2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Originally Posted by Andamento
[
You can’t tell if it’s going to be a fruitful relationship from one free lesson.

That is one significant reason I decided to eliminate the one free lesson and to instead move to a trial month--paid at the regular monthly rate.

Andamento, I lean in your direction in the abstract. But isn't it more awkward to have a new student abandon you after a month than after an hour? How often does it happen? Or has it ever happened?

Peter, I haven't had any families decide at the end of the trial month that they would be leaving. All so far have decided to stay on.

I wonder if they're more serious to begin with, since they commit to paying for a month of lessons at the first meeting rather than get a freebie with no obligation to continue beyond that?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Years ago I discontinued lessons after signing up for one month and taking 2 or 3 lessons. I believe I wrote about it elsewhere, but in short, the "studio" was in the fellow's living room in a basement apartment which was thickly decorated with religious imagery. The lighting was inadequate, the piano was inadequate, and I was allergic to his air freshener to the point that I left lessons with a sore throat and itchy eyes.

Learner
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I understand how frustrating it is to have wasted so much of your time but I do think pre-lesson interviews are important to both you and your clients.

Not piano but similar....When I was looking for a violin teacher for my daughter, I had a phone conversation with a violin teacher that required a one YEAR commitment. There was no trial lesson, no meeting ahead of time. The only thing the teacher would allow was that I (not my daughter) could sit in on another student's lesson. She might have been the best violin teacher in the world and she taught one of my daughter's best friends but that was such a turn off for me that I decided not to pursue it any further. We ended up going with my son's piano teacher son's teacher. When I found out my son's piano teacher chose for her son a teacher that they stuck with for 10 years- I was almost certain that he would be the right teacher for my daughter. The irony of the situation is that when I interviewed with him, he said he wanted to make sure that he was the right fit for my daughter- which is exactly what I told my son's teacher when I interviewed with her a few years before.

I'd be careful about having a checklist. I'm so fortunate that I wasn't "weeded" out by my son's second piano teacher during the interview process. My son started lessons at a local music studio but his teacher moved to a foreign country 8 months in. We would have been "weeded" out by any teacher that required a "real" piano. When my son first began lessons, he only had a child's toy keyboard. By Christmas, we had bought a cheap digital piano Yamaha DGX series, one month into lessons with the second teacher we bought an old upright and one year later we upgraded to a Yamaha Grand. Maybe he's not talented but he practices daily, listens (well at least at his lessons- he is a 12 year old boy) and has reached early intermediate level. My son's teacher also has had several successful referrals from us.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 07/01/19 11:53 AM.

Yamaha G2
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Good question, Peter. I'm curious as well. From my own experience, ,my reason for a pre- lesson interview is to determine whether or not I wish to take on the student. I watch for genuine interest in learning how to play the piano, attitude, focus level, exposure to music, etc. Most of the time, I accept the student. Rarely, does a student NOT sign up after the first meeting. Rarely does a student quit after a month (except adults who "only want to learn chords"). I will always have a first meeting prior to accepting a student. I clarify at the beginning of the meeting that it is "not a lesson, but rather a meet and greet to determine if the student and teacher both agree to start lessons."

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Sara Elizabeth, you are a professional student who values an instructor's time. Thank you for that.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
From my own experience, ,my reason for a pre- lesson interview is to determine whether or not I wish to take on the student. ... I clarify at the beginning of the meeting that it is "not a lesson, but rather a meet and greet to determine if the student and teacher both agree to start lessons."

I view the trial period in the same way -- as a method of determining both whether I want to take the student and whether the family wants to take me as a teacher. I feel a trial period of a few weeks versus one meet-up helps both parties make a more informed decision.

Teachers have more time to see how the students respond to teaching and advice about setting up a practice schedule, and parents and students get a more complete picture of how the teacher responds to the students' preparation of assigned music.

To me, this gives a more complete picture of the back-and-forth, teaching-and-response-and-further-teaching interplay that characterizes a longer-term teaching/learning relationship.

One lesson gives too incomplete a picture, IMHO.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P

I view the trial period in the same way -- as a method of determining both whether I want to take the student and whether the family wants to take me as a teacher. I feel a trial period of a few weeks versus one meet-up helps both parties make a more informed decision.

Andamento, have you ever fired a student and family after a trial month? I can't imagine how unpleasant that would be. And if your name is well known in the community, wouldn't your referrals dry up within about a week?

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose

Andamento, have you ever fired a student and family after a trial month? I can't imagine how unpleasant that would be. And if your name is well known in the community, wouldn't your referrals dry up within about a week?

Peter, I've never fired a student or family after a trial month or any length of time. But looking back over the years I've taught, there would have been some kids for whom it probably would have been better if I'd said, "It would be better to wait to start formal lessons," or "I think another teacher would serve your needs better," or something like that.

I try to emphasize that the trial period is to help us get a clearer picture whether lessons at this time and at my studio are to the student's benefit. (I realize it may not have sounded to you like I meant that, because of my wording, "whether I want to take the student.")

No, I don't imagine it would be that pleasant to dismiss or be dismissed, but when the families know ahead of time that I do have a trial period, if they're afraid they might be dismissed in a month, they probably wouldn't sign up to begin with.

Mainly, it's a chance for them to see how I work with their children. I make that objective very clear to them.

I should also mention (not sure if I have already) that I do offer a pretty extensive phone interview, a mini-conference at the first lesson, and then another brief discussion 3/4 of the way through the trial period. In other words, we're keeping the lines of communication open regarding the week-to-week progression through the period. The chances of a surprise, "You're fired" at the end are extremely low.

It really has worked beautifully since I started the trial period last year. I've had more lesson inquiries, a higher percentage of sign-ups from those inquiries, and 100% retention of students who have enrolled since I began the trial period. Everyone's been happy, and I'm getting paid for all of my teaching time.

I've come to believe that's a good deal for all concerned.

Don't we ultimately hope that piano lessons can provide a path to a lifetime of musical joy? In light of that, doesn't it make sense to take time in the beginning to ensure a good teacher-student fit? I really don't believe that a single meeting is superior, or even equal to, a trial period in getting off to a good start.

My two cents. Others may see it differently, and that's fine. I just wanted to report that the changes I made, many of them in response to what posters said here when I first posted the thread, brought about very nice results. I know I made mistakes before, and a number of you helped steer me in a better direction.

I and the students and families I've gained in the last year have benefited.

Thanks for your discussion, Peter and everyone else. I am grateful.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission