2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion here of Frank's decision to make this website subscription-only, where everyone can read the content but only paid subscribers will be allowed to post.

Does anyone have thoughts on what this may do to the number and quality of the posts here? I'm sure it will become a sleepier place than it is now. What do you think?

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
April Fools?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Oh just read the thread. I guess you’re right.

I wonder how much it costs to run the site and how much revenue he needs to generate. I wonder if it could be raised by donation if enough people chipped in.

Regardless I’ve been subscribing for a while and will be happy to continue to do so. Hopefully enough of the active members will continue to do so to keep it active. We should put together a list to see if viable.

The lowest level, Bronze, is $2.99. Multiplied by 12, that’s < $36 / year. Less than the cost of one single lesson. Well worth it IMO.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Wow, I saw the post, but didn't scroll down below the graphic, so I missed the bit about subscription required to post.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13

I wonder how much it costs to run the site and how much revenue he needs to generate. I wonder if it could be raised by donation if enough people chipped in.

Regardless I’ve been subscribing for a while and will be happy to continue to do so. Hopefully enough of the active members will continue to do so to keep it active. We should put together a list to see if viable.

The lowest level, Bronze, is $2.99. Multiplied by 12, that’s < $36 / year. Less than the cost of one single lesson. Well worth it IMO.

$29 / year with the annual subscription. I feel it's a small price to pay for what I get out of it. Maybe there will be more posting now with people trying to get their money's worth. smile

I'm curious if a subscription is needed to submit to the online recitals.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet

$29 / year with the annual subscription. I feel it's a small price to pay for what I get out of it. Maybe there will be more posting now with people trying to get their money's worth. smile

I would assume so, particularly given that the recitals are memory intensive.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet

I would assume so, particularly given that the recitals are memory intensive.

In more ways than one, apparently. laugh

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FrankCox
I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion here of Frank's decision to make this website subscription-only, where everyone can read the content but only paid subscribers will be allowed to post.

Does anyone have thoughts on what this may do to the number and quality of the posts here? I'm sure it will become a sleepier place than it is now. What do you think?

Didn't know about it until I read your post - that's what I get for just hanging out in the ABF. And the announcement seems to be hidden in another post, so not very informative.

My first thoughts? If he starts charging he's going to have to upgrade and go mobile friendly. I say that even though I pay monthly already, but it's a voluntary "donation". If you start charging, then you have customers that have to be satisfied.

And it will probably cut down on the new posters. There are plenty of places on the internet where you can get questions answered for free.

The online recitals are hosted here, but they are not tied into the username/password database. As they exist right now, no PW account is required to participate.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I also donate, currently at a gold level. But not at the new gold level.

The way I read it - you will automatically get charged monthly or yearly unless you opt out. I *hate* automatic renewals and I wouldn't do it here. So if I subscribed for yearly (at a level less than my current one) would it automatically renew? If so, I won't.

His post also says you can subscribe without a paypal account, but I couldn't find that option.

And it's not clear whether if you just donate - say, my current amount - you could still post, or if you have to actually use the "subscribe" option and have - an automatic renewal?

Some questions from me, anyway.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I'm with you on automatic renewals....I generally don't do them. I do have a PayPal account linked to a very low limit credit card that I use for this forum, though, and it automatically renews for me. Just an idea.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ah, EDIT - the subscribe w/o a paypal account is under "use a dr or cr card".

I do donate at > than the gold subscription, but < the platinum subscription smile

And I don't want automatic renewals laugh

Can I donate, without 'subscribing", and still post? If there's no automatic renewal on the subscription I'm willing to subscribe and just remember to renew each year.

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Just send me the check, Cathy, I'll figure it out! lolol

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

B
B
Originally Posted by FrankCox

At the risk of sounding stupid, where is Franks post to be found regarding this decision?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bett
... where is Franks post to be found regarding this decision?

I also missed the announcement - until this thread was posted.

Here is the announcement:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2865260/i-subscribed-wheres-my-badge.html

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I also missed the announcement. If I decide not to subscribe, I guess that means I will not be able to admin the recitals anymore frown

It's not that I do not value the forums or that I don't understand why this is needed, I just have some issues with such subscriptions in general and I sometimes think I should hang out here and post less anyway...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I missed it too. Why not create a subreddit and call it ABF? I think it's free.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Just send me the check, Cathy, I'll figure it out! lolol

<snort>

Cathy
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
This is very sad. I would be willing to subscribe, but with less new people coming in, and members eventually not renewing their subscriptions, there will be fewer and fewer people to keep this forum alive.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
O
O
I saw the thread title, but thought it was aimed at those voluntarily subscribing who didn’t have their badge, hence didn’t even read it.

I won’t be subscribing.

While some will argue that it’s only the price of a coffee/Ice cream etc, those people don’t realise not everyone has a disposable income, not everyone is working, not everyone lives in wealthy countries like say the USA, UK etc.

I can’t work for health reasons. Money is very tight (easily survivable but tight). I can assure you there’s many people in far worse situations than I’m in.

I go out for a meal 4 times a year. On my, my wife’s and my now grown up kids birthdays . I’ve only ever gone into Starbucks etc 3 times in my life.

Micro transactions all add up. £2 here a month, £5 there. For many of us, there’s only so much money to go round each month, and sadly if I had spare money, paying to make a few posts a year on here would not be anywhere near the top of my list.

There are plenty of other places with tons of piano info that don’t charge.

If every forum I visit semi regularly decided to charge the same amount, before I know it I would be paying £100 + a month just for full forum access.

Even if I could afford it (and if that was the case and it’s a forum I used all the time, I would voluntarily donate the odd £5 every few months) I wouldn’t support it out of principle. The last thing I want is charging to post becoming the norm for forums.

Very few new people are going to pay to ask a question, I suspect the amount of new posters will drop considerably.

What does need to happen is the post saying it’s sub only, needs to be reposted with a correct title so people know by its title that this site is becoming subscription only.

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/03/19 03:55 AM.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't believe a website whose value comes from independent content creators, can survive if it charges these content creators to create the website's content. They will turn elsewhere. Some sooner, others later.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission