2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
K
Perhaps just me, i find it strange, some prefer not to post the rate. What the reason of this? Will teacher charge different for different students?

From a consumer POV, i can rule out so many options, if i saw a teach er charge $100 a lesson, i don't bother to check other thing. it is not because i don't think they deserve to charge 100 but i don't want to pay 100.

It is all about transparency. Why do i have to contact the teacher to find out the rate? it remind me piano and car dealer. It always so much time waste bouncing around different dealers..etc

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Likewise, if I see a teacher charge $40/month I will not follow up.

Learner
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KL NY
Will teacher charge different for different students?

Would it be unreasonable if teachers did charge students differently? After all, as just one example, I could easily imagine it would require more effort to prepare an advanced student for a piano diploma then it would be to teach a typical grade 1 student.

Originally Posted by malkin

I guess this depends on what area of the world I'm in and the cost-of-living there. But yes, in the US, I wouldn't either as I'd want a teacher with more experience than a rate like that represents.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I like the scenario someone mentioned earlier in the thread: Post your rates on a sub-page (can't think of the proper name offhand) so that it's not the first thing prospective clients see, but it is available for those who would like that information available to them.

There's almost no web presence for piano teachers in my area. It is a puzzle to me.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by KL NY
Will teacher charge different for different students?

Would it be unreasonable if teachers did charge students differently? After all, as just one example, I could easily imagine it would require more effort to prepare an advanced student for a piano diploma then it would be to teach a typical grade 1 student.

Originally Posted by malkin

I guess this depends on what area of the world I'm in and the cost-of-living there. But yes, in the US, I wouldn't either as I'd want a teacher with more experience than a rate like that represents.

I’ve witnessed a 3 year finish a lesson with my son’s teacher once. I can’t imagine anything more difficult than trying to teach a 3 year old how to play piano. The most amazing part of the lesson was the child was actually cooperative, learning and smiling.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 06/14/19 07:41 PM.

Yamaha G2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

A common misconception.

Teaching beginners is typically a lot more labor and thought intensive than teaching advanced students.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by rocket88
[
A common misconception.

Teaching beginners is typically a lot more labor and thought intensive than teaching advanced students.

I don't dispute that, and I guess no one who had raised a child will dispute that.

A daycare teacher taking care of 3-year-olds is typically a lot more labor and thought intensive than teaching university students. They are different challenges, different skill sets, and of different market values, unfortunately.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006

I’ve witnessed a 3 year finish a lesson with my son’s teacher once. I can’t imagine anything more difficult than trying to teach a 3 year old how to play piano. The most amazing part of the lesson was the child was actually cooperative, learning and smiling.

Guess what, teaching a 2-year-old to play piano would be more difficult, and teachers who teach 2 year olds are deserved to get 2 times more.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The greater skill and challenge remains greater for teaching a five year old beginner, seven year old beginner, ten year old beginner, or older. The challenge has to do with the skills that need to be given - and does not have to do with the age of the student being taught. All foundations on the various sides of playing music on an instrument must be established at a time when the students has none whatsoever - and in a way that will not disturb what is good and natural. What the advanced student does becomes easy or hard due to those foundations. The teachers of beginners are not given nearly enough respect or recognition. That's why it drives me nuts when a novice wanting to learn to teach is told, "Why not grab a bunch of beginners."

B
B
I'm brand new to "piano teaching as a viable business", so I can't tell you how effective this is/will be yet, but I have a "lessons" page that does not mention my fee, but there is a link to a studio policies pdf that does include rate, payment structure, and details like that.

I get that there is a culture around music/piano teaching that makes it feel impolite to talk too much about what time with the maestro might cost, but as a consumer who is planning on committing a significant amount of money on this service (over $1k a year), it's vital information. Playing hard to get about rates leaves a bad impression when I'm shopping for lessons, and I don't want any potential students or families to walk away because they can't get the details they need in a clear and easy way.

But, we'll see if it works, or if it matters much one way or the other.

I'm also hoping that having my rates posted will prevent potential students from feeling like the rates are negotiable, and having to have haggling conversations with people.

So far (and literally, I am two days into this endeavor), I've had one person contact me saying, basically, "Hi, I'm interested in lessons, I saw your schedule/rates and I'm ready to pre-pay for the fall," and one person contact me saying, "Hi, what do you charge for piano lessons."

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BluMunk
I'm also hoping that having my rates posted will prevent potential students from feeling like the rates are negotiable, and having to have haggling conversations with people.

I've had only one person try to haggle with me on my rates in the decades I've been teaching. I wouldn't worry too much about having to deal with that if you don't post rates. I've not had a website most of the years I've taught, and haggling was never a problem except with that one person, and only once with him.

Simply answer, "My rates aren't negotiable."

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
What the advanced student does becomes easy or hard due to those foundations.

This is so true.

Since I do quite a bit of judging and adjudicating during the year, I see results of good teaching. It does exist, in pockets. Many teachers clearly know what they are doing and can engender results based on their teaching method(s).

But what drives me nuts is the sheer number of incompetent teachers who continue to get clueless clients and churn out deplorable students. A few of their students get to me, and by then there's absolutely nothing I can do to salvage the students.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
H
H
Consumer here - but I definitely like to see rates on the webpage. It's not my top priority - but after seeing "About me" info, testimonials from students, and studio policies - the rate is next most important. Not because I'm trying to save the most money, but because it gives me an idea who the teacher is.
If they are charging $80/hour, I have no doubt they are worth that - and NOT for me. Why? Because I'm a casual player who isn't trying to be the best there is, have a limited budget, and also require some flexibility with my time because of my job. Not only are they probably not the right teacher for me, but I can almost guarantee I am also not the right student for them - they're going to want someone who is a lot more serious about their studies.
On the other hand, if they charge $30/hour, I know that teacher is probably pretty inexperienced or not very good (can't keep schedule full), and more importantly, doesn't have confidence in their skills. If they were confident in their abilities they would be charging more in line with what other teacher's charge.
If instructors are in the ballpark average for my area, then I'm not going to nickle and dime, and choose one because they're $5 less than another. But it does help weed out the extremes and avoid wasting both my and the teacher's time.

If I'm looking and see, say, 10 teachers who look similarly qualified - and 5 of them post prices (within the average range for this area), and 5 of them don't - I'm going to talk to the 5 with prices first. I will only go to the 5 without prices if all of the first 5 fall through for some reason.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I do not have a website. I am on LinkedIn, but not FaceBook. I have about 30 students, and am happy with that.

When a random person learns that I am a piano teacher, they ask, "oh, I always wanted to learn/my child wants to learn/how much do you charge?"

My first question back is, "do you have a piano?"

Then, I ask them to contact me (I provide email and cell number) to set up a free 15 minute interview, where I will go over my policy page and expectations.

My rationalization is this- if they cannot make the effort to contact me, own a piano, and meet for 15 minutes, then they are not going to commit to paying for lessons and practice.

Or,
if they straight out just want to know my rates, I respond with, well, that's like asking what I charge for cutting someone's yard- do I use their mower or mine, do I trim hedges, do I mulch, how large is the yard, how often for service, what about flowers, etc...
my simply stating a price without telling ALL I have to offer is a disservice to both of us.

Word of mouth is the best recommendation.
Bonus- I have never ONCE had a problem collecting tuition from my home studio families. I have a relationship with them.

(also, I am a bit of a techno-phobe, although I am not old. I'm in my 40's) (That is NOT old)

Learning as I teach.
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
Consumer here - but I definitely like to see rates on the webpage. It's not my top priority - but...

Originally Posted by Hummingbird
If I'm looking and see, say, 10 teachers who look similarly qualified - and 5 of them post prices (within the average range for this area), and 5 of them don't - I'm going to talk to the 5 with prices first. I will only go to the 5 without prices if all of the first 5 fall through for some reason.

To my mind, these two quotes are somewhat in conflict with each other.

You say that, though you like to see rates on a webpage, it's not your top priority. However, if you find 10 teachers who appear similarly qualified, but don't contact the 5 who don't post rates unless the 5 who do all fail somehow, then you are making a teacher's non-posting of rates a very big priority to you.

Words on a page will only go so far in getting to know who a teacher really is and how s/he operates. Many teachers might "sound" similar in print, but there can be vast differences between them in how they actually teach and relate in a face-to-face situation. How would you know you weren't trading an excellent teacher for an okay one if you rejected the excellent one who didn't post rates and instead chose a merely okay teacher who did?

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by missbelle
...my simply stating a price without telling ALL I have to offer is a disservice to both of us.

I'm with you on this. All who ask about my rates also get a rundown of what they get for the price.

Originally Posted by missbelle
(also, I am a bit of a techno-phobe, although I am not old. I'm in my 40's) (That is NOT old)

Indeed 40-something is not old. wink

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Andamento

How would you know you weren't trading an excellent teacher for an okay one if you rejected the excellent one who didn't post rates and instead chose a merely okay teacher who did?

So well put! I'm happy to lose out as a piano teacher to those who are price shoppers vs learning shoppers.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose

How would you know you weren't trading an excellent teacher for an okay one if you rejected the excellent one who didn't post rates and instead chose a merely okay teacher who did?

So well put! I'm happy to lose out as a piano teacher to those who are price shoppers vs learning shoppers.

To want to know the price range beforehand does not mean one is price shopping. When I decided to have piano lessons, I did not know if they cost 20 euros or 100 euros. Every single teacher had the prices listed on their site, so I could be pleasantly surprised to see even the most expensive only were around 40 euros. That meant more money could be spend on buying the piano.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo

To want to know the price range beforehand does not mean one is price shopping. When I decided to have piano lessons, I did not know if they cost 20 euros or 100 euros. Every single teacher had the prices listed on their site, so I could be pleasantly surprised to see even the most expensive only were around 40 euros. That meant more money could be spend on buying the piano.

Agree! That is not price shopping. Just trying to understand the "local" market.

[Linked Image]
M
M
:
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by outo

Agree! That is not price shopping. Just trying to understand the "local" market.

I'm kind of coming from the opposite perspective: post my rates so that if it's not withing someone's price range, neither of us waste our time. Nothing against them - we all have to work within our means - and I'm certainly not trying to price-gauge, but enticing someone with all the great stuff you can do only to have them find out that they can't afford you can be disrespectful. I teach for a living. People pay me and that's not a secret.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission