2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 42 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 41 42
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Regarding the A-E-B, well I don’t hear the B enough, maybe it’s masked by the more louder other notes but it’s the one that gives the differing “color” of that chord, compared to the pure A major of the first chord.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's very strange, but a (little?) known phenomenon. It should be blindingly obvious that CG can't have meant "terrible", as
A) he's already highly praised Acolyte's playing, and
B) His following sentence (after "terrible) is more high praise, with the "kudos" remark.
So...must be a vocab error.
It certainly is a remarkable phenomenon...(the core of my current project, non-music related). [/offtopic]

OP Offline
Originally Posted by thickfingers
It's very strange, but a (little?) known phenomenon. It should be blindingly obvious that CG can't have meant "terrible", as
A) he's already highly praised Acolyte's playing, and
B) His following sentence (after "terrible) is more high praise, with the "kudos" remark.
So...must be a vocab error.
It certainly is a remarkable phenomenon...(the core of my current project, non-music related). [/offtopic]

Are you a linguist major? That's nice

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What’s more “terrible” is that sometimes I do that while speaking in my native language, using a word that sounds similar but is the wrong word and can happen to be the opposite of what I meant. However I realize it with some slight delay and correct myself. Not with English though frown I still struggle constructing even some simple sentences from time to time and constantly try to remember grammar rules, etc.

On the other hand I’ve been fascinated all my life with puns which originated with me always imagining closely sounding words from other words even as a kid. That has caused me problems in school since I would respond with puns to teachers. And with girlfriends laugh

OP Offline
Originally Posted by CyberGene
What’s more “terrible” is that sometimes I do that while speaking in my native language, using a word that sounds similar but is the wrong word and can happen to be the opposite of what I meant. However I realize it with some slight delay and correct myself. Not with English though frown I still struggle constructing even some simple sentences from time to time and constantly try to remember grammar rules, etc.

On the other hand I’ve been fascinated all my life with puns which originated with me always imagining closely sounding words from other words even as a kid. That has caused me problems in school since I would respond with puns to teachers. And with girlfriends laugh

I'm clumsy when speaking in my language even. Sometimes I say weird stuff...but last time when my roommate mentioned he has to have his bow rehaired, I asked him "so when are you going to get your hair rebowed?" and we looked at each other weirdly for a sec... laugh

Or in a shop, I needed some Kleenex (a brand of tissues) and sometimes a word slips out of my mind...so I said "I need some Kleenex, for my uh...nose". And we laughed for good 10 minutes, like "sure, sure, let's get some Kleenex for your...nose", wink laugh (I made an awkward pause before "nose" so it probably looked like I'm looking for a reason to buy 4 packs of soft tissues)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
LOL, tell me about talking awkward. And then wanting to smash my head from embarrassment...

I remember recently I wrote something like “banging on the keys all night” here, and EssBrace responded that I should bang somewhere else laugh

OP Offline
LOL, tell me about talking awkward. And then wanting to smash my head from embarrassment...

I remember recently I wrote something like “banging on the keys all night” here, and EssBrace responded that I should bang somewhere else laugh

Nothing wrong with banging the keys all night long wink You gotta do what you love! Youknow, girls, they come and go...but piano, that's one true passion we should not neglect.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, you know, pianos come and go too... Just look at my signature laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In French language, we have a “terrible” word which means terrific... but Google traduction propose terrible instead !

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I had to google translate "traduction". It translates to "translate". How terrible!
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
In French language, we have a “terrible” word which means terrific... but Google traduction propose terrible instead !

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For some weird reason, and mainly because English is not my native language I always thought “terrible” means great, used for praise. Thanks to Joe and checking my dictionary I realized it meant totally the opposite. I feel extremely dumb right now.

Don't worry, I used to confuse terrible and terrific as well. English isn't my native language either.

Yamaha P-515
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hardly surprising that such gaffes occur, with the magnitude of the perversion (sorry for the verbosity, no other way to put it) that the word in question has undergone, over time. How it occurred can only be boggled at (if you have the time).
It's sister word "horrific" means exactly what you'd expect, being an adjectivisation of the noun. The similar process applied to "terror", somehow, has evolved to mean "fabulous"! Virtually the opposite .
Funny language. Don't envy an adult foreigner trying to learn it.
Have to say, can't denigrate this Bulgarian's grasp of it, whenever he learned it.
That means, gentlemen, that we had here an unexpected accident. I rest my case--regardless of the indignantly qualified nature of the defendant, he should be acquitted of the "terrible" charge.
[/offtopic]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
English is a terribly complex and treacherous language. "You played terribly" and "You played terribly well" have opposite meanings. In other words, 'terribly' means 'awful' or 'atrociously' etc, or 'very' or 'exceptionally' etc, depending upon the context.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Treachery is right. It's a language for deceit, and has been perverted over centuries for just that reason. "White man speak with forked tongue!" sick

Last edited by thickfingers; 06/23/19 04:39 AM. Reason: Wrong smiley
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you think English is difficult try Bulgarian laugh I think it’s just me who sucks at foreign languages.

Terrible has many meanings, including terrifying, horrifying, dreadful, appalling, frightful, and sickening.
Long ago it was sometimes used as a simple superlative upon the following adjective, and might not indicate anything bad at all.
Modern usage has dispensed with the latter and it's almost always used to denote something bad.

Anyway ... welcome to the mis-stated phrase club, CG. For reference see My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Terrible has many meanings, including terrifying, horrifying, dreadful, appalling, frightful, and sickening.
Long ago it was sometimes used as a simple superlative upon the following adjective, and might not indicate anything bad at all.
Modern usage has dispensed with the latter and it's almost always used to denote something bad.

It's actually the reverse. It started with the word "terrible" meaning something bad, and then with the ly ending, was subsequently used as an adverb (which I think is what you mean by "superlative upon the following adjective") for emphasis of something bad... and eventually started getting used for emphasis regardless of whether it was emphasizing something bad or something good.

See https://www.etymonline.com/word/terrible for the original word and https://english.stackexchange.com/q...ribly-come-to-mean-very-or-exceptionally for its subsequent evolution first as a negative and then neutral (i.e. "either way") intensifier.

Thanks for the link anotherscott, that's terribly interesting! wink

It's perhaps even more confusing (to non-native speakers) when combined with a negative, e.g. "not terribly good".

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Just to kinda get to the original topic...the VPC-1 is still listed with 10% discount (+free delivery) on that online store website (total $1664.10)...even though the "sale" ended! However, it happened to me in the past that just when I hit that "order" button the site gave me an error, i.e. the business retracted from that offer. I'm tempted to order it, but since the store itself is in NY, I'd have a hard time returning it.

I want to try Casio GP300, I saw videos from Bonners and the keys are SUPER long and it looks very nice (also the moving hammers one sees when the lid is open are cute). However...
1) (most disconcerting) I heard people here on PW complain a lot about GP300 (cheap build quality, wobble, bad sound...), so in that case it's not worth that price
2) from what I seen it lacks escapement. Again, one can argue how useful the escapement notch is since 99.999% of interacting with piano is spent by pressing keys so that they make an actual sound, not playing around with notch so slight that it won't even make a sound... (I found escapement on Kawai GF also very slight)

I wish there were stores like Bonners in the US smirk Bonners seem to have EVERYTHING, mainly high-end Casio, Yamaha and Kawai.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
GP300 isn’t worth it IMO. Try again the VPC1 if possible again to see if it’s heavy enough. I don’t think it’s heavier feeling than the P515. From there on you should try Fatar keyboards just for reference, also CLP-675 although it’s expensive. Of course DS88 as you seem to like it.

Page 26 of 42 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission