2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
114 members (anotherscott, accordeur, Animisha, 36251, almo82, Bach On Lock, benQF, Bebe1980, 19 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 463 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 163 of 284 1 2 161 162 163 164 165 283 284
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Listening to the rich overtones float in the air and mingle in Debussy on the Shigeru in an acoustically great recital hall is just not something we can approximate with sampled or modeled instruments yet.

Now that’s surprising. It’s generally accepted that it’s resonances where modeled pianos shine.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
It’s really just my seat of the pants opinion, so take it for what it’s worth. My opinion could have been influenced by the world-class quality of the artists playing, the hall, the glass of wine I had before the concert, etc. But I have spent a lot of time playing modeled pianos (and prefer them to sampled) and I just remember thinking that I’ve never heard any kind of digital sound that was as pleasing as what I was hearing at the time.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
It makes sense that playing a top-tier acoustic piano at a professionally-optimized, and acoustically primed hall will sound better than good ol’ Pianoteq played in my closet.
The question is ‘are we getting there’? And I say yes!

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
It’s really just my seat of the pants opinion, so take it for what it’s worth. My opinion could have been influenced by the world-class quality of the artists playing, the hall, the glass of wine I had before the concert, etc. But I have spent a lot of time playing modeled pianos (and prefer them to sampled) and I just remember thinking that I’ve never heard any kind of digital sound that was as pleasing as what I was hearing at the time.

That is a high bar.

Thanks for the follow up and interesting posts computerpro3. I'm glad the recitals went well.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Listening to the rich overtones float in the air and mingle in Debussy on the Shigeru in an acoustically great recital hall is just not something we can approximate with sampled or modeled instruments yet.

Now that’s surprising. It’s generally accepted that it’s resonances where modeled pianos shine.

In terms of sound quality, the 9’ piano has vibrating strings and a soundboard. The digital piano sound is a stereo mix being rendered on speakers or headphones.

It would be theoretically possible to design a multichannel sound system for the hall and design a multichannel mix of the piano sound that could be rendered on the sound system so that it would be difficult (but maybe not impossible) to distinguish it from the acoustic grand.

The sound system would be expensive and the collection of the samples would be costly, requiring acoustic isolation of the hall and microphones placed around the hall to collect samples of what each speaker would produce. If such a digital piano sound sample existed, you could also render it on a multi-channel sound system in your living room. I think Kawai or Yamaha has the theoretical capability to do this today, but the cost of the full system (piano and sound system) would well exceed the cost of some very nice acoustic pianos that fit in the homes of potential buyers.

In terms of stereo sound mixes, headphones are especially a problem. The left ear does not hear anything being rendered on the right channel and vice versa.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I think the NV10 is a 3-channel mix, but the same applies.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
It would be theoretically possible to design a multichannel sound system for the hall and design a multichannel mix of the piano sound that could be rendered on the sound system so that it would be difficult (but maybe not impossible) to distinguish it from the acoustic grand.

PianoTeq, which runs 5 channels so a basic system is not so difficult to set up these days. There are plenty of schemes to quickly measure and place speakers or just use a home-theatre receiver. Then run some reverb of through DAW.

I never heard a multichannel movie system that sounded better than stereo, unfortunately. And I don't recall reading about multichannel PianoTeq systems. If I had the time I would give this a go. . .

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The NV10 has 7 speakers actually, so not sure of the mix channel count.

A home theater system of the required quality would be prohibitively expensive, and the multichannel mixes being rendered on them are not engineered to the requisite standards.

There are multichannel SACDs for instance of symphony performances that were recorded in performance halls with microphones placed to capture the content each speaker needs to produce. When rendered on a high end multichannel audio system you would have the auditory experience of being in the hall. But the audio system alone would cost as much as a new SK-3, before we even get into the cost of the digital instrument.

Stereo music mixes for classical recordings are generally done to higher standards than home theater sound mixes, and if your budget for speakers is $1000 spreading the funds out over the purchase of 7 speakers will mean lower quality speakers than if you buy 2 or 3. So experiencing a stereo sound as superior is a common experience (I listen to recorded music in stereo).

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The N1X uses four-channel samples and it has even more speakers. I rarely play it through speakers but it’s one of the better (more realistic) pianos in terms of sound seemingly coming from everywhere. However it’s certainly very modest, to put it mildly, compared to a top level grand prepared by top level technician and played in a top level concert hall. There’s no match and I doubt there will ever be. At least not soon. Not until they implement some way of inducing sound directly in the brain centers, bypassing the ears laugh

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/29/19 02:19 PM.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene

I guess only in comparison to samples!

As high as the bar sounds, aren't all sampled and modeled pianos based on professionally prepped, voiced and tuned concert grands played in ideal environments? So this really sounds like what we should be comparing them against!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
In reality our transducers are probably the weakest link, either we are reliant on the crappy speakers in our pianos (and they are all crappy), aftermarket monitors, or headphones. Some can sound quite excellent, but it's still going to be "different" than a grand in a concert setting unless we place the speakers firing upwards in an identical concert hall to compare.

I think modeled pianos can sound pretty much the same as recorded top shelf grands, but I have never heard a recording of either sound as good as in person for obvious reasons. Which frankly is not a fair comparison (but it's what I was doing anyway!)

I would be incredibly curious to here a top shelf digital with a top shelf aftermarket sound system in a concert hall.

Last edited by computerpro3; 06/29/19 05:19 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
The problem with Pianoteq is that it sounds like a simplistic version of a piano to me. The VSL pianos do a much better job in terms of capturing the wealth of tone colours of an acoustic grand, and makes them very realistic in terms of response. Even though they only have a couple of levels of pedalling (in the newer pianos), I still find it more realistic than Pianoteq.

Last edited by johnstaf; 06/30/19 09:27 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I mostly agree with this ...
In reality our transducers are probably the weakest link, either we are reliant on the crappy speakers in our pianos (and they are all crappy), aftermarket monitors, or headphones. Some can sound quite excellent, but it's still going to be "different" than a grand in a concert setting unless we place the speakers firing upwards in an identical concert hall to compare.
Headphones were good, but speaker not so. But after ten years of using this digital with internal speakers and with so-so external speakers I finally got a pair of monitors. And it now sound marvelous.

But these monitors are not "top-shelf" ... and I don't have a concert hall in which to perform this test ... smile
I would be incredibly curious to here a top shelf digital with a top shelf aftermarket sound system in a concert hall.

To me Pianoteq sounds no better than almost tolerable in the midrange and quite fake in the highs. And always "distant", as though the piano were somewhere else rather than right here.
Originally Posted by johnstaf
The problem with Pianoteq is that it sounds like a simplistic version of a piano to me. The VSL pianos do a much better job in terms of capturing the wealth of tone colours of an acoustic grand, and makes them very realistic in terms of response. Even though they only have a couple of levels of pedalling (in the newer pianos), I still find it more realistic than Pianoteq.

4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
And always "distant", as though the piano were somewhere else rather than right here.

I'm afraid that, in my case, concert grands tend to be somewhere else rather than right here. They get that right at least! grin

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
And always "distant", as though the piano were somewhere else rather than right here.

I'm afraid that, in my case, concert grands tend to be somewhere else rather than right here. They get that right at least! grin

LOL

C
C
Are there any Soundcloud/YouTube recordings of any members actually playing the NV10? We've got 325 posts, but precious few real life hands on recordings...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Warren
Are there any Soundcloud/YouTube recordings of any members actually playing the NV10? We've got 325 posts, but precious few real life hands on recordings...

Click on JoBert’s signature. Who’s that guy? The author of this very thread laugh

B
B
Add another NV10 owner to the list.

I was planning to get a N1X but very unexpectedly ended up getting the NV10 instead. I had mostly ignored this NV10 thread during my research as the NV10 cost a little more than I was willing to pay and I was vaguely aware of issues people were having without actually researching what those were.

I'd basically settled on the N1X as a result (wasn’t overly interested in an upright action). I'd arranged to travel a few hours to a store to test out The N1X, N1UX, a Transacoustic and maybe the NV10 just for fun. As it turns out there was some miscommunication and only the NV10, NU1X and a Kawai K300 ATX2 were available to play. So I tried out the NU1X with HD650 headphones to test the sound and compare to the NV10.

It was a near instant realisation that the NV10 was the correct choice for us. I'd previously listened to the few comparison videos between the N1X and NV10 and had usually thought the NV10 sounded better but had brushed it off as an artifact of recording and the limits of listing back via YouTube. In the end my wife and I both greatly preferred the sound of the Kawai over the Yamaha. The lower registers on the NV10 are just gorgeous. I expected the Binaural on the NU1X to be _amazing_ after all the raving about it, but it didn't blow me away. I could definitely hear the difference and it was _nice_ but not enough to justify favouring the Yamaha over the Kawai.

The action on the NV10 was also amazing and almost exactly what I was hoping for. I expect the N1X would have felt far too heavy for my liking - as the NU1X did. To be fair however it has been over 10 years since I last sat at a piano and the heaviness of the NU1X vs the NV10 might have played a part in that feeling - my fingers aren't used to playing so I'd probably enjoy anything lighter right now. Also the piano is for my young kids to learn on, so a lighter action might be preferable to start with. I’m not sure what the NU1X action is modelled on, but I compared it to a new U1 and it was far stiffer/heavier than the U1. I would loved to have tried the N1X action out but it would have required flying across the country and I couldn’t justify that, especially after listing to the NU1X and getting that feeling it just wasn't for me.

Of course after I purchased I came back and only then read through this entire thread and started to have many second thoughts (buzzing etc). I don't recall hearing any problem in store, but I also mostly used the headphones, wasn't listening for it specifically and there was a piano concert going on simultaneously which made it hard to hear at times.

I'll find out in a week or two when it arrives smile - although I'm not actually expecting there is going to be an issue.

In the end we got the NV10 for the same as the list price of the N1X ($12k AUD / ~$8.3k USD) so it was in the correct price range, sounded better to my ears (relative to the CFX and Bösendorfer), felt great to play on and I didn't have to wait months for it (the N1X) to be in stock. Hard to say no to that. I’ll have to post a picture when it finally arrives smile

Last edited by Bradley Dwyer; 07/02/19 07:26 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
It looks like you found the piano that suited you. You can't find out which piano you're going to prefer by reading a forum I suppose. Enjoy it.

Page 163 of 284 1 2 161 162 163 164 165 283 284

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,473
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission