2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Blague, 1957, anotherscott, Abdol, Alex Hutor, BeeZee4, ando, 19 invisible), 541 guests, and 365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Does anyone know if these piano's can get quite loud, and wich one of these is the loudest?

I ask this for a few reasons.

I sometimes think about beeing a street artist. Now i don't know for sure if i will actually try that some time in the future, but it is an idea that's in my head. Unfortunatly a real piano is not easy to transport, so it would have to be a DP. I would like to know if the amp/speakers on a DP like that are up to that task, or would you definitly need more amplification?

Another reason i ask this now is i can get a good deal on a barely used Roland FP90 right now. I was thinking of replacing my yamaha cp33 with a VPC1 some day, but now that this possible deal has come up, it is tempting because it adds the posibility of playing outside, if it can get loud enough. And from what i have read i do believe the PHA-50 is pretty good, even tough the RM3 grand ii action in the VPC1 would probably be preferable for home use.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I expect all three instruments will sound okay outside from a players position, however step a few metres away and the situation will be very different for passers by.

You will probably need an external speaker.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Kawai James

You will probably need an external speaker.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hmm.. Not the answer i was hoping for, but your probably right. I would need to carry so much stuff tough.

- Digital piano
- stand
- seat
- accu pack
- external speaker

Maybe better to go and learn the violin... crazy

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, that is my experience, also.

When you take away the walls and ceiling, the sound just seems to disappear a few (40-50) feet away.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Does anyone know if these piano's can get quite loud, and wich one of these is the loudest?

I ask this for a few reasons.

I sometimes think about beeing a street artist. Now i don't know for sure if i will actually try that some time in the future, but it is an idea that's in my head. Unfortunatly a real piano is not easy to transport, so it would have to be a DP. I would like to know if the amp/speakers on a DP like that are up to that task, or would you definitly need more amplification?

Another reason i ask this now is i can get a good deal on a barely used Roland FP90 right now. I was thinking of replacing my yamaha cp33 with a VPC1 some day, but now that this possible deal has come up, it is tempting because it adds the posibility of playing outside, if it can get loud enough. And from what i have read i do believe the PHA-50 is pretty good, even tough the RM3 grand ii action in the VPC1 would probably be preferable for home use.

Although the FP90 has the greatest amplification of the 3 models, it's still not that loud. As mentioned by the guy's, the speakers are so positioned to make the playing experience optimal, not the listening experience from the audience POV.
In your position, I'd consider a PA for outdoor use.

You've got a dilema because the VPC1 action is really nice; however, if you buy that, you'll need indoor monitors and an outdoor PA for your use; whereas, an ES8 or FP90 would leave you only requiring the PA. Then there is the issue of portability. The FP90 and ES8 aren't as light as the Casio PX-S3000. Also, the Casio can be powered on batteries and is a newer release.

I would definitely try out a bunch of alternatives to get a feel for what you value the most out of the various characteristics: sound, portability, user interface, weight, action etc.
Also, are you playing on your own outside or in a band? Some models sound better in mono than others!!!

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Honestly, I don't think the FP-90's speakers will be loud enough, I can't listen and test, but from my memory that's my impression. I think they're more for the player than an audience beyond people standing right around you, I agree, you will probably need some extra gear. The FP-90 is pretty hefty too, because of that great piano action, I wouldn't want to port it around.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Doug M great tip on that casio, i did not know about it's existance, but it seems very interesting for the goal of playing outdoors, and affordable too.

(If im going to play outside it will be alone.)

I think all of you are probably right, internal speakers won't be enough. So the downside of that is i obviously would need an external speaker. But, the plus side of it is i have way more choices for a DP, as i don't need to pick the one with the loudest internal speakers anymore.

That casio sure looks interesting. Its small, lightweight, runs on batteries, so no need for an accupack, and it has promising reviews.

Smaller and lighter piano + no accupack, that should leave some room for an external speaker.

Time to find a store to check it out! smile

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I think the Roland KC-220 keyboard amp can be powered with batteries. Some keyboards that run on batteries:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/6-killer-keyboards-run-batteries/

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.
C
C
I just played for a silent film in a 225 seat theater with just the internal speakers of my Kawai ES8, and it was fine. There was a sound engineer in the audience who was standing by in case I needed more oomph, but he said it was fine, and was quite impressed with the bass end. I’d try the keyboard by itself first, and only buy an amp if you find it's needed.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Which silent film? I once saw two Buster Keaton films, The General and The Cameraman, with live organ accompaniment, it was a blast. The organist told us that back in the the day, organists improvised a score to the film using popular tunes of the day.

I really have to ask if you’ve actually tried carrying one of these keyboards around? I have a Yamaha P-515. I can move it by myself, but I wouldn’t want to have to carry it more than a few metres. They are extremely heavy and awkwardly-shaped objects to carry around.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
A
A
I've used ES8 a few times without external amplification. In my previous job, I was running choir rehearsals in big auditorium in the office and turning volume to 100% was too much. For the Christmas concert we had, I turned it up to max and it was more than enough (around 80 people listening). No cracking or artifacts were audible. I believe for street performances it will do the job. I see people playing on streets with cheap keyboards with not-so-good speakers and it's tolerable. Kawai beats it with its pretty powerful system. Maybe in big open space, without ceiling and walls, it won't be so great, but if you find a spot on some narrow street, I don't think you need to carry an amp (which, btw, if you choose some cheap one, will probably sound shitty).

Additionaly, Kawai looks so much better, classy, than 'plastic all-around' FP-90 or P-515.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
O
O
Originally Posted by puremusic
Honestly, I don't think the FP-90's speakers will be loud enough, I can't listen and test, but from my memory that's my impression. I think they're more for the player than an audience beyond people standing right around you, I agree, you will probably need some extra gear. The FP-90 is pretty hefty too, because of that great piano action, I wouldn't want to port it around.

Having received an LX-705 (similar power output) to replace my FP-90), I can confirm that the LX-705 is much louder, so claimed power outputs are only part of the story. The efficiency of that power output can only be appreciated in vivo I guess.

(I'd also argue that the FP-90 speakers aren't great for the player's pleasure - they sound much better to me when I'm stood back from the instrument because the modelled resonances become less intrusive and the bass response becomes more prominent, hence the new purchase).

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 06/21/19 12:02 PM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Shitty? There's that profanity editor loophole exploitation again...bandwagon rolling! All aboard! grin

A
A
Oh my, I didn't know it's a forbidden word. Maybe smart PW editor detects intentions of the writer :P

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
How to Play Blues Piano
by BB666 - 04/23/21 03:02 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,486
Posts3,085,687
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission