2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 56 of 101 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 100 101
pagirl #2858206 06/13/19 02:27 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pagirl
Hello everyone, I am a little older than all of you, but hope you will forgive me for that... I have wanted to take piano lessons since I was a young child, so on my 81st birthday I decided it was now or never! I found the online site “Take Lessons” and was so excited that I could take lessons from home! I read all the bio’s of the teachers, and chose one that had experience with seniors. It was a wonderful choice. She has the patience of Job!!! She was the one who chose the AIO piano adventures series to study. I absolutely love it! I am on “Shepard’s Song” and it is the first real attempt to use both hands. So far, so good. I am so impressed with what all of you are doing and your great progress with this method! I have taken the advice and hints I found here to heart! I have made a couple of discoveries on this adventure... Interleaved practice on the piano, and the PA app. I really use both to my advantage! I practice in 30 to 45 minute sessions, and break up the harder pieces into random sections. It really helps! My goals are to be able to play simple versions of my favorite songs...such as the ABBA hits. My immediate goal is to be able to play an easy version of “Pour Adaline” as performed by Richard Clayderman. My teacher said I might be able to do this after I finish Book 1. I am really motivated!!! Thank you for listening, I am learning from all of you!!!

Fran

Welcome to PW, Fran! Have a great piano journey!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
pagirl #2858240 06/13/19 03:46 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hello everyone, I am a little older than all of you, but hope you will forgive me for that... I have wanted to take piano lessons since I was a young child, so on my 81st birthday I decided it was now or never! I found the online site “Take Lessons” and was so excited that I could take lessons from home! I read all the bio’s of the teachers, and chose one that had experience with seniors. It was a wonderful choice. She has the patience of Job!!! She was the one who chose the AIO piano adventures series to study. I absolutely love it! I am on “Shepard’s Song” and it is the first real attempt to use both hands. So far, so good. I am so impressed with what all of you are doing and your great progress with this method! I have taken the advice and hints I found here to heart! I have made a couple of discoveries on this adventure... Interleaved practice on the piano, and the PA app. I really use both to my advantage! I practice in 30 to 45 minute sessions, and break up the harder pieces into random sections. It really helps! My goals are to be able to play simple versions of my favorite songs...such as the ABBA hits. My immediate goal is to be able to play an easy version of “Pour Adaline” as performed by Richard Clayderman. My teacher said I might be able to do this after I finish Book 1. I am really motivated!!! Thank you for listening, I am learning from all of you!!!

Fran

Go for it and enjoy your journey.

[Linked Image]
P
P
Thank you for the encouragement Tyrone and Noble! Just finished my afternoon practice, and played through twice with no mistakes, and it’s sounding more like it should! What a rush! I love this!

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
E
E
Welcome, Fran! I was really surprised at what I could play after completing the first book. You can definitely find music that sounds great at that level! And it only gets better smile

enw10 #2858368 06/13/19 11:21 PM
P
P
Oh, I hope so! There are days that I struggle, but when I get something right it really gives me a good feeling! It’s good to know you were pleased with the program! I haven’t looked for any other music yet, other than the music I listen to on Spotify. I did find an ‘easy’ copy of “Pour Adaline” on MusicNotes.com. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Fran

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
Welcome, Fran! I love Pour Adaline too! Will check the easy copy you mentioned. Thanks, and all the very best to you 👍

Think Twice, Play Once
P
P
Thank you for the welcome Tech-key! Good to know there’s another fan! I would really be interested in what you think of it!

E
E
Hey, guys! Just popping in so our thread doesn't get lost!

I don't think I'm going to hit my goal of finishing 3B by the end of June. I've got a few other pieces going that are taking quite a bit of my time, so I'm kind of just inching through. My lessons are on Wednesday mornings, so it's looking like I'll start on book 4 on July 10th (assuming the last two pieces go smoothly).

As a side note, I've found that I REALLY enjoy playing blues and ragtime. It's not music I would've ever thought to try to play, as it's not music I ever listen to, but it's so much fun!

Hope everything is going well with all of you!

P
P
So good to see someone in here! I was afraid I’d run everyone off. I’ve been making good use of my time reading about different ways to practice, and using outside materials to supplement PA. What you said about slowing down because of your outside study made me wonder when you should start adding outside materials. I am on unit 6 in Faber, and am just starting to recognize notes on sight. Am I just getting too anxious??? Maybe I should wait just a little bit Longer?

Fran...

M
M
I still have a way to go, but what is the recommended method book after AIO book 2?

E
E
Hey, Fran!
I don't know the answer to when, but it's probably never too soon. When I was in book 1, I got the Faber supplemental books, and they were a lot of fun. Then I got a new teacher, and she said that it's really important to work on things that aren't Faber so that I don't get dependent on Nancy Faber's style. Luckily, they're easy to find. Alfred has tons of supplemental materials... or you could get an RCM preparatory book. I'm currently working through a Melody Bober book (she also levels her books), and it's really fantastic.

So, take this with a grain of salt, as I'm obviously not a piano teacher, but I would choose a supplemental book not produced by Faber, buy the most beginner level you can in the series, and see where you're at. If it's too difficult still, put it away for a couple months and come back to it.

E
E
3B comes after the AIO 2 according to the Faber website.

enw10 #2861389 06/21/19 07:27 PM
P
P
.[quote=enw10]Hey, Fran!
I don't know the answer to when, but it's probably never too soon. When I was in book 1, I got the Faber supplemental books, and they were a lot of fun. Then I got a new teacher, and she said that it's really important to work on things that aren't Faber so that I don't get dependent on Nancy Faber's style. Luckily, they're easy to find. Alfred has tons of supplemental materials... or you could get an RCM preparatory book. I'm currently working through a Melody Bober book (she also levels her books), and it's really fantastic.

So, take this with a grain of salt, as I'm obviously not a piano teacher, but I would choose a supplemental book not produced by Faber, buy the most beginner level you can in the series, and see where you're at. If it's too difficult still, put it away for a couple months and come back to it.

Thank you so much! I will definitely look up the Melody Bober book! Good luck with you hitting your goal!!!

Fran...

enw10 #2861403 06/21/19 08:10 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by enw10
3B comes after the AIO 2 according to the Faber website.

Thank you!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm back from my vacation and finally getting caught up on everything. After 4 weeks without a lesson I was happy to see my teacher on Saturday. OK, I admit, I was getting tired of working on the same o' pieces for so long. Anyway, it was a good lesson. And while I need to keep working on a few of those same pieces, I do have some new ones to work on as well, so I'm at least making some progress.

Enw10, Hello and a belated congrats on your pianoversary. Same as you I didn't think I liked blues but had fun playing the blues pieces in the Alfred's adult AIO book.

Chili_Time, Just keep doing the best you can with getting some practice time in.

HollyBytheLake, How's it going? Making any progress?

Pagirl, Hello and welcome! Sounds like you found a wonderful teacher. I'm in the same book, currently working on Royal Procession in Unit 4 through Happy Birthday in unit 6. Does your teacher play the duet parts? My teacher does and I find it adds some fun to the lesson.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
P
P
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
Hi Everyone,

I'm back from my vacation and finally getting caught up on everything. After 4 weeks without a lesson I was happy to see my teacher on Saturday. OK, I admit, I was getting tired of working on the same o' pieces for so long. Anyway, it was a good lesson. And while I need to keep working on a few of those same pieces, I do have some new ones to work on as well, so I'm at least making some progress.

Enw10, Hello and a belated congrats on your pianoversary. Same as you I didn't think I liked blues but had fun playing the blues pieces in the Alfred's adult AIO book.

Chili_Time, Just keep doing the best you can with getting some practice time in.

HollyBytheLake, How's it going? Making any progress?

Pagirl, Hello and welcome! Sounds like you found a wonderful teacher. I'm in the same book, currently working on Royal Procession in Unit 4 through Happy Birthday in unit 6. Does your teacher play the duet parts? My teacher does and I find it adds some fun to the lesson.

Hi Bluebonnet! Thank you for the welcome! Yes, she has been wonderful for me! She does try to do the duets with me, but what with the internet connection, and the distance between us...she’s in New Jersey, and I am in Oregon... it really distorts the sound and tone of the pianos. Especially in a storm. She so makes up for it in her instruction though!!! I am loving Shepard’s Song! I spent a lot of time on that one just because I enjoyed it. I am really working on the Minuet! Had to slow it way down to get any kind of rhythm! It may have to be added to next lessons assignment! I’m really looking forward to playing from supplementary materials, want to try some of the ‘easy’ sheet music! Sounds like you are ahead of me. I’m not sure how much she will assign me this time, it’s usually 3 or 4 songs. So glad to hear from someone that is doing the same sections as I am! Enjoy your lesson, and let us know how it goes?

Fran...

pagirl #2862516 06/24/19 10:16 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Bluebonnet! Thank you for the welcome! Yes, she has been wonderful for me! She does try to do the duets with me, but what with the internet connection, and the distance between us...she’s in New Jersey, and I am in Oregon... it really distorts the sound and tone of the pianos. Especially in a storm. She so makes up for it in her instruction though!!! I am loving Shepard’s Song! I spent a lot of time on that one just because I enjoyed it. I am really working on the Minuet! Had to slow it way down to get any kind of rhythm! It may have to be added to next lessons assignment! I’m really looking forward to playing from supplementary materials, want to try some of the ‘easy’ sheet music! Sounds like you are ahead of me. I’m not sure how much she will assign me this time, it’s usually 3 or 4 songs. So glad to hear from someone that is doing the same sections as I am! Enjoy your lesson, and let us know how it goes?

Fran...
Oh,I guess I assumed the teacher you found online was local. So yeah, I can imagine how that'd make playing duets tricky. I like Shepard's song, too, now that I've got the sections between measures 15 and 21 flowing better. At my last lesson I think we spent the most time on that piece with my teacher helping me to get the counting evened out and correct. For the French Minuet, I told my teacher I couldn't imagine dancing to that. So she played it and of course then I could. I'm just starting to learn it and so far my playing just sounds like an exercise in 2nd and 3rd intervals. It says to play this piece "Flowing smoothly, rather slowly", but my teacher played it rather fast and maybe that's why it sounded good?

So far the way my teacher has been assigning pieces is to drop off some of the oldest ones, keep the most recent ones for another week to review/improve, and start learning a few more. Right now it might seem like I'm working on a lot when I say my current pieces are in units 4, 5 and 6, but it's only 8 pieces total that range from very short to short. And the 4 newly assigned ones are of the very short variety. smile

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
P
P
Have you ever had a day that everything went wrong? I couldn’t hit a right note in pieces I had been playing perfectly for two weeks!!! I have always had a little trouble playing in front of others, but never to this degree. My teacher was so sweet and encouraging, but I wouldn’t blame her if she closed up shop and put an ice pack on her head!!! I have got to get a handle on this!!!

Fran...

pagirl #2862744 06/25/19 08:45 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Have you ever had a day that everything went wrong? I couldn’t hit a right note in pieces I had been playing perfectly for two weeks!!! I have always had a little trouble playing in front of others, but never to this degree. My teacher was so sweet and encouraging, but I wouldn’t blame her if she closed up shop and put an ice pack on her head!!! I have got to get a handle on this!!!

Fran...

I always have these types of days, lol...

[Linked Image]
pagirl #2862747 06/25/19 08:54 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Fran...

I have those days during every lesson. That's why I often make video recordings of my playing for my teacher to review. I find when I am playing for the "Red Dot", I'm actually much less nervous than when I am playing live for others, even one who is teaching me to play!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 56 of 101 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission