2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2861465 06/22/19 02:46 AM
OP Offline
When a piano string breaks, there are some instances when it is better to tie the string rather than replace it. Do you agree with me? Here are four videos, but two knotes. Which of the two knotes shown in the video do you use?

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I make the two opposing loops and thread them together.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
I make the knot from videos 1&2, though I pre-form the two bends before snapping them together. I couldn't tell for sure what the guy in video 3 was doing... The verbal instructions sounded like he was making the same knot as in 1&2 but he always seemed to block the camera with his hand during the important bits. I've never tried the square knot from video 4, but it looks interesting.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
When a piano string breaks, there are some instances when it is better to tie the string rather than replace it. Do you agree with me?

Yes, I agree. It's especially desirable in the bass section in the double string area. A new string won't match the tone of the old one, so a splice is usually the best thing to do, in my opinion. You can sometimes even have the splice in the speaking area and it will sound fine.

I also use the knot in the first two videos.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
I use #1 essentially and it has never let me down. In fact I learned how to splice knots from this video so if you who made the video is ready this perchance I want to say thank you it has helped at least one tech---me. The one thing that bothers me (although perhaps I should really look at this complaint as a good thing in ways lol) is that one doesn't break too many strings in the run of a year and you kind of forget the little things you learned the last time you spliced.

With me it's not the knot itself that is a problem its the fact that I generally end up with (1) too much wasted string when I cut it the first time from my stock string to use as the new string that will eventually go into the tuning pin. I usually cut that too long (should be around 8-10 inches I think but that seems to vary). (2) Often I end up with too many coils by the time I get it tied and the proper tone developed.. Before I slip the new wire in the pin to coil it I already have the pin backed out 3 full turns then I pull the spliced wire by hand up past the pin in question and allow 4 fingers width past the pin. There I cut it. That bugs me because I shoot for 3 or 4 coils and end up with 4 or 5. That's fine but if you want to punch the pin in at some point for better torque on the pin you are limiting your space before the coils start hitting the frame.

Did one last week and it turned out okay so maybe I'm getting better at it finally.

Last edited by Duaner; 06/23/19 12:32 PM.

Duane Graves

"Pushin 72...still haven fun I think..."
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Duane,

I use three fingers, that sometimes that's too much. Got to account for the wire in the splice coming together. Can be at least one half a turn often.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Duane,

I use three fingers, that sometimes that's too much. Got to account for the wire in the splice coming together. Can be at least one half a turn often.

Pwg

Thank you, Peter. I'll try that.

Duane Graves

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
BTW, I use the identical double loop method. Learned it from Yat Lam Hong 40 years ago.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
I have used both but primarily the double-opposite-loop method. Seems to have less slack to tighten up than the square knot. Square might be easier to trim the wire tails in some circumstances because they are on the same side of the knot.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by That Guy
When a piano string breaks, there are some instances when it is better to tie the string rather than replace it. Do you agree with me?

Yes, I agree. It's especially desirable in the bass section in the double string area. A new string won't match the tone of the old one, so a splice is usually the best thing to do, in my opinion. You can sometimes even have the splice in the speaking area and it will sound fine.

I also use the knot in the first two videos.

I don't like splices in the speaking area of the string. Especially bass strings. I've come across some pretty horrible splices that completely mangled the winding, or where the winding was part of the splice.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by P W Grey
BTW, I use the identical double loop method. Learned it from Yat Lam Hong 40 years ago.

Pwg

Well... they're almost identical. cool smile

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Keith,

You're pullin my strings. 😁

Mirror image switched over double loop knot. 🤣

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I don't like splices in the speaking area of the string. Especially bass strings. I've come across some pretty horrible splices that completely mangled the winding, or where the winding was part of the splice.

Yeah, not my first choice but sometimes you find yourself in a desperate situation. Desperate times call for desperate measures... wink Doesn't look good but, I've just found it fascinating that a splice in the speaking length could actually sound okay. Not all the time, but most of the time it does.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
I mean, sometimes you have to "break-the-rules" a little to get back out on the street and drive away to your next appointment.

I remember a couple of years ago I got a call to "check" a piano that another tech had worked on and they weren't happy. I hate doing that because it's not a big area that I work in and all the techs "feel" the competition. I went though as I was close by (town before this one on a route) and what the previous tech had done is a bass string broke on him and he spliced it in the speaking area.

Everything would have been fine but he never went back to bring the spiced string up to pitch again and it sounded awful as it was real flat by this time. Me, being such dumb AND a green-horn (still am but getting better), instead of bringing it up to pitch I took it off (it was a double) but the wedge damper was not damping of course (I see "now" that other techs bend the damper wire so the wedge lays hard against the remaining string....I didn't know that then) and this lady played all over the keyboard and didn't like that either.

That was two years ago and I have learned much since then about a lot of things but with this if I figure if I had just brought it up to pitch everything would have been fine. But my idea was at the time was "you can't splice in the speaking area" (got that from a textbook and thought it was solid truth) but from that I learned several good and proven principles and one is splice it in the speaking area if that's all that's left and you don't have another string but get back there or phone to see how it's doing (sounding) in a couple of weeks.

Duane Graves

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Duane,

Yes, one learns these things, either the easy way or the hard way.

Actually, splicing in the speaking length (of course you have to remove some of the copper...you know that) can be surprisingly effective as the weight of the splice replaces the weight loss from removing copper.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Duaner
I mean, sometimes you have to "break-the-rules" a little to get back out on the street and drive away to your next appointment.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I would rather be sure the customer will have me back next time they need service.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
In a case like this I infirm the client of the options:

1) I will attempt to splice the string normally

2) If unsuccessful, I can attempt to splice it in the speaking length. If successful, it is their choice as to whether to keep it or have me order a replacement.

3) Just order a replacement and install it.

I have had cases where the spliced string sounds virtually fine, and others where it sounded funky.

We are not 'breaking' any rules. As long as the client knows What is going on (or knows as soon as they are available) and is in on the decisions, everything is above board.

Splicing is a vital technique to the true craftsman/woman. It can solve numerous problems.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission