2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
28 members (EB5AGV, bajtucha, CharlesXX, David B, aphexdisklavier, CyberGene, DSC, Boboulus, EinLudov, 5 invisible), 286 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2863303 06/27/19 02:17 PM
Z
OP Offline
Z
I actually started playing around with the piano (and organ) when I was 9 years old. But at 10 I started guitar. Around age 12 I was really good on guitar and decided to learn my way around the piano, so I figured out the notes and the triads and some parts of songs (All The Way From Memphis!). Anyway, here it is 40 years later, I can improvise and play pretty well but mostly with my right hand.

So now I've decided to learn properly. I have the Alfred Adult course books and I got "A Dozen A Day" Prep book and book 1.

Here's my (first) question:
The first exercise in Dozen is just playing CDEFG GFEDC, so 12345. In C this is easy and in most keys, no problem figuring out the fingering. The question is, should I always try to play this (in other keys) using a 12345 fingering? Or do I use the fingering I would use when playing the scale?

For example, if I play this in Bb should I use (finger) 1 on Bb and 5 on F or use 3 on Bb and 4 on F?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Ziggy and welcome to this forum! There are many more like you here that have learned to piano as a child, and later returned. Not me though.

First of all, I think that yes, when you transpose five notes in a row like that, you should follow the fingering of that scale. However, the fingering of Bb does not start with 1. Right hand ascending starts with 2 (or 4), and then continues 123 1234, and left hand ascending starts with 3 and then continues with 21 4321 3

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Animisha
Hi Ziggy and welcome to this forum! There are many more like you here that have learned to piano as a child, and later returned. Not me though.

First of all, I think that yes, when you transpose five notes in a row like that, you should follow the fingering of that scale. However, the fingering of Bb does not start with 1. Right hand ascending starts with 2 (or 4), and then continues 123 1234, and left hand ascending starts with 3 and then continues with 21 4321 3

Welcome Ziggy.

Way back in the day my teacher had me do it both ways. Take Animisha Bb scale example. Do both ways to have the fingers in different positions like they will be when playing actual music. He didn't want me to go crazy on them but still to practice them. So I think they both have a place to practice them to get your hand accustomed to the layout of the keyboard smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The fingering you are shown for scales is ultimately only a suggested fingering scheme.

Ultimately, you use whichever fingers works for you in a given situation.

It may not be the same every time you play that phrase.

Bottom line …. Do not get too caught up in using a particular fingering scheme for anything.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thank you all for your replies. I think I am getting my head around piano fingerings. I've done a lot of work on guitar fingerings and that work definitely carries over (i.e. I have good finger control in both hands).

I don't get too bogged down in the fingerings, I just like to have excellent form when practicing so that when I play I can just play. To paraphrase Yogi, you can't play an instrument and think at the same time!

Originally Posted by dmd
The fingering you are shown for scales is ultimately only a suggested fingering scheme.

Indeed. The primary goal of the standard fingering scheme for most scales is simply to avoid needing to use your thumb on a black key.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
Originally Posted by dmd

Indeed. The primary goal of the standard fingering scheme for most scales is simply to avoid needing to use your thumb on a black key.

Yet playing a black key with the thumb happens quite a bit in classical repertiore, lol. Go figure. 😊

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The thumb was (apparently) never used in keyboard music except for octaves until Bach (J.S. or CPE). Maybe.

A scale was played 2-3-4-2-3-4-2-3........ grin

These days, anything goes. A very rapid scale might have to be played 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5 for instance. Similarly, a very rapid arpeggio 1-2-3-5-1-2-3-5. Tone clusters have to played with the fist. The nose can be used for outlying single notes.

Etc.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
When I first started I had a few lessons and knew the fingering of C and G scales. My 'teach yourself' method meant I played all scales with that fingering - it's quite awkward - so when I finally saw someone else who had learnt to play 'properly' playing scales I noticed the difference, 'invested in' a book of scales and arpeggios and relearnt the things. That improved my playing considerably - so I'd be keen to use the recommended scale fingerings from the outset where I in your position. By all means, though, experiment using the 12345 fingering on them - it's interesting to see the difference.

regards
Pete

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Qualities Required for Piano
by Qazsedcft - 04/11/21 02:25 AM
Which direction should I go?
by PatG - 04/10/21 11:35 PM
Tuning hammer for tight spaces
by ThePianoTuna - 04/10/21 10:15 PM
Folding travel keyboard
by mojoe - 04/10/21 09:41 PM
Does replacing string change tone colour?
by tony3304 - 04/10/21 07:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,213
Posts3,080,960
Members101,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission