2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Dave1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I've had this problem before (piano arrived damaged, with broken off paint and wood chips in the box, no damage at all to the shipping packaging). I refused delivery.

What's the discount they offer?

It looks like there's cosmetic damage to the left cheekblock. Is that the only damage? Can Kawai send you a new cheekblock to replace the damaged one?

How comfortable are you with a damaged product? Will you look at it every day and wish you had a pristine unit?

Gombessa,

I could not refuse delivery because there was not damage to the box. I opened the box and the unit had the cosmetic damage to the left cheekblock. I notified the dealer as soon as I opened the box and sent him pictures. I did not even test the keyboard. The pictures I e-mailed to the dealer showed I did not remove the transparent protective tape over the keys. I'm going to upload one of those pictures here. I did not remove tape and did not test the unit until the dealer told me to do so one or two days later. It was then when I noticed the problem with the keys. I notified dealer about the problem with the keys and a video was submitted to Kawai

Last edited by Dave1; 07/02/19 05:03 PM.
D
Dave1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I've had this problem before (piano arrived damaged, with broken off paint and wood chips in the box, no damage at all to the shipping packaging). I refused delivery.

What's the discount they offer?

It looks like there's cosmetic damage to the left cheekblock. Is that the only damage? Can Kawai send you a new cheekblock to replace the damaged one?

How comfortable are you with a damaged product? Will you look at it every day and wish you had a pristine unit?

I contacted them about both options: 1-keeping unit with cosmetic damage,covered under Kawai warranty and a discount (I did not even suggested a figure, "let's just talk about it" 2- full refund or replacement without shipping charges.

No reply

D
Dave1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Having emailed, you now need to call the dealer, and ask how they intend to resolve this. Does the phone always go to voicemail. They should return your call if you leave a voicemail, but I would persist with the attempt to make direct phone contact as much as a pain it might be.

I just called and e-mailed again. When I call they transfer me to employees who say not to have the authority . I asked to talk to a higher position employee without any luck. I will not wait much longer until I tell you the name of the dealer. I would not want another person to have to go through this. Some of you may disagree but I am not pleased with Kawai either.

Last edited by Dave1; 07/02/19 05:59 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
For a non-responsive dealer or one that seems to be passing you around departments, I would say you should wash your hands of it. If they're treating you this way now, how do you know you'll ever get full a full remedy, and what will you expect of them if something else goes wrong?

Demand a full refund, including shipping fees (and have them cover the return shipping cost) due to damaged/non-functional merchandise. Make a record of when you called and what you asked for. If they don't respond, file a dispute with your card issue and request a chargeback on the full amount.

You have to understand that Kawai is in a bit of a bind here. They're not privy to the transaction between you and the dealer, and they don't know both sides of the story. The fact that the unit was damaged without box damage does suggest something happened during manufacturing/shipping, but it's understandable that they want you to try to fix things through the dealer first. E.g., they don't know if you're privately worked out a monetary settlement with the dealer to keep the damaged merchandise, and then called Kawai to get a warranty fix (double dipping). Your first point of action should be with the dealer that sold you the goods.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately you have haphazard US consumer protection laws over different states. Filing a small dollar claim in state N from California is a non-starter and the seller knows that.

Fortunately, US credit card companies can be quite accommodating in these types of situations. Read up on the internet how your card deals with large hardware broken in transit from another state and a non-responsive vendor. I don't know if you want to inform the credit card company just yet or wait until the holiday week ends. As the transaction was cleared weeks ago, I just don't know if time is of the essence for the credit card.

Getting a reimbursement from the credit card company will take months; from a practical perspective I don't think that matters too much but the process is somewhat painful and time consuming.

UPS and any shipping insurance may have some tighter reporting requirements.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
When we received our first digital piano (cannot remember the model )there was damage to
a wooden panel on delivery.We contacted the Kawai dealer and he said he that the Kawai
factory would supply a new wood panel and a technician would replace it into the piano.
About a month later we traded in the Kawai digital for a new Roland Lx17.
The Kawai dealer was told about this transaction and they said we would receive the wood
panel in the post and we should contact the technician who would take the panel to the dealer who sold us the Roland.(they now had the Kawai piano which had not been sold yet)
Long story short the Kawai technician collected the panel went to the dealer who now had our traded in Kawai piano and installed the panel into the piano.
Best wishes

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
I'm on a different continent, but any time I needed to get the credit card company involved, I had to wait 30 days for the seller to fix things, and if they didn't the money was refunded immediately after that.

Perhaps Kawai's solution to Lady Bird's piano problem would be the easiest for everyone involved. Maybe that has to be sorted out between Kawai and the dealer.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Dave,

I'm sorry to read that the dealer is proving unresponsive.

I would like to assist, but am a little reluctant to get involved, especially as you are already in contact with Kawai America staff regarding this matter.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
Dave1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Dave,

I'm sorry to read that the dealer is proving unresponsive.

I would like to assist, but am a little reluctant to get involved, especially as you are already in contact with Kawai America staff regarding this matter.

Kind regards,
James
x

James,
Thank you. I understand

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
...BTW, you've not mentioned the name of the retailer.

GOOD! for Dave that he hasn't.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission