2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (anotherscott, Carey, c++, beeboss, 1957, Bellicapelli, 19 invisible), 478 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2863441 06/27/19 11:20 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I am very excited to join the forum and would like to say hello to everyone.
I am 53 years old and have always wanted to play piano so I recently took the plunge and bought a used Casio CPD 100. I really have no idea how to start and that is what lead me here. I have just downloaded the Hanon guide and I am slowly (very) working my way through page one. Any suggestions or recommendations will be warmly welcome. I look forward to picking up some tips and tricks.

Thanks for reading.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MySteinway
I am very excited to join the forum and would like to say hello to everyone.
I am 53 years old and have always wanted to play piano so I recently took the plunge and bought a used Casio CPD 100. I really have no idea how to start and that is what lead me here. I have just downloaded the Hanon guide and I am slowly (very) working my way through page one. Any suggestions or recommendations will be warmly welcome. I look forward to picking up some tips and tricks.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to PW.

I strongly suggest you not start learning to play the piano via the Hanon exercises. This has nothing to do with the efficacy of Hanon's 60 exercises - just that we are in 2019 and there are better materials to use to learn to play the piano, even on one's own then these 146 year old exercises.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Do yourself a favor and get a teacher.

That will get you going in the right direction and will make things much more efficient.

Otherwise you will be just guessing or doing whatever somebody else says you should do.

Get a teacher and then do what the teacher decides is best for you.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome MySteinway.

I would agree that Hanon is not the ideal beginner material, but if you take some of the advocated precautions (don't overdo it for one) you might gain some benefit. Certainly as a beginner, even achieving a certain proficiency with No 1 was a confidence booster for me, so I would not dismiss it out of hand. However, exercises are best kept as a minor activity, while playing real music should be your primary goal.

Perhaps, look to one of the popular method books would be a good place to start if you intend to self teach.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Welcome MySteinway.

I would agree that Hanon is not the ideal beginner material, but if you take some of the advocated precautions (don't overdo it for one) you might gain some benefit. Certainly as a beginner, even achieving a certain proficiency with No 1 was a confidence booster for me, so I would not dismiss it out of hand. However, exercises are best kept as a minor activity, while playing real music should be your primary goal.

Perhaps, look to one of the popular method books would be a good place to start if you intend to self teach.

+1. And welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new journey.

[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, funds and my erratic work schedule makes a teacher not an option (I work 60-70 hours a week and a non linear schedule) If there are any books or online courses (free or low price) I would be very grateful.

Thanks again everyone.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You didn't say what you want to play, classical, pop or jazz. Search Youtube with piano lessons, there is a lot of different lessons and style.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, funds and my erratic work schedule makes a teacher not an option (I work 60-70 hours a week and a non linear schedule) If there are any books or online courses (free or low price) I would be very grateful.

Thanks again everyone.

Faber's blog is a good and free website to start with.

And this is the first lesson from Piano Career Academy, also for free.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, just a bit of background, I started to learn drums at 11 and played in bands for many years. I was self taught and learned some rudiments but never quite made myself happy musically. I did some studio work and was amazed at the beauty of the piano playing of some of the musicians and that was when I felt I wanted to learn to play. Fast forward 20 years and after coming across some you tube videos about people documented 1 year progress, I decided to take the plunge and found a used Casio CPD 100 (it seemed to get good reviews) and now I am starting this week.

Growing up with all sorts of music, I want to learn everything,obviously pop and rock and R&B and all that stuff but eventually classical because that is what I listen to mostly. I did search you tube and thats why I downloaded the Hanon technique as there were many videos about how they had helped thousands of beginners but based on the replies, I may have started on the wrong foot.

All advice is much appreciated.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just a reflection. I have heard people expressing doubt about the great progress some people seem to make in some of these one-year youtube videos. Especially with an erratic work schedule and no teacher, I think you'll need to have very realistic expectations about what you can achieve in a year.
But on the other hand, there is no hurry. You are at least 20 years younger than a great group of us adult beginners - so time is still very much on your side.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
M
OP Offline
M
That's a good observation. True or not, they definitely inspired me and gave me the kick in the pants I needed. I am mainly looking for a process that I can do every day to give me the best start on this journey.....I'm still looking.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Everyone gets their inspiration from different sources. Mine was largely from movies that depicted a "regular guy" who had this hidden ability to play piano, I would always say I wish I could do that. An example of one is Beautiful Girls, where Timothy Hutton plays in a bar, or The Fabulous Baker Boys, or others.

I grew up with Rock (for decades) and that's where I figured I'd head. I ended up learning more and becoming interested more in Classical after beginning lessons, and that has become my main focus. It has unexpectedly evolved this way and I couldn't be happier.

The Hanon exercises are good, I used them in the beginning, yet the truth is (as alluded to by others), they are best when meant for a specific purpose. Wrist rotation, Finger shifting, pinky strength, finger independence. When learning them blindly, this is glossed over and their usefulness is diluted or lost...or worse, they can lead to injury. Truthfully, I didn't do them properly even with instruction (poor instruction) and they were a waste of time.

Most of us adult beginners began with method books. They're a little boring and I didn't love them, but they serve a purpose. A teacher is definitely a great help, but if you can't do it, you can still learn and have fun, but the risk is of inefficiency or picking up bad habits. If you're diligent and ask the right questions, you can be guided efficiently however.

Glad you're motivated - enjoy, and good luck. It's totally worth it!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart

Thanks again everyone.

I’d urge you to reconsider. Playing the piano is a highly technical skill that really can’t be learnt from a book or video. If you don’t have a teacher you’ll have all sorts of bad habits, and the longer you leave them uncorrected, the more ingrained and difficult to put right they’ll become. I learn my practice pieces on my own, but in my lessons my teacher spends most of his time correcting the awful mistakes I’m making. I shudder to think what my playing technique would now be like had I never been corrected.

Many people have busy work schedules, but even if you can’t afford regular lessons, an occasional one will make the world of difference.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
O
O
Welcome! I started playing recently (though I did spend a fair amount of time examining piano resources beforehand), and can share a bit about two online courses I used.

The first one is Musiah. It costs $25 a month, but there's a free 14 day evaluation period. I also used the promo code IPAD to extend the trial period by another 2 weeks. (Not sure how long the code will be valid, but it worked when I signed up in May.)
It's light on piano technique, but it gets a lot of other things right in my opinion. The instructor walks you through small sections of each piece, focusing on a single aspect at a time, such as left hand, right hand, rhythm, or musical notation. You then have to pass an audition, in which you perform that piece to a satisfactory level, before progressing to the next song. The gamification kept me going until my trial ran out. I really liked it, and I credit it with giving me motivation and confidence to continue. In terms of equipment, you'll need to be able to connect a computer or an iPad to your digital piano's MIDI port.

The other course I'm using is Piano For All. It is offered on Udemy, which frequently has sales for $12-13 per course. I purchased it for $10 through PCMag's online shop and saved a few bucks.

https://shop.pcmag.com/products/pianoforall-incredible-new-way-to-learn-piano-keyboard

This course gets you off the ground almost immediately. It teaches you chords, which you use to learn a number of songs. I really like this approach as well. However, the downside for me was that there isn't much guidance on how much to practice each song before moving on.
Unlike Musiah, it requires no equipment other than your piano. You read each short chapter, watch video demonstrations, then practice what you learned.

The biggest question, I think, for most beginners, myself included, is how they will find motivation when things get tough. It's something I'll continue to ponder, but for the time being it means finding a teacher I can check in with, working across a variety of skills so that when I'm bored of one thing I can work on something else.I also began a log here to keep myself accountable. It's an issue worth thinking about, I think!

M
OP Offline
M
I appreciate all the suggestions, a teacher is not an option right now so I'll have see if I can do that in the future. Opsimath, I just bought the course you suggested and it looks exciting.

Thanks again everyone, all you suggestions were considered but my current lifestyle limits my options.

M
M
Hi there And welcome. I still consider myself new to piano, even after a year, I guess the bar just moves higher and higher. I have to say I agree that a teacher, even if for just a few lessons, can get you on to the right path. I took lessons for a year, enough to set me off with a good understanding on the techniques, basic theory, and reading and understanding sheet music. I progressed from my first time embarassing tune "The choo choo train" to now playing some well known Beethoven and Einaudi pieces. I've no desire to be a professional pianist . I'm a mother and housewife who wants to learn it because I love it and before it's "too late" so to speak. So I initially, cluelessly, dived in with simply wanting to learn a few pop songs that I like. That desire sort of disappeared when my course book songs introduced me to many beautiful classical songs, which before then I couldn't possibly name (or had never heard of)... waltzes, folk songs, ballads, classical pieces, so I moved into practicing the songs I liked the most. I've realized ithat playing piano is a long and rewarding journey, and often too, a personal one as you discover the musician inside you.

O
O
Best of luck! I hope that you'll continue to check in, and let us know how you're getting along. The most important thing for us adult beginners, in my opinion, is to not quit.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks everyone, my scales are getting better and I am learning to read music with a free online course from the Open University in the UK. With my crazy work schedule, I am doing the best with practice and staying focused and positive.

Thanks to everyone who have commented and gave me advice, it is appreciated.

M
M
Thanks everyone, my scales are getting better and I am learning to read music with a free online course from the Open University in the UK. With my crazy work schedule, I am doing the best with practice and staying focused and positive.

Thanks to everyone who have commented and gave me advice, it is appreciated.

Great to hear you're getting on so well despite having a crazy schedule! May I ask which course you are doing, only I was thinking of doing some type of free music course myself but not sure how effective or do-able they are without tutor support.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Classical Style Lead Sheets
by Qazsedcft - 04/23/21 10:42 AM
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,487
Posts3,085,721
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission