2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (bobrunyan, Asperatology, 1957, 1903wrightflyer, 36251, anotherscott, ABull, Beansparrow, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 490 guests, and 369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2864310 06/30/19 03:34 PM
M
MistyB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone. I'm working through the Schaum piano course books for about a year now and currently finishing the Blue Book. Alongside these I practice the dozen a day exercises, plus any additional songs I like.

My problem is I am finding it confusing and difficult to keep up with playing/ reviewing all the songs that I've learned over the past year, consistently. If I don't play them after a few weeks I kind of forget how to play them even though Ive already learned them previously, which is a little frustrating.

I'm just wondering how others handle it? Do you just move forward , or only review pieces that you like? It really would take hours each day to play through every song I've practiced before.

Many thanks

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Misty B.

Move forward. You can’t keep them all active. Keep only one or two you really like, them replace them as you see fit. It’s very hard and time consuming to maintain a repertoire, and takes away from learning and building new skills. So my advice is to just keep a few you can play to show friends and family and let the rest go. When you get to pieces you really love, then start keeping them active.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
M
MistyB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by cmb13
Welcome, Misty B.

Move forward. You can’t keep them all active. Keep only one or two you really like, them replace them as you see fit. It’s very hard and time consuming to maintain a repertoire, and takes away from learning and building new skills. So my advice is to just keep a few you can play to show friends and family and let the rest go. When you get to pieces you really love, then start keeping them active.

Thanks a million cmb13. smile That really does take a weight off my shoulders.... and makes sense! I think I will just get a notepad and write down the ones I like best.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I haven't kept any repertoire from the 6.5 years I have been learning, I just don't have the desire or the time. It is only now that I am playing pieces that I can see myself playing indefinitely, that I might consider keeping them once I have them performance ready

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
MistyB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by earlofmar
I haven't kept any repertoire from the 6.5 years I have been learning, I just don't have the desire or the time. It is only now that I am playing pieces that I can see myself playing indefinitely, that I might consider keeping them once I have them performance ready

Hi earlofmar smile If you don't mind me asking.. do you hence... practice a song then drop it after you feel you can play it competently enough? I find it quite exciting when I actually have mastered something that I feel it a shame to let go, however with there being so many songs/techniques to learn and master I can see how it's starting to get a bit terrifying (well for me anyway!) to keep up with all of it every single day.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The pieces in the method books are learning pieces. If you like them, then keep them as repertoire and practice them. Otherwise, just learn with them and move on.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Good to hear from someone else using the Schaum books - I was starting to think I was the only person here using them smile. I’ve been playing for a little under four months now and am about to finish the Red Book, so I’ll be moving on to the Blue Book in the next couple of weeks.

I also don’t try to keep everything current. There are a few pieces in the Red Book I really like and keep practicing (such as Brahms’ Lullaby and Schubert’s Waltz), but mostly I just move on and forget them after I’ve learned them. Most of the pieces are eminently forgettable!

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MistyB
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Hi earlofmar smile If you don't mind me asking.. do you hence... practice a song then drop it after you feel you can play it competently enough? I find it quite exciting when I actually have mastered something that I feel it a shame to let go, however with there being so many songs/techniques to learn and master I can see how it's starting to get a bit terrifying (well for me anyway!) to keep up with all of it every single day.

Hi MistyB, I have tried to maintain pieces in the past but failed because, as you say, there are so many new pieces and techniques to learn it always comes down to making the decision, what do I want more? To have a repertoire or continue learning new pieces, sure I could settle for something in between, but that doesn't seem to be my nature. In the past, my method for dropping pieces was this: after I had spent a lot of time on a piece, if it became evident I didn't have what it takes (at that moment) to progress the piece to some sort of mastery, and if I was keen to move on to a new piece and had no room for the old one in my schedule, I would just stop playing it. When I could get a piece to a stage I was happy with, and usually that meant I was able to record it, I would also then let it go. For the first five years I learned a great many pieces, but loved none of them enough to keep them going. But I believe by recording them that is enough.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
I don't use the Shaum method books, but I'm of the same mindset. I treat the material in the method books as steps to learning technique etc and don't go back and play them at all really. My teacher uses Alfred and the pieces are generally simplified versions of classics anyway. I agree with others that you don't have to be concerned with stockpiling that material. Focus on stand alone pieces of music you enjoy and see yourself playing for yourself or others down the road. I bet you have a list as long as your arm you want to play so keep pushing forward and challenging yourself with new music all the time and don't worry about passing by the stepping stones.

M
MistyB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you both earlofmar and spartan928 for your advice which is very much appreciated smile

T
Online Content
T
I took lessons many years ago and was given the Schaum piano book 1 for practice. I’ve been playing again recently (for about 3 months) and decided to buy the second book in the series (The Red book).

I guess that they are aimed at a younger student but although I have many adult beginners books, I decided that I wanted to go right back to basics and work at a slower tempo. I enjoy playing an easier piece perfectly rather than a more complex piece at 60% and feel that it will be more beneficial in the long run.

They are fairly easy but every so often they throw in a curve ball. I’ve been stuck for a while on 'Tune of the Tuna' smile. It has a tricky fingering using fingers 3 and 5 of the left hand that I’m determined to nail before proceeding.

Every so often, after perfecting a piece I will just flip back through the book and open it at random pages and play those pieces. I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing but my theory is that if I can’t play it better than ever within three goes then I should hold off progressing until I can. This method is suggested in the book and I must agree that like they say in the book, it boosts your confidence.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
My first piano teacher started me on the Schaum books, and I made it through the middle of the blue book before I realized that I needed a teacher who was going to teach me about technique and theory rather than pushing through pieces. With my new teacher, I'm using the Faber Piano Adventures books (except for theory, for which I use the Fundamentals of Piano Theory books), and I'm now on Level 3A. I do feel like I'm making a lot more progress learning how to play properly, which I don't think that Schaum books teach in enough detail.

Started May 2018 with John W. Schuam books; now using Faber PA Level 3B. I play a K. Kawai GL-10 baby grand.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Over Christmas holidays, my sister showed me some pics of her old red-, purple-, blue-, etc. covered Shaum's books. Tattered and taped. They got her into Jacobs School of Music and a piano performance minor. But when she tried to use those same books from her childhood with her own kids, they were bored stiff and her kid's teacher switched them over into Piano Safari. Times change.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I have my old Schaum books, too. In my years of teaching piano, I've used Schaum maybe 4 times? The pedagogy is just not there, and the music is extremely dated. I also own Schaum's final publications, which were written in the wake of the success of Piano Adventures Gold Star Performance books.If you juxtapose the two methods, you will immediately notice Schaum's problems.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
How to Play Blues Piano
by BB666 - 04/23/21 03:02 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,484
Posts3,085,653
Members101,282
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission