Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Chopin Acolyte, AZNpiano, cfrederi, Charles Cohen, AnnInMiami, Chernobieff Piano, Anticlock, 17 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt #2862994
06/26/19 01:37 PM
06/26/19 01:37 PM
New York Cty, NY
P
PHollis Offline OP
PHollis  Offline OP
P

New York Cty, NY
Hi all-

I apologize for invading the technical forum but I'm in need of pro-level guidance. I know you guys get countless requests of this nature- so I apologize in advance for what must be a tedious ask.

I would love a referral to a piano tech in the NYC / Westchester area who I could hire and work with to help me find a Unicorn: That is, a good, playable Petit / Baby Grand that may not be in the greatest shape, but possessing "good bones" and can be worked on over time if needed.

I have very little money so I am at the mercy of auction houses, Craig's List and Piano Adoption. I’m asking here first before calling the pros listed in my Google search, because I know this is a place filled with people who love pianos and can understand when I state that this is a quest that is dear to my heart. I’m looking for the first instrument I can truly call my own. I play for an hour + at a time whenever possible, which is at least 4 or 5 days a week at the moment, work permitting. I’m a pianist of intermediate / advanced skill level and have been playing all my life (most recently in the practice rooms of my university). I’ve never been able to afford my own piano and haven’t had room until recently. I have a decent working knowledge of piano Anatomy and Physiology (I can tell if brushings and hammer felt need to be replaced etc.) but I appreciate the fact I really know nothing, John Snow. I need a pro to help me hunt.

By way of background- I'd have loved to play professionally but my paralytic case stage fright lead me down a different career path. So...I'm a research scientist >.<

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Cheers-

PH

(ad 800)
PTG Convention 2019
PTG 2019 Convention Tuscon AZ
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863376
06/27/19 06:09 PM
06/27/19 06:09 PM
PA
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
daniokeeper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PA
Another option to explore is renting or rent-to-own. I'm guessing that in NYC the cost is going to be higher than around here. But, if the piano turns out to be a dud, you're not married to it.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: daniokeeper] #2863426
06/27/19 10:08 PM
06/27/19 10:08 PM
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by daniokeeper
Another option to explore is renting or rent-to-own. I'm guessing that in NYC the cost is going to be higher than around here. But, if the piano turns out to be a dud, you're not married to it.

My teacher has suggested I rent an upright from PianoPiano:

https://pianopiano.com/

and I’m going to try to convince my wife. I don’t know if you’re looking for higher end pianos than they carry.

Yamaha P-515, Pianoteq Standard 6
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863451
06/28/19 12:09 AM
06/28/19 12:09 AM
PA
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
daniokeeper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PA
It sounds like the OP is looking to buy an older top tier piano that's maybe not in the best of condition, but is salvageable. The problem is fighting the piano, interruptions in lessons, and nickel and dime repairs.

Another option would be to rent a new or newish off- brand piano that's in good shape and possibly still under warranty.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863548
06/28/19 09:45 AM
06/28/19 09:45 AM
New York Cty, NY
P
PHollis Offline OP
PHollis  Offline OP
P

New York Cty, NY
Thank you all SO much for your thoughtful replies. I have looked into rentals at Faust & Harrison and one other of the larger houses here in NY and was heartbroken to find the monthly payment would be higher than my car payment.

@ daniokeeper, you hit the nail on the head.
Since posting, I may have a line on a Bechstein model V that's been donated to an upstate conservatory but is not being used because the action is slow. I'm waiting to hear back from the conservatory technician on the year of the instrument and other details, but I'd desperately hoping this is not too good to be true. I'm extremely hopeful but I won't know until I play it and get more details. Crossing all my fingers and toes!

Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863553
06/28/19 09:54 AM
06/28/19 09:54 AM
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

Originally Posted by PHollis
Thank you all SO much for your thoughtful replies. I have looked into rentals at Faust & Harrison and one other of the larger houses here in NY and was heartbroken to find the monthly payment would be higher than my car payment.

I thought New Yorkers didn’t own cars. smile That’s why I get to buy fun stuff, the lack of a car.

Could you tell me what models you looked at at Faust & Harrison so I can get an idea of what they have? Are you looking for grands only?

Yamaha P-515, Pianoteq Standard 6
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863575
06/28/19 11:00 AM
06/28/19 11:00 AM
New York Cty, NY
P
PHollis Offline OP
PHollis  Offline OP
P

New York Cty, NY
@ LarryK So funny you say that- You're 100% correct. Most New Yorkers don't own cars. We just moved to our first house in Westchester so this is my first car in 25 years! It's likewise the reason I finally have the space for a piano but also why money is still tight.

In all honesty - there isn't a single piano at Faust & Harrison that I wouldn't be thrilled to own. They are ALL gorgeous but sadly, all out of reach budget-wise.

I am looking for a Grand or Baby / Petit grand to play and love. I couldn't care less what it looks like, it's the sound and practicality of its condition that matters to me right now. As daniokeeper said- "looking to buy an older top tier piano that's maybe not in the best of condition, but is salvageable."

My current candidates are:

1888 Bechstein model V in fine shape with the exception of it's antique "sticker action" which needs to be fully overhauled or at least re-brushed and lubricated. That will be quite costly.

1926 Steinway L that is in great shape musically and only needs the trapwork on the middle peddle replaced, but is apparently kind of beat up aesthetically.

1962 Mason & Hamlin A that I have not played or had inspected yet- chief concern here is the fact it's an Aeolian era M&H. So I won't know until I play it and have a pro look at it.

Going to inspect and play the Bechstein and Steinway today. Perhaps the M&H tomorrow. We shall see!!!

Last edited by PHollis; 06/28/19 11:02 AM.
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863617
06/28/19 12:58 PM
06/28/19 12:58 PM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
D

Scotland
Bechstein pianos in the UK and probably in the USA are mostly pre World War One. Carl Bechstein was a marketing whizz-kid, and that's when he had his big success. Things were never the same after the First World War.
At 131 years old (a thing Carl probably never envisaged), you are really in full rebuild territory with that piano.

Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863625
06/28/19 01:18 PM
06/28/19 01:18 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
The Mason & Hamlin sounds like the best of the three.

Semipro Tech
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2863676
06/28/19 04:11 PM
06/28/19 04:11 PM
PA
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
daniokeeper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PA
I just did a quick search on "piano rental nyc" and found this: https://pianony.com/piano-rental-nyc/

Grand rentals starting at $89/month. I have no idea as to their reputation or the quality of the pianos. It seems worth a phone call.

The pianos you mention all seem like they might be good choices .

You might also want to look over "The Piano Buyer" website for tips and general info:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/

Good luck smile
Joe

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)
Re: New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt [Re: PHollis] #2864148
06/30/19 07:15 AM
06/30/19 07:15 AM
Bradford County, PA
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member
UnrightTooner  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Bradford County, PA
If you want something that sounds good, stay away from a petite, or even a 5'2". go for 5'8". I am fond of Baldwin Rs, and they can be found pretty reasonable. If you want something affordable, and don't care so much for looks. forget anything in a showroom. I'd suggest you just get out there and talk to the salesmen and tuners and musicians that you can find. There may be something in a backroom that got scraped up during a move. Probably half a piano's worth is in it's looks. My gut feeling is you won't find what you want being advertised.

Best of luck!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP-695gp or N1X hybrid piano?
by James Padgett. 07/20/19 11:33 PM
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,099
Posts2,850,245
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission