Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Brahms4, ando, AZNpiano, BeeZee4, cfrederi, Charles Cohen, 15 invisible), 1,114 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? #2860720
06/20/19 05:22 AM
06/20/19 05:22 AM
P
PianoWVBob Online content OP
PianoWVBob  Online Content OP
P

I'm planning on driving to Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas to find a piano store or two that has reconditioned uprights that I can test out.

It's surprisingly hard to get any information online about what these places have to offer and at what prices. They always say "come into to see our inventory!" and "Call for prices!"

I don't want to drive 2 hours only to find that all that they have is one dusty out of tune upright that nobody would want or to find that everything that they have is out of my price range.

I've been looking at two stores so far, if you have any suggestions please comment with them.

1.) Modern Piano in Wexford PA. This is the closest place but not much info here.
https://www.mymodernpiano.com/

And

2.) Trombino Piano. Their website doesn't even work. No information.

or

3.) Valley Piano. Again...no online information available.
http://valleypiano.net/

I also saw this guy; Rick Jones and his website was MUCH more transparent about what they have and their prices for used are what I'm willing to pay.

What do you think of the uprights this guy has for $3000.00 or less?

https://rickjonespianos.com/

Has anyone been to these stores and can say that any of them or some other one nearby are worth driving two hours to check out uprights at $3,500 or less?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: PianoWVBob] #2860754
06/20/19 07:46 AM
06/20/19 07:46 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Where are you driving from?

Unfortunately, Trombino's is closed. I know Modern Piano and they are very nice people. I would call them and ask what they have. I have not heard of Valley Piano, but it appears that they more or less specialize in used pianos, at least from their website.

I am on the other side of the state. My nearest location to you is King of Prussia. We always have a nice selection of reconditioned upright pianos but we may be a 4 hour drive for you, depending on where you are in PA.

I also know Rick Jones. He is a nice guy and I like him personally. His specialty is importing already used pianos from Asia and reselling them here. This has become increasingly expensive to do and the result is that he is selling 45 year old Yamaha U1 pianos in all original condition for the same price as some decent new pianos - or very nice used pianos.

I wish you good luck in your search. You have a great resource here at PW.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: Rich Galassini] #2860758
06/20/19 07:54 AM
06/20/19 07:54 AM
P
P

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Where are you driving from?

North Central West Virginia; about 1 hour and 40 minutes to Pittsburgh. I'm 40 minutes below Morgantown WV.

Unfortunately, Trombino's is closed. I know Modern Piano and they are very nice people. I would call them and ask what they have.

Thanks, I'll do that.

I have not heard of Valley Piano, but it appears that they more or less specialize in used pianos, at least from their website.

Ok..I'll keep them on the list and give them a call.

I am on the other side of the state. My nearest location to you is King of Prussia. We always have a nice selection of reconditioned upright pianos but we may be a 4 hour drive for you, depending on where you are in PA.

It's actually 5 + hours but for me, it would be worth if there were a really good selection of uprights in my price range. (less than $3,500 and hopefully 1000 less smile )

I also know Rick Jones. He is a nice guy and I like him personally. His specialty is importing already used pianos from Asia and reselling them here. This has become increasingly expensive to do and the result is that he is selling 45 year old Yamaha U1 pianos in all original condition for the same price as some decent new pianos - or very nice used pianos.

He's 4.5 hours away from me, does your comment mean I should pass him by?

I wish you good luck in your search. You have a great resource here at PW.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the help I get here.

Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: PianoWVBob] #2860825
06/20/19 11:06 AM
06/20/19 11:06 AM
P
P

Just to add one data point, I called Modern Piano in Wexford PA and asked them about their inventory and what they do for the price.

He could only quote me a few console pianos, and he said all that they do is clean them up to sell, no rebuilding of any sort.

That seems in line with the others sellers in my other thread who do the same thing...for $3000 or less, I'm not getting any upright that's had any in depth work done to it, just evaluated, cleaned and lubed...

Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: PianoWVBob] #2860856
06/20/19 12:49 PM
06/20/19 12:49 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
I think there a lot of decent used pianos that don't need to be refurbished, so I don't think you need to worry about that so much. Basically, you just need to evaluate the piano in front of you, that you can see and touch and play (as opposed to something like "upright, 30 y/o piano..." type of abstract information)

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: PianoWVBob] #2860985
06/20/19 05:14 PM
06/20/19 05:14 PM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Bob - what sort of rebuilding are you expecting for modestly priced uprights? Complete rebuilding and restoration is a very time consuming, labor intensive, expensive process and typically only done for the most expensive pianos.
For most consumer grade pianos, replacement of some strings, or some hammers or other less extensive repairs are usually done. A complete rebuild would cost as much or more than a new modestly priced upright.

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: j&j] #2861004
06/20/19 05:57 PM
06/20/19 05:57 PM
P
P

Originally Posted by j&j
Bob - what sort of rebuilding are you expecting for modestly priced uprights? Complete rebuilding and restoration is a very time consuming, labor intensive, expensive process and typically only done for the most expensive pianos.
For most consumer grade pianos, replacement of some strings, or some hammers or other less extensive repairs are usually done. A complete rebuild would cost as much or more than a new modestly priced upright.

When I said "rebuild" that's what I meant...what you mentioned.

Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2861005
06/20/19 05:59 PM
06/20/19 05:59 PM
P
P

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I think there a lot of decent used pianos that don't need to be refurbished, so I don't think you need to worry about that so much. Basically, you just need to evaluate the piano in front of you, that you can see and touch and play (as opposed to something like "upright, 30 y/o piano..." type of abstract information)

Yes, true.

I'm an engineer so I sort of hash things out 100 times before I ever step foot in front of whatever I'm going to work on smile

I can't help it. I try and foresee every problem before it happens and then I take a shot. I'm not the sort though, to spend months shopping for pianos...I'll hopefully walk away with a sale after the weekend of shop visits.

Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: PianoWVBob] #2861034
06/20/19 07:55 PM
06/20/19 07:55 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Tom Bayus at Valley Piano is a really good guy, I would recommend his shop.

Lisa

Currently working on Bach 2 part inventions, Chopin mazurkas, and some Keith Snell Level 5 stuffs, lol. smile
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: PianoWVBob] #2861041
06/20/19 08:19 PM
06/20/19 08:19 PM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Hi Bob - One of the tricks to successful negotiation is being able to walk out with no deal. Use your best poker face and play pianos, lots of pianos, and take your time. There’s always next weekend or the weekend after that.
All the best!

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: PianoWVBob] #2861072
06/20/19 11:21 PM
06/20/19 11:21 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
I often wonder what the word "reconditioned" means.
People who sell used pianos from Japan often say
"refurbished" ?
My bad experience with grey market pianos caused me to look up the" factory "in Osaka".Not much to see except pictures of people painting pianos.
I returned the piano and was refunded thank heavens.
So refurbished to me seems like a" paint job"
Perhaps that YU10 was dropped in a pond ?Quite glamorous looking though !
I know some people do however end up with a successful grey market piano so I do not want to
scare anyone.Perhaps you need to take a piano technician with you on your journey ? Best wishes
on finding the right piano.There is one out there !

Re: Has anyone been to any large piano stores in western PA? [Re: ebonykawai] #2861099
06/21/19 01:39 AM
06/21/19 01:39 AM
P
P

Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Tom Bayus at Valley Piano is a really good guy, I would recommend his shop.

Thank you...I was wondering about that. I'll put them on the list too.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP-695gp or N1X hybrid piano?
by James Padgett. 07/20/19 11:33 PM
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,099
Posts2,850,245
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission