2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (EB5AGV, DaveX, Charles Cohen, aphexdisklavier, anotherscott, c++, DHarris, Carey, 11 invisible), 548 guests, and 404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
WTM Offline
W
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by WTM
Select your composer from the drop down list and look through the editions, it shows ratings for pieces. I've found the ratings quite reliable.

By reliable, I assume you mean self-consistent. Because as ratings go, the Henle ratings are all consistently higher than those given by the graded piano exams: ABRSM, RCM, etc.

Their ratings seem to be more towards the top end.

I suspect a lot of grade 1-4 ABRSM pieces would be a 1 on Henle and a lot of Grade 8 ABRSM would be 5/6/7. Obviously it has things like the Hungarian Rhapsodies and Hammerklavier, they're way beyond RCM 10 and ABRSM 8. They're not intended to be a likeness towards grades.

Last edited by WTM; 06/28/19 09:53 AM.

Bechstein A114
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, the scales are different. Henle 7 is way tougher than ABRSM 7.

"But this one goes up to eleven!"

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by GinaL1960
I am a 59 year old female and I have been taking private piano lessons, consistently, for the past 13 and a half years. My teacher told me that I am at the advanced Intermediate level now. I feel like piano practice is the same as hitting my head repeatedly against a brick wall, at times. That's how frustrating it is.

Thanks for being honest. That’s been my experience with other instruments that I’ve worked at long periods of time, ten years on the violin, and almost ten years on the classical guitar. I don’t expect piano to be any different.

If fun is what you’re after, figure out a way to play in a ensemble. In an ensemble, you can find solace in other people’s shortcomings, lol, instead of constantly facing your own, which is what happens when you study a solitary instrument.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I’m not a fan of Henle’s “grading” system, I prefer the RCM system. There seems to be a big disparity between the two. For example, the Beethoven I’m working on, op 49 no 2 is listed as a 3 by Henle and as a grade 8 by the RCM, that’s a huge difference. The Henle system gives the impression that this piece, at a level 3, is only slightly more difficult than a beginner level piece.

Last edited by John305; 06/28/19 01:15 PM.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
F
F
One thing about learning, the more you know the more you realize that there is to know. I think there are many beginners disguising as "advanced" just because they brute force their way into learning (badly) a difficult piece, and there are several intermediate students that knowing just how much more there is to improve and learn, still consider themselves to be beginners.

I really thought about how to classify one's piano skills. I think using a difficulty ranking for the pieces that the person can play is a good starting point, but you should consider the time required to learn the piece and the mastery level that it can be achieved (how well the piece is being played). Of course, all those things are subjective, but I think difficulty ratings are sort of a good reference. To establish a benchmark, this is completely arbitrary but is something I use as a reference, one should not take more than 3 hours to learn and play one page of any piece on a certain level. The highest level that you can achieve that is the level that you are on.

Using Henle difficulty ranking as a reference, if you can play any (several, you can`t test all pieces) one-page piece rated as Lv.3 after working on it for less than 3 hours, but you needed +8 hours to properly play one page of an Lv.4 piece, then you are still at Lv.3, which I consider as late beginner. To me, the Henle scale goes like this:

Lv.1 - Elementary Beginner; Lv.2 - Beginner; Lv.3 - Late Beginner; Lv.4 - Early Intermediate; Lv.5 - Intermediate; Lv.6 - Early Advanced; Lv.7 - Advanced; Lv.8 - Late Advanced; Lv.9 - Virtuoso

That is pretty much the reasoning that I did with myself to justify that I am still a beginner. I like this approach because it is measurable. I also did that sightreading test (SARS) for the first time and scored only 340, which puts me into a late-beginner level, so it is consistent with my reasoning.

I don`t know what happens when you reach an advanced level, but I do like to think that real advanced players can pick up advanced pieces very fast. I presented an RCM Lv.8 piece (Heller Op.45 No.15) to work with my teacher and he didn't know that piece but he had no problem sight-reading it almost perfectly, after looking at the score for just a few seconds. So, to me that is the real measure: how fast can you learn, and play well, any piece at a given level.

Note that this classification approach can't deal with other types of pianists, that can't read sheet music, but can play by ear and improvise very well. For that, you would have to use another strategy, but I think it would be more subjective.

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.

[Linked Image]

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
For anyone less than Grade 8 ABRSM (= Grade 10 RCM), I'd use this:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/...evel-Music-Difficulty-Levels-Booklet.pdf

This long list includes a lot of pieces that non-advanced students would play, and was produced for the state music exams in the UK, and therefore corresponds to the ABRSM and Trinity grade system, which is also similar to the AMEB in Australia. To convert to RCM grades, multiply by 1.25 (i.e. RCM x 0.8 = ABRSM)

The Henle grading system is really for advanced pianists (i.e. at least Grade 6 ABRSM) and frankly, is somewhat inconsistent from what I can see. You'd have to multiply Henle's grade by between 1.5 to 2.5 to get a roughly equivalent ABRSM grade.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Another good source of skill level is Piano Syllabus.

"Grades are drawn from the specific syllabus relating to each entry, while the 0 - 10 rating is an attempt to establish a consensus level of difficulty for each piece, regardless of which syllabus they are drawn from."

Piano Syllabus

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

It seems pretty clear to me. If you’re posting in the “Adult Beginners” forum, then by definition you’re a beginner wink.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
It seems pretty clear to me. If you’re posting in the “Adult Beginners” forum, then by definition you’re a beginner wink.

Nah. They'll let anyone in. cool

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I felt like a beginner until about grade 4 - the first few years of learning. I now feel like I’m intermediate, and I don’t think I’ll ever feel advanced. Maybe if I reach grade 10.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beginner, intermediate & advance are just artificial labels. Someone like myself play pieces at an intermediate level but sight-reading is still not proficient. A lot of times I'd listen to recordings to learn pieces by ear than strictly reading off a sheet. I have no problem playing a few hymns in church from memory.

There are a few people in the family who took lessons before and supposedly passed conservatory exams. They have certificates that would rank them as advanced players but haven't played many years so can't really rate their playing. And then there is a man I met a few years ago who probably had a few piano lessons when he was a child (like 60 years ago) and decided to take up piano after retirement. He learned to play Debussy "Clair de Lune" by watching online video demos. He would imitate finger sequences without getting into music notation. For a music teacher, not being able to read would classify him as a beginner but a listener would rate his playing at an advanced level even when he only learned to play a few pieces by ear.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
master controller 73 or 88?
by stefanocps - 04/23/21 11:23 AM
Classical Style Lead Sheets
by Qazsedcft - 04/23/21 10:42 AM
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,488
Posts3,085,736
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission