2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Sorry Bob I really do want you to find the right piano
for you !
Talking brands Seiler is a really great brand with a long
history. The Charles Walter is also highly regarded here.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Sorry Bob I really do want you to find the right piano
for you !
Talking brands Seiler is a really great brand with a long
history. The Charles Walter is also highly regarded here.

No problem!

I'm glad that both of those are so highly regarded!

The shop also mentioned that the Seiler has a really nice action and YT videos say the same thing. Apparently the sound is really nice also, much different than Yamaha.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
There are many brands though that are highly regarded including Chinese pianos.
Do you know anything about the price of the Seiler
or the Charles Walter?

P
OP Offline
P
There are many brands though that are highly regarded including Chinese pianos.
Do you know anything about the price of the Seiler
or the Charles Walter?

Only that when I told him my max price was about $3,500 he said "these two are in your price range" so I'm assuming that price or under.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
When they are new these 2 are highly priced........
Have you looked up Brand Profiles on Piano Buyer.
These are all new pianos so the prices can be quite
shocking.
There is good reading about various brands however.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 06/21/19 08:20 PM. Reason: Missing word
P
OP Offline
P
When they are new these 2 are highly priced........
Have you looked up Brand Profiles on Piano Buyer.
These are all new pianos so the prices can be quite
shocking.
There is good reading about various brands however.

I ordered a copy of the piano bluebook, i havent received it yet

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Is the paper version different from what you can get on the Piano Blue Book online site?

Also, Bob, I meant to ask you, you wrote about telling a dealer you were wanting used pianos that were “institutional” — what do you mean by that? Pianos that were used in schools or something else?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Is the paper version different from what you can get on the Piano Blue Book online site?

No idea.
Also, Bob, I meant to ask you, you wrote about telling a dealer you were wanting used pianos that were “institutional” — what do you mean by that? Pianos that were used in schools or something else?

Yes, exactly that.

Last edited by PianoWVBob; 06/22/19 07:44 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
Just to add to that, I wanted one because they are built to take abuse, beefier frame, beefier foot pedal levers, etc. They hold tuning well...etc.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
Just to add to that, I wanted one because they are built to take abuse, beefier frame, beefier foot pedal levers, etc. They hold tuning well...etc.

Pianos that were used in schools and institutions are specifically chosen because they can take a lot of abuse. When they do become available for resale they have quite a few battle scars and are quite beat up overall. It sounds like you want a piano that’s a popular choice for institutions but in fact was owned “by a little old lady who only played church hymns on Sunday morning.” Those can be challenging to find. The cool thing is makes and models used in schools because of their durability are very popular with new piano buyers because “we had Yamaha U1s for practice in college so that’s what we’ll get for our home”.
While you’re waiting for your piano shopping days, you can read the other piano company’s profiles in The Piano Buyer by Larry Fine. Companies known for steady durable pianos usually highlight that in the profile.
**Now you have a whole fan club waiting for your shopping trip. You might just have to make a film of your adventure.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j

**Now you have a whole fan club waiting for your shopping trip. You might just have to make a film of your adventure.

This!! smile

As to institutional pianos, I would add to j&j's comment about them being "quite beat up overall" -- namely, you want to be very wary of a piano used in a school practice room that has been played to death, almost literally. Although, if you're looking pianos that have had significant work done on them, this is less of a concern.

But in any case, I think several of us have discussed earlier the importance for you to play some new pianos and pianos way out of your budget. If you're planning to buy a school piano, this is doubly important. If you can play a new upright piano, and then sit down and play a school piano, I think you will be able to tell if the school piano is in good shape or not. You want to look for notes that sound dead, keys that feel like they bottom out etc. If the used piano doesn't have those issues, then you probably don't have to worry so much about it having been a school piano.

Also, don't forget that you can ask the salesperson to play for you, and you could have him/her play on a few different pianos. Stand back and listen and compare, I am sure you'll be able to notice if a piano has been "played to death."

As to what my opinion is based on, I am a university professor (not in a music-related field) and I have played a lot of pianos in university practice rooms. Most of them have been pianos I would not want to buy. As you probably remember, I'm shopping for a grand, and I've let some tuners and techs in the area know so that they can share info with me if they have any. A few weeks back, I got a call about a university thatis in the process of switching all its pianos to Steinways and so over the next few months will be selling off all of the pianos they currently have. I told the tech that I didn't want to even look at any pianos that had been used in practice rooms, but I would look at any faculty pianos and any pianos used for other purposes. (This is a location I'd have a bit of a drive to get to as well, so basically I'm not making the drive just to look at practice room instruments). Thus far, the only ones up for sale are from practice rooms.

Which is a lot of words to say: be wary of institutional pianos. smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 06/22/19 09:42 AM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Ok...understood.

I CAN get a new one though if the price is right. That's not ALL I was looking for, I hope I didn't give that impression, I just meant I would not have a problem with a plain jane institutional model rather than something ornate, not that I was specifically looking for pianos coming out of schools.

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T

The catch is, they tend to've been used in institutions - some of the toughest - at least greatest usage of any instruments.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by tend to rush

The catch is, they tend to've been used in institutions - some of the toughest - at least greatest usage of any instruments.

Yes, I understand that, but I'm also thinking new too.

This wasn't my only desire, just that I mentioned it.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Institutional models are generally the same as the corresponding home model internally. The differences are in the cases: legs attached to the body at the bottom, for instance. A lot of people want that, even for home use. Also, they may be a little cheaper initially, because so many are made for institutions.

Semipro Tech
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by BDB
Institutional models are generally the same as the corresponding home model internally. The differences are in the cases: legs attached to the body at the bottom, for instance. A lot of people want that, even for home use. Also, they may be a little cheaper initially, because so many are made for institutions.

Yes, and rubber casters for moving, an extra back post or two, etc. Again...it was just a remark made by a noob...things might change 180 degrees after I see a few and play and get the lay of the land...at this point, I don't have any good idea of what I want or what's best for me.

it's tough being an empty bucket smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ok...understood.

I CAN get a new one though if the price is right. That's not ALL I was looking for, I hope I didn't give that impression, I just meant I would not have a problem with a plain jane institutional model rather than something ornate, not that I was specifically looking for pianos coming out of schools.

Ahh, that makes sense! If you're budget is somewhat flexible, I suspect you'll be able to get a very nice, good quality, not-very-old used upright without needing to specifically purchase an institutional piano. It's when someone has a super tight, low budget but wants very high quality that things become difficult.

it's tough being an empty bucket

I think you're doing a great job!! Pianos are complex, and there's an overwhelming amount of info online, so it's a lot to wade through.

Oh, btw, you'll have to let us know if any of the dealers you talk to mention PW. When I visited a dealer two weeks ago, he brought up the internet (of his own accord, I didn't mention anything about it) and then sort of bad-mouthed PW, calling it toxic IIRC. He was otherwise very good and his shop seems reputable, so I won't hold it against him. But he would probably not say things like that if he knew that I've been a member of PW for 15 years and think it's one of the best places on the internet! laugh

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 06/22/19 12:41 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
The Yamaha P22 (institutional )can be a very good piano.

P
OP Offline
P
The Yamaha P22 (institutional )can be a very good piano.

Thank you!

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by gwing
Please be careful what brand you do buy .A very well qualified technician called 2 fairy well known brands
pianos "a waste of lumber " !!!

I don't think it really helps people to make statements that worry people without any useful information in it to help them make their choices. My impression is that most well known brands offer a range of pianos at various price points and qualities but, unless you go below the price point at which you can realistically manufacture a piano, I'm not aware of any brands that today make pure junk.

If you care to share the detail of which brands are said to be a "waste of lumber" and what the source of that information is I would be interested.

He was was not just talking nonsense.He is a highly regarded professional. I would certainly not just buy any Chinese piano.
You do not you know what you are taking about.
If the wood used for the soundboard has not been properly treated who knows what may happen ?
No I feel I cannot mention the names of the instruments because I do not want to end up in court.
And if you expect me to mention the technician I do not
feel comfortable doing that either.
Only a fool would spend a a few thousand $ on just
ANY piano!

Gwing I am sorry for overreacting ! I should also not call anyone a fool if I believe they making a mistake
in the brand piano they buy.Sorry everyone on this thread as well.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission