and some people who subscribe/donate don't choose to show the badge.

yes, I have >6K posts, but they're kinda front-loaded. I check in a lot these days, but I don't post much.

I know that making that list must have been time-consuming - but Sam S has >3k posts and he's at the gold level.

So I'm just not sure that it's entirely valid. Interesting list, tho, eh?

Last edited by jotur; 07/04/19 10:33 PM.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As much as I love this forum, and with all due respect to Frank, but forums are a free thing by definition and should remain a free thing. They are not a business. I think he will realize that when he introduces the subscription.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission