2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
heimtun Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi all - I have a Valdesta piano keyboard with one bad key. I was hoping someone might provide some guidance re getting access to the working parts of the key (keyboard) to that I can attempt to repair the bad key.
Thanks in advance -
Wayne

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello heimtun,

Valdesta is not a brand that I am familiar with, however assuming that the instrument is under warranty, I would contact the retailer from where the instrument was purchased and/or the distributor/manufacturer for assistance.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Valdesta is not a brand that I am familiar with, however assuming that the instrument is under warranty, I would contact the retailer from where the instrument was purchased and/or the distributor/manufacturer for assistance.

The Valdesta GTX is a 15-year old keyboard. It is unlikely to be sold new today and if purchased new earlier, it is unlikely to still be under warranty. It appears the OP purchased a keyboard used knowing it had one bad key and is trying to see if a DIY fix can be done. The OP is seeking help from anyone on this forum who still knows anything about this non-mainstream keyboard.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
H
heimtun Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for your replies... just to clarify... it is a GX-5, it was a gift and not a purchase, it was believed to be in working order when I picked it up... our expectation is that something happened during transportation. And, yes, I'm looking for any guidance for taking it apart. Thanks

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you can't find anything on the net to assist, my procedure would be to just assume the screws you need to remove (for case removal) are all underneath and will be the outermost. Inboard screws would most likely to fasten components to the base, so leave those. I would then expect the upper case to be liftable off (when put right way up again).

I have to do that to my Roland at some point (intermittent fault). That's the procedure for mine. When lifting off the case, watch out for wires attaching it to the base.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thickfingers
I have to do that to my Roland at some point (intermittent fault).

TF, I believe you've had your Roland less than a year and it is still under warranty. Of course warranty repair takes time as I found out. I decided to replace my power adapter myself instead of having Roland undertake warranty repair, in my case, because of the time it takes.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I've had my P90 apart several times to repair keys, so my advice is generic. Keys are pretty simple and easy to fix once you get inside. On mine once all the screws are out, you need to lift the top half high enough to disconnect the relatively short wiring connector that connects the top of the piano to the bottom. Once you've got that, it's easy to get at the key. You didn't say what kind of problem the key exhibits, but on mine there is a little spring under each key that somehow manages to work itself out of the position it's supposed to be in.

You might watch some videos on youtube about disassembling various brand keyboards, it will help you get the feel for what's inside.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Far too much trouble, Sloth. Shipping necessary also. Besides that, you know what intermittent faults are like--Scarlet Pimpernel:
"Uh, oh--a repair engineer--quick, hide!" eek

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by thickfingers
Far too much trouble, Sloth. Shipping necessary also. Besides that, you know what intermittent faults are like--Scarlet Pimpernel:
"Uh, oh--a repair engineer--quick, hide!" eek

What model is that? I admit I'm interested purely so that I can avoid it, btw. I think I'll start a list of DPs to avoid, so that when I finally can buy one I'll buy one that isn't on my list - if there is one, that is.

Last edited by petebfrance; 06/26/19 01:54 PM.

regards
Pete
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Roland FP-30. Intermittent scrunching (mechanical not electrical) noise on some of the black keys. Seems to be something loose (sometimes!).
Incidences have been reported by other owners also, from what I hear.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks @thickfingers. Doesn't sound really serious, and hope it causes no further problems. I think I'll start a list, though. My ancient 1990s Casio CPS-7 which has had admittedly mostly casual use until fairly recently doesn't seem to exhibit any problems (well, except horrible tone and nasty keyboard, but they are 'features') and I wonder if the difference is that these days DPs are just more sophisticated / complicated with more to go wrong.

regards
Pete
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by petebfrance
Thanks @thickfingers. Doesn't sound really serious, and hope it causes no further problems. I think I'll start a list, though. My ancient 1990s Casio CPS-7 which has had admittedly mostly casual use until fairly recently doesn't seem to exhibit any problems (well, except horrible tone and nasty keyboard, but they are 'features') and I wonder if the difference is that these days DPs are just more sophisticated / complicated with more to go wrong.

If your taking notes, you can note that my FP30 power adapter also died during a storm-related power outage after only about 9 months. Replaced the power adapter on my own nickel (although in theory, like TF, I could have sought warranty service if I was willing to pay shipping one-way) and all was working alright again.

[Linked Image]

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
One piece of advice: during disassembly, take pictures. Especially of what screws go where.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
H
heimtun Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Again, thanks for the good input and feedback. Someone asked... what is wrong with key... very simple - physically the key works just like any other key - no sound it produced however.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by petebfrance

If your taking notes, you can note that my FP30 power adapter also died during a storm-related power outage after only about 9 months. Replaced the power adapter on my own nickel (although in theory, like TF, I could have sought warranty service if I was willing to pay shipping one-way) and all was working alright again.

Thanks - I wasn't going to be as organized as that, and tbh the FP30 was already on my (mental) list for 'various reasons.' I suppose, though, that a database of reported faults on DPs would be a useful thing - at the moment I just make a 'mental note' of ones to avoid, which is probably doomed to fail with my memory being what it is. So far, well, best not to say too much...….

regards
Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission