2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 13 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dtrvno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi, today I tested Kawai pianos
Here is my notes
1 nv10
Lot of expectations but piano really disappointed. First of all sound is great, but touch itself is questionable. Problem when you touch it is kick you back strongly, and you fill kind of dribbling in fingers. It is very stressful. I could not play scales on that. Second problem with touch - it is not deep enough, I had two pianos and feel nv10 much shorter touch then other pianos.

2 ca98

Sound is great, touch is excellent. Only problem is black keys have different material then usual acoustic piano. It is not critical problem.

So, based on my analysis I will stay with CA98.

Any other opinions about nv10 touch?

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I didn't have any problem with touch on NV10, felt good. That said I didn't play too long. What I had problem with was boxy sound which I don't have on CA98. Might be some hidden setting though so I will hold with final judgement of that. Soundboard is amazing and in my opinion all top tier digital pianos should have one.
On CA98 black keys are different- yes but there are acoustic grands with something similar. Also it actually benefits playing a bit because there is slightly smaller chance your finger will slip from black key.
NV10 certainly has better keys, on CA98 there is not enough felt on the keys so they are a bit noisy with side movements, NV10 doesn't have that problem.

Roland LX708
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

The dribbling in the fingers is coming from the let off due to the mechanic. All accoustics and hybrid digitals have that. Some more some less. The CA98 has it too but way more subtle.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What do you mean by "dribbling in the fingers"?

Last edited by johnstaf; 06/20/19 06:57 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dtrvno
Here is my notes
1 nv10
touch itself is questionable.
2 ca98
touch is excellent.

You lost me there...

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What level of pianist are you?
How often do you get to play good quality acoustic grand pianos?
What is your primary practice instrument?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
D
dtrvno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I can play Chopin op25 #2.
Is it enough for justification?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

Sounds like you found the right piano for you, and potentially saved a lot of money in the process!

BTW, there is no "standard" key texture for either white or black keys on an acoustic. For the blacks, some are smooth resin, some are wood, some are matte, even the key widths and spacing can differ noticeably, even within the same brand.

As to key dip, I think most pianos uniformly have ~10mm dip in the front, and in the back it widely differs due to the position of the pilot point, but larger grands have at least 5mm. I've not noticed anything odd about the key dip on my NV-10.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
M

That's actually pretty easy Etude...
And saying it by "I can play" means that this is the hardest pieces you ever played with lots of effort,, so on absolute scale you are somewhere like 3/10.

And if by a kickback you mean upforce which can easily lift your fingers up, that's something what is even desirable.

Ca98 is kind of of sluggish compared to properly regulated grand.

Last edited by MrKaramba; 06/20/19 12:42 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MrKaramba
And saying it by "I can play" means that this is the hardest pieces you ever played, so on absolute scale you are somewhere like 3/10

Your system of rating is flawed. Henle which is more trustworthy and known to have a hard grading system rates 25/2 as 7 "difficult" of their maximum of 9. The various exam systems rate it from the proficient level (grade 8) to diploma level. Rating it 3/10 is unsubstantiated and not well-founded.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
And saying it by "I can play" means that this is the hardest pieces you ever played, so on absolute scale you are somewhere like 3/10

Your system of rating is flawed. Henle which is more trustworthy and known to have a hard grading system rates 25/2 as 7 "difficult" of their maximum of 9. The various exam systems rate it from the proficient level (grade 8) to diploma level. Rating it 3/10 is unsubstantiated and not well-founded.

If 25/2 is 7/9 so where we should put 10/4 or 10/2 or 25/10 and11? They should be far out of the scale ..

Polonaise op 53 is usually rated at 7.5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
If 25/2 is 7/9 so where we should put 10/4 or 10/2 or 25/10 and11? They should be far out of the scale ..

Polonaise op 53 is usually rated at 7.5

10/2 - Henle 8 of 9 (also, RCM licentiate level)
10/4 - Henle 8 of 9 (also, RCM licentiate level)
25/10 - Henle 9 of 9 (also, RCM associate diploma level)
25/11 - Henle 9 of 9 (also, RCM licentiate level)
53 - Henle 8 of 9 (also, RCM associate diploma level)

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I believe the etude deserves to be a 7, while bearing in mind that 9 just means more difficult than 8, and has no upper limit, so it can range from the Waldstein Sonata to the Hammerklavier, Gaspard de la Nuit, or Islamey. That's where 25/11 lives.

Henle have recently changed some of their ratings. The Waldstein and Mephisto Waltz were previously 8, and now they're 9. Some of Henle's ratings are very strange. Beethoven's "Tempest" sonata is now listed as an 8, so someone in Henle thinks it's as difficult as op.81a or Ravel's Une barque sur l'océan. Maybe it's a typo.

D
dtrvno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Guys
I remind you, this post not about my piano skills -I know better that anyone my level of playing. And I want to improve.

This post about nv10 and CA98.
Again , nv10 kick me back into fingers and I do not like it.

Is anybody had the same problem?
Just try to play scales...

Also, nv10’s touch is not deep enough comparing with other pianos and grands located at dealer store.
Am I correct with this statement? Or it is just my opinion?

Thanks,
Dmitriy

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Guys
I remind you, this post not about my piano skills -I know better that anyone my level of playing. And I want to improve.

This post about nv10 and CA98.
Again , nv10 kick me back into fingers and I do not like it.

Is anybody had the same problem?
Just try to play scales...

Also, nv10’s touch is not deep enough comparing with other pianos and grands located at dealer store.

Thanks,
Dmitriy

Dmitriy, have you tried a real acoustical grand? Did it not kick back into your fingers? I don't think the NV10 would do anything that a real Kawai acoustical piano would not.

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
NV10 is a real grand piano action. And a great one at that. That’s how real pianos feel. Although I don’t know what you mean by “kicking back your fingers”. But if you prefer the CA98 then there’s nothing wrong. Quite on the contrary, you seem to prefer the cheaper piano, nothing better than that smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
NV10 is a real grand piano action. And a great one at that. That’s how real pianos feel. Although I don’t know what you mean by “kicking back your fingers”. But if you prefer the CA98 then there’s nothing wrong. Quite on the contrary, you seem to prefer the cheaper piano, nothing better than that smile

And to add to your thought, even if a real acoustical piano does the same thing as the NV10 w/ respect to kicking, this doesn't mean Dmitriy has to like or accept it. As long as Dmitriy is not training himself to play acoustical pianos, he can get whatever piano pleases him the most, even if that piano is actually not like an acoustical piano. The caveat here is that I expect the further a piano is from being similar to an acoustical piano, in behavior, the harder it will be, possibly, to learn/play classical repertoire, and the greater the probability of injuring (hands, fingers, wrists, etc.).

[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

It's possible, as there isn't really a standard depth. It's usually around 10mm, but can be more. Another thing is the height of the black keys. Black keys that are less than 12mm above the white keys can make the piano feel shallow. Very shallow aftertouch (once you get past the "bump" in the key travel) can also make an action feel shallow.

Like going from heavy to light, it's easier to go from deep to shallow than the other way around.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I agree with CyberGene and Tyrone. Your preference is all that matters.

L
L
Here is my notes
1 nv10
Lot of expectations but piano really disappointed. First of all sound is great, but touch itself is questionable. Problem when you touch it is kick you back strongly, and you fill kind of dribbling in fingers. It is very stressful. I could not play scales on that. Second problem with touch - it is not deep enough, I had two pianos and feel nv10 much shorter touch then other pianos.

2 ca98

Sound is great, touch is excellent. Only problem is black keys have different material then usual acoustic piano. It is not critical problem.

I agree with your assessment of the NV10 action feel. I've spent some time with it at two different NAMM shows, and I'm rather disappointed as well. The action wasn't smooth at all. I counted six different points of friction in the key as I pressed the key down--it went through six 'bumps' or rough spots during the travel. The keys had more wiggle than an acoustic grand action, the aftertouch was spongy, and the whole thing felt rather 'plasticky' and not like a good quality acoustic grand action. And I agree, it seemed a bit shallow too. I too felt the 'kickback' the OP noticed, like the key doesn't want to stay down and the flyback inertia of the hammer is pressing the key back up against your finger.

Of course the only other comparison really is from Yamaha, and those are rather buttery smooth compared to the Kawai (though still not as smooth as a real acoustic grand action). Also, the NV10 damper pedal was ridiculously heavy. While not as mechanically complex with its complexity translating to the feel, the MP11 and VPC1 feel much better, smoother, less plasticky. I see a lot of love for the NV10 on this forum, but my experiences with it at NAMM were lackluster to say the least. Anyone else notice these qualities?

Lance @ VI Labs
www.vilabsaudio.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission