2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How about a metered system where users paid/character?!

Learner

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I would think that when subscriptions to PW become mandatory and details are made clear, Frank will let us all know by a well-publicized announcement rather than through a passing mention buried in another thread.

In the meantime, let's keep speculation to a minimum and patiently wait and see what transpires and when.

Regards,

Works for me. FWIW, I owe this site a lot and will stick around -- in fact, I had already subscribed before the announcement.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hadn't contributed anything since a store purchase years ago, so I went ahead and subscribed last night.

I don't see the option on my profile page to display the subscription badge. Hey, Dogperson, I see you have 2 on yours shocked , is one of those mine? laugh

Last edited by TX-Bluebonnet; 07/03/19 11:13 AM.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'll stick around as well. But *if* it was my site/forum I'd think about providing an 'introductory' membership for $1, valid for a year and allowing say one post a week only - for the forum to avoid a death through starvation of new members there has to be an easy entry point so that folks can learn its value.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing
I'll stick around as well. But *if* it was my site/forum I'd think about providing an 'introductory' membership for $1, valid for a year and allowing say one post a week only - for the forum to avoid a death through starvation of new members there has to be an easy entry point so that folks can learn its value.

Agree in concept, although not necessarily in value. Maybe a few dollars, as $1 is too trivial to make it worth while from a bookkeeping standpoint. $9.99 / 6 month intro? Anyone with a question would think that's worthwhile.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I would think that when subscriptions to PW become mandatory and details are made clear, Frank will let us all know by a well-publicized announcement rather than through a passing mention buried in another thread.

What Bruce said. In Frank's post, in the Where's my Badge post, he wrote
The forums will likely be changing to an all subscription model soon.

S, it's not a done deal, there's no timeline yet etc. "Likely" is a pretty strong word, but I think speculation is premature.

Having said that, I understand the impulse to think about how to react. I've been a member here since 2004 -- 15 years! I have posted much less in the last few years, but always lurk. And now that I'm starting a grand search, I've been posting in the Piano Forum a lot. I have been assuming I'll really rely on the Piano Forum as my search continues. Even if I pay a subscription, how many others would? Would the drop in posting members impact the amount and quality of advice?

Guess I better hurry up and ask all my stupid questions, before it's too late! whome

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 07/03/19 11:40 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Guess I better hurry up and ask all my stupid questions, before it's too late! whome

Certainly, if you wait too long, you might find there are fewer stupid answers to you stupid questions! whome

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
Oh, interesting.
I have just looked up the original post and it says: "The forums will likely be changing to an all subscription model soon. "

Since "likely" is not "certainly"...maybe nothing will change at all?
Maybe this post is just meant as a "shake up", so that people get more aware of the financial burden, that a forum owner has to deal with.

I am very new myself and I probably would not have signed up, if I had to pay for it.

So I think, this option:

is a rather good one.

After using this forum more regularly (for a couple of months or so), I would “likely” ( grin) be willing to subscribe it...but I definetly would not do that in advance as completly new user. I wanna know, what I am paying for.

Last edited by Pinkiepie; 07/03/19 12:04 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pinkiepie
...but I definetly would not do that in advance as completly new user. I wanna know, what I am paying for.

Reading would still be free, so just by browsing anybody can get an idea.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The crazy thing is of course that the content providers would be paying, and the lurkers would be getting it for free. It ought to be the other way around, but of course making the posts invisible to newcomers would totally prevent newcomers from entering - unless it got the status of a mystic cult. smile

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
R
R
Based on previous discussions about forum slowness, I think the cost of supporting pianoworld is higher than it could be due to forum software being used (ubb threads). Same with mobile support.

I am happy to host an always free piano forum using some other software. I have enough disposable income to host a large forum for many years. Of course building it doesn’t mean people will come. Pianoworld has a long history and very supportive members.

And maybe posting here about a competing forum might get me banned by admins. Or not.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
I happened across Frank's post because I never got a badge after donating last year. It wasn't important enough to me to remember to email a request for my badge. But the recent post prompted me to renew my donation (do I have a badge yet?!).

I get so much out of this community, especially finding new music to play. It also helped me in my piano search last year. Definitely worth my support.

I understand that many contributors dislike the proposed auto-renew aspect (but it would only take a few minutes to go in and cancel it), and that many are on tight budgets. So voluntary contributions would seem best, but that has, apparently, not generated enough response to support the forums adequately. Answer: donate, people, if you are able!

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by cmb13

Agree in concept, although not necessarily in value. Maybe a few dollars, as $1 is too trivial to make it worth while from a bookkeeping standpoint. $9.99 / 6 month intro? Anyone with a question would think that's worthwhile.

We do like in an age of micro payments, and bookkeeping has to be a fully automatic process if you are running a site with thousands of members.

Frankly whatever the entrance cost is it will be too much for many. Going further, even if the financial cost is zero and the process of registering is too fiddly the cost is too high for many.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of a $10 initial hurdle. If I wasn't willing to do $1 for a year I'd do $1 for a weeks questions and unlimited posts to your question's threads, if the forum software supports that sort of thing. Actually I wouldn't, if I couldn't make it pay on a voluntary basis or even run within what I was willing to afford I'd try to find someone else to host the forum but that's just me and I have no problem with Frank hoping to get a return from his time/investment, if that is indeed what he is aiming at.

Last edited by gwing; 07/03/19 12:45 PM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
The crazy thing is of course that the content providers would be paying, and the lurkers would be getting it for free. It ought to be the other way around, but of course making the posts invisible to newcomers would totally prevent newcomers from entering - unless it got the status of a mystic cult. smile

Now that’s pure irony!. It reminds me of MuseScore, in which you have to pay to become a member if you want to upload your submissions, however, reviewing or downloading submissions is free. That never really made a lot of sense to me.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
How about a metered system where users paid/character?!

Lol a couple of people here wouldn't be happy about that!
Surely that would put an end to the endless rambling about the best learning methods, or telling the story of one's life every other post laugh

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
In my earlier post I jumped the gun by assuming that going subscription-based was a 'given' whereas it was mentioned as a 'likelihood.' Apologies for that.
One of the major advantages of this forum, which I suspect makes it more expensive to run, is the lack of intrusive advertising. It's like a breath of fresh air compared with many other internet sites. Perhaps I'm being over-hasty in implying that I wouldn't pay! Surely it's worth paying for - a haven from the lunacy of the internet to discuss a favourite subject?
I suspect a 'trial period' could be arranged for newcomers, btw, or an 'advert-free experience' for paying members with free members enjoying all the ads (mind-you, ad-blockers can be quite effective, so not necessarily a good approach.) We'll see, I guess.....

regards
Pete
F
F
Well, I'm retired on a fixed income so I guess I'm out. I can't argue with the decision, it costs money to run these things. Good luck all!

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
A big part of the cost may come from maintaining the availability of every post made on this forum since its inception. While it's a nice thing to have, is it really necessary to have instant access to historical posts? How often do you come to this forum to read a thread that was last updated in 2005 versus an active discussion that was last updated three minutes ago? Some kind of a rolling discussion where posts older than X months or years are automatically archived and removed from the active part of the forum or maybe even deleeted would likely result in a significant saving in the resources required to run this thing and still maintain the most popular part, i.e. the active discussions.

According to a post earlier in this thread, this forum has 93,000 members. How many of those are what you could call active, i.e. how many of these people come here to read what's new, and how many are people that last visited this site many years ago and have long forgotten that they ever signed up and have moved on to other interests or died. I suspect that the first number is a much smaller number than the second.

I suppose it largely comes down to the reason why this forum exists. Whether it's being done as a hobby or a labour of love, or if it's intended to be a profit-making enterprise.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

This would be very boring for us though, because we would answer the newbie's question, give them suggestions, and then we would have to wait for a week to find out what they thought about it.

I'd do $1 for a weeks questions and unlimited posts to your question's threads.

That is a much better idea! smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A language forum recently closed down. The "owner" was frustrated with the drama. And the income did not cover his time at a reasonable rate. That is understandable. On the other hand, some "members" were slightly miffed by the amount of volunteer time they put into educational posts that have disappeared forever. And the loss of good reference materials.

Unfortunately, old websites and images disappear over time. Forums with substantive content are on a downward spiral. Like it or not, this is a consequence of concentrating global media power into just a few hands, mainly those of Zuckerberg, Bezos, and Google.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission