2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2862934 06/26/19 10:51 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Hello. Actually I don't play piano but I wanna play this. It seems easy but I don't know can I play...

I found it:

Code
"City Of Stars"
(performed by Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone)

Left hand x4: G A# D G  GFD
City of stars
R:  G A A# D
L: G A# D G  GFD

Are you shining just for me?
R:  E F D E C D A 
L: C E G C  CA#
    D F A D  DCA

City of stars
R:  G A A# D
L: G A# D G  GFD
There's so much that I can't see
R:  E F D E C D A 
L: C E G C  CA#
    F A C F  FEC

But I think it's not same for this video. I wanna play same. Could you send me notes if you have?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think that the answer is pretty simple: If you don't play the piano then you won't be able to play this. How is one supposed to tell you how to play it if you don't play the piano?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
First ….. get a piano.

Next …. figure out which keys make the piano sounds you hear in the tune.

Then …. play (push them down) them with the same rhythm you hear.

And …. as you play …. whistle the tune you hear whistled.

Done

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here is the sheet music (or at least a version of it)

https://musescore.com/user/20684646/scores/4890437

[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
no it isn't terribly difficult, but with no experience don't expect to master it easily. I would say give it a go and enjoy yourself, and it might even lead to a lifetime of learning piano

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Fun thread!

You never know, earlofmar may be onto something.....a little inspiration can go a long way!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
That sheet music score looks pretty tricky for a beginner, dotted rhythms for example. But I too agree with earlofmar, have a go, make it a goal too learn, see where it takes you.

I started a few years ago by wanting to learn to play a particular piece of piano music. It was not suitable for a beginner and took me three years or so, but that was the beginning of my piano journey, and I learned a lot by exploring other and easier things in that first three years as well. Now I have lessons, and piano is part of my life.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exception10
But I think it's not same for this video. I wanna play same. Could you send me notes if you have?

This is one of the few times I would recommend Synthesia - for someone who only wants to learn and play a single thing. Learning to read music would be overkill in that case:

As earlofmar says though, if you end up liking piano, then you may want to learn to read music and learn to play piano for real. Or you could be like the person who finds a piano anywhere they are and plays the one song they know on it wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
E
OP Offline
E
It's gonna be kind of gift... That's why I wanna play this lol. And I know of course it's not simple. But it is maybe good beginning for me. I can understand all of you because you spend so much time on piano.

Except those, thank you who try to help... smile I will examine them.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Exception10

This is one of the few times I would recommend Synthesia - for someone who only wants to learn and play a single thing. Learning to read music would be overkill in that case:

As earlofmar says though, if you end up liking piano, then you may want to learn to read music and learn to play piano for real. Or you could be like the person who finds a piano anywhere they are and plays the one song they know on it wink

I was one of those on Monday. I'd been away from my piano for 5 days with a week still to go before I will be back in front of it and I found myself with time on my hands in St Pancras Station in London. I was able to play the only piece I know fully from memory. It was lovely just to be able to briefly play and I didn't really care about the audience. It was Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen and I did it justice I think.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
I was one of those on Monday. I'd been away from my piano for 5 days with a week still to go before I will be back in front of it and I found myself with time on my hands in St Pancras Station in London. I was able to play the only piece I know fully from memory. It was lovely just to be able to briefly play and I didn't really care about the audience. It was Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen and I did it justice I think.

Kevin, Pride, not shame! You are one song/piece better than I am! grin thumb

Oh, I remember plenty of pieces, but the ones I have kept current are all not ones I am personally interested in and I would be unlikely to play them on a "found piano."

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by KevinM

Kevin, Pride, not shame! You are one song/piece better than I am! grin thumb

Oh, I remember plenty of pieces, but the ones I have kept current are all not ones I am personally interested in and I would be unlikely to play them on a "found piano."

I took no umbrage from your comment about playing the one piece I know. I just happened to have recently done exactly that. I took the opportunity to get a little piano fix as soon as it presented itself.

Last edited by KevinM; 06/26/19 07:38 PM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
This is why it’s nice to have a repertoire of pieces you can play on demand. Just start with a few. Don’t add ones that are just for practice, to achieve a goal, only add ones you love. I’ve been working on this for a year or two and got sidetracked, but on my teachers recommendation, I’m back on it and committing 5 pieces to solid memory. They’re among my favorites, and I’ll hopefully have them for life. If you add just one a year, before you know it you’ll have your 5.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
What a great idea. What's your list of 5?

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission