2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
R
R
Originally Posted by HwyStar
Two Gig of memory affords us the ability to load eight XL piano samples into memory for instant recall.

I think, currently 2GB of memory for samples is good enough for pianists, who need XLs. However after some time, for sure Nord will release next couple of XL piano samples sized c.a. 250MB and this 2GB memory of space can be much smaller for them.

This board will be great ... now too for stay at home pianists.

Preciselly! This is a first Nord gear which got noise damper velvet tape. At last! I desired that in my sold Nord piano 2.

It would be great if they offered a much larger updateable memory board for more samples, but it appears that Rome was not built in a day and this is how they all make their money.

If Nord grand will be succesful and continued, we can expect release of Nord grand 2 with 4GB of memory space, maybe in 2022(?) I hope so and I believe smile

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
From a pure schlep pov- I'm curious to see if Nord comes out with a specific case to fit the NG. And how much it will weigh.

I'd think any generic Gator type soft case to support a 45 lb. keyboard would have to be in the 15-20 lb. range. Which of course all of a sudden bumps that total weight to a not so friendly 60-65 lbs. wink

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Personally speaking, if I already owned an MP11, I wouldn't attempt to sell it in order to fund the purchase of an Nord Grand. Instead, I would probably buy a secondhand Nord Piano (or even a Nord Electro) and MIDI this up to the Kawai - i.e. Kawai action controlling the Nord sound.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
In theory, the Nord Grand worst enemy is the combination 'Kawai MP-11SE + Nord Electro': similar price, better action, Nord sounds plus Kawai sounds.

But in reality I think the Nord Grand will create (is already creating) its own place. It's a stage piano but, with the new Nord monitors, it's also a home piano.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MarioPf
In theory, the Nord Grand worst enemy is the combination 'Kawai MP-11SE + Nord Electro': similar price, better action, Nord sounds plus Kawai sounds.

plus you get a good organ out of it!

But Nord is still primarily a brand for stage use, and for most people, an MP11 is too much to carry around.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I’m the guy (you know a guy?) that is looking to lighten the touch weight for my next piano. My MP11 is 61 at middle C.

I am hoping on finding an ES8 to play in my local area to compare it to the MP11 action. This way I can decide if I even want the NG.

If I wanted to mess with two keyboards then I would rather use Pianoteq since the latest version is quite good. But all those knobs and possibilities for just
“one more tweak” keeps me away from playing. Sigh...

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
61g is higher than my mp11 was on middle c. How did you measure the weight? Distance from end of key, did it just start to drop it is that the weight to overcome letoff, did you take the bottom of the board to get it started, etc.?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have piano weights so it was exact. No pennies here my friend!

I followed the videos online of the piano tuners. And, did the “tap the bottom” routine. It started to budge at 60 but then went down at 61. I have not been happy with the menu system on the MP11 enough to consider getting an SE. Don’t get me wrong, the MP11 action is great and feels really smooth. But, I want a lighter touch. I plan on keeping my MP11 if/when I get the NG to compare the actions. But I want to find an ES8 first. I’m just lazy and don’t want to drive for an hour and a half to find the nearest shop that carries Kawai DPs.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
R
R
Again a short video with grand:
https://youtu.be/N9p-LXNL6_8

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Off topic, Sorry; but it is related to my decision to pursue the NG. Or maybe even an ES8 or MP7SE...

Here is a post that OneWatt posted last year about his MP11SE-GF down/up action weights. Post: Last Thoughts Thread

To recap: He measured his board at 50-52 at middle C. My board has never been that low. Like Gombessa mentioned above, his MP11 is not "that" heavy.

Questions:
1. I do not think the actions between the MP11 and MP11SE are any different, both use the GF action so the action should perform exactly the same - right?

2. This is more of a question I would like to present to KJ: Is a technicians manual available on how to work on the GF action? It may need cleaning and lubricating? I do have a piano technician for my other pianos so armed with a manual he may be interested in servicing my older MP11. Heck, it isn't that hard to work on with a decent manual. Pop the top, grab some WD40 and empty the can into the action. Close it back up. Put rags under it for leakage and pound the snot out of it! Right? 3hearts

If I am straying too far off this thread then tell me to go back to my room upstairs and play Apex Legends... That will give my fingers a workout.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

2. This is more of a question I would like to present to KJ: Is a technicians manual available on how to work on the GF action?

I would urge you to contact Kawai US with that inquiry.

It may need cleaning and lubricating? I do have a piano technician for my other pianos so armed with a manual he may be interested in servicing my older MP11. Heck, it isn't that hard to work on with a decent manual. Pop the top, grab some WD40 and empty the can into the action. Close it back up. Put rags under it for leakage and pound the snot out of it! Right? 3hearts

One thing I can tell you, the only lubrication on a GF action is viscosity grease on the letoff nub (which should not affect your weighting test). The key/hammer interface is a metal capstan against a foam/PTFE strip. Other than the letoff, there's no lubrication or grease anywhere on the action or keys.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So, it's a very good bet that the PTFE tape has moved or is indented like I have seen on a YT video explaining how to apply new PTFE.

I wonder if the newer MP11SE is using a different application system for applying the PTFE tape to the end of the key. I was not really that impressed with how it was done several years ago. The PTFE could move around on the sticky portion of the felt if the board got hot. In theory of course. I didn't take a blow torch to mine. Honest. But, it was in Nevada the whole time I had it and the low humidity/summer high temperatures (Reno) could have affected it. But being semi-retired now I have more time to get back into it.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I'm sure KJ can respond to that specific question, but I recall seeing a pic of the insides of the MP11SE once and didn't notice anything different about the PTFE tape and foam at the end of the keystick.

Note that the newer "Grand Feel Compact" action does away with that setup entirely. There's no more foam, PTFE or metal capstan. There's a plastic endcap on the key that presses directly against the hammer "shank" body. I imagine that this is a much more consistent connection (no glue or tape to come loose, no felt/foam to compress).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Online Content
Hello HwyStar,

Yes, the MP11/MP11SE both use the same "Grand Feel" keyboard action, so should, theoretically, feel the same.

If you feel the action on your MP11 is not performing as you would like, my recommendation would be to contact your dealer and/or Kawai America to seek assistance.

Service manuals for Kawai instruments are provided to Kawai dealers and registered technicians, however I do not believe these are typically provided to end users.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reply, James!

I am really not sure at this point what I want to do with the keyboard. I plan on going out and finding some piano's tomorrow to try out. I think there are RHIII and GFII's available to play so I will give those a go.

As is always, Thanks for your help!

R
R
I will be in the GuitarGuitar music store in Glasgow in 3 hours and I will be playing on Nord Grand smile

J
jve Offline
J
Finally, a video from Bonners:
https://youtu.be/UBqA8eYzPLc

R
R
Another private presentation:
https://youtu.be/LwvGYXeYJb4

R
R
My visit in the store lasted roughly 20 minutes for three reasons. 1 - I was in Glasgow traveling to the airport on holiday with my family, 2 - there, in the store were a lot of people, which resulted a huge noise of talks and sounds of other instruments and 3 - no White Grand sample on Nord Grand, which I missed a complete feeling of this instrument. 
So, my testing of Nord Grand IMO is incomplete and insufficient, but it's always something.

Generally, the Nord Grand from the seat point does't look like a huge block, but again from an aesthetic point of view, it looks like a premium stage piano - not a flat board like the rest of nord instruments. Especially the upper red surface of the instrument looks beautiful.

Desktop of NG is the same simple as a Nord piano 4. The difference only is the control panel is oblique and panel buttons are quite close to the keyboard, which can actually results in accidental pressing of them, which actually also happened me twice while playing, so the key lock button is really desired in this instrument.

The keyboard has a very pleasant Ivory Touch imitation effect, without exaggerated structure and makes a very pleasant impression. The keyboard works almost quietly like in a digital pianos in full cabinet, which is due to the built-in velvet tape dampening the noise of keys, which has never been available before in any nord gears. The keyboard action in weight, IMO is medium enough (not too light, not too heavy), it has a noticeable escapement but the fast runs are not a problem. 
Who knows Kawai ES8, MP7SE or CN27/37 will be know how this keyboard works. The third keyboard sensor has a deep range of operation, which results in it's a high usability.

Comparing to other keyboards - apart from NG, there were in the store also Nord Piano 4 and Yamaha CP88. 
NP4 keyboard was clearly lighter than NG and the feeling of escapement was definitely less noticeable in NP4 than in the NG, not to mention the touch of plastic surface of NP4 keyboard. Yamaha CP88 keyboard also with Ivory Touch was slightly heavier. The difference in action between CP88 and NG is more about the character of the action. Personally, I don't like Yamahas keys action.

I am not writing anything about the sound, because on the board of the Nord Grand, were samples which every nord user know well (Royal Grand 3D, Amber Upright, etc.). 

I need to try and play on NG at least once more time again but in full silence and also with included the White Grand sample on the board.

P.S. This week I will be trying Kawai ES8 and probably MP7SE. After 20th of July I will try Korg Grandstage.

R
R
Another one review from Andertons:
https://youtu.be/8Yc1Aqq1ZFQ

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission