2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by javierstucke
Queen Elisabeth is pretty wild. Not as much music as Cliburn, but a real pain in the neck:
Round 1 - 25 minutes including a classical sonata and 4 Etudes (Chopin, Liszt, 1 early 20th century, 1 late 20th century)
Semis: Two 30-35min free choice programs (the jury chooses one!), then a commissioned work and a Mozart concerto
Finals: 10min commissioned concerto + free choice concerto

Not to mention that the commissioned work is given to the finalists only AFTER the semis are over. Meaning that they have about ten days to get it ready for performance. It's a fascinating idea, and I wonder why more competitions aren't trying something similar. This sort of time limitation shows what a pianist can and cannot manage out in the real world, where it's not unheard of to learn pieces in short time. A note on Queen Elizabeth in that regard: in the last one, Alberto Ferro MEMORIZED the commissioned concerto piece.

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
I noticed that this is a male dominant piano competition, both the jury and the competitors.

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Ovnchinnikov shaking his head after Gadjiev's Tchaikovsky variations.

T
T
Here are the piano scores 😅
12 Steinway
8 Yamaha
2 fazioli
2 yangxi river
1 shigeru

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tinyking12345
Here are the piano scores 😅
12 Steinway
8 Yamaha
2 fazioli
2 yangxi river
1 shigeru

Interesting...

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki
I noticed that this is a male dominant piano competition, both the jury and the competitors.
In the competition only 2 out of 25 are female. I don't know what's typical for this competition or other competitions but my guess is few are as one sided as this year's Tchaikovsky.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Heard the last part of Alexandre Kantorow, which was played well on a Shigeru Kawai.

I don't know much about him, how was the rest of the program?

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Steinway is hosting the Medici live cast on their site (and it seems to work better from there).

https://www.steinway.com/news/featu...iMbaHnqLK_PqPHc-q1o5SrR6gGWC7UqWzib6rQFc

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Mighty fine Mozart from Mao Fujita (Sonata in C Major, K. 330)!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
I like Fujita's music!

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Little activity here today. Any particular performances today that stood out? The little I heard of Kantorow was very interesting. Curious to hear more of him. Heard most of Gugnin's round which kept my attention until Liszt - clear and distinct voicing in Bach, and great control in Beethoven. The leggerio left hand and little pedal in the normally pedal-drenched opening theme of the rondo theme was a tad unusual but interesting. In Liszt he had a small but noticeable memory slip and things didn't go as well for the rest of that Etude, and on top of that, he cheats in a difficult octave passage towards the end. Nevertheless, excellent pianism as expected otherwise. The Liszt was one of few obviously virtuosic pieces in that program (the other Etudes weren't), so let's see what the jury ruling will be.

There is an active discussion going on over on the Pinano Discord server on this competition. I loved Fujita's Mozart albeit his animated facial expressions reminded me of Lang Lang-. The standing ovation was well deserved.

Last edited by AssociateX; 06/19/19 05:02 PM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
K
K
Gugnin's Liszt was disappointing but I really liked his op25#1 even though I agree it is a technically easy piece he played it quite beautifully.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Some highlights today based on what I had time to watch:

Gugnin - excellent and thoughtful. I agree with Martin about the pedaling in the Beethoven (could have used more) and the issues with Liszt, too. It wasn't a gigantic memory lapse, he just repeated a passage and got right back on. On the other hand, I thought his Dumka was the best of those offered so far. I hope he passes because of his great musicianship, but others did play more consistently than he did.

Tarasevich-Nikolaev - solid from start to finish, and it was nice to hear some Mozart for a change (even if he looked a little dour while playing it). The etudes were all excellent.

Yashkin - finally an Appassionata that delivered! No slowing down in hard passages, lots of intensity, no faking.

Kopachevsky - solid, but it didn't really thrill me. The Haydn was nice, though.

Mao Fujita - awesome! He nailed the hardest Book I P/F and had s great spirit about everything else in his playing. A very nice breath of fresh air.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Another note - it's nice to see Ovchinnikov enjoying himself as he listens to the contestants. Heartwarming in this supremely stressful environment.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Dumka, agreed, very well thought out. Getting *slightly* tired of hearing the da-da-DA-DA-DA section by now, but hey, this is the Tchaikovsky competition and we've all signed up on hearing heaps of Dumka's in the first round. Btw, Shishkin's Tchai choice seemed rather refreshing to my ears!

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Do the rules stipulate starting with Bach + Classical sonata? Haven't listened to everyone but that seems to be what everyone is doing? And the Etudes seem to be more or less in the same order, right? (Chopin-Liszt-Rach) As I said, haven't heard everyone but that seems to be the pattern. They've decided to be rigid all the way, it seems. I do understand that there are merits to this approach, just pointing it out, and...it's generally difficult to make an artistically interesting whole out of this. But that's the normal story with first rounds. Many pianists dread them, me included.

K
K
Just listened to Fujita and was quite impressed. His Bach crisp, rhythmic and clean and Mozart beautifully phrased and played. He is clearly a major contender here.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by fnork
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Dumka, agreed, very well thought out. Getting *slightly* tired of hearing the da-da-DA-DA-DA section by now, but hey, this is the Tchaikovsky competition and we've all signed up on hearing heaps of Dumka's in the first round. Btw, Shishkin's Tchai choice seemed rather refreshing to my ears!

I absolutely hate the Dumka probably as much as I hate Islamey but enjoyed his performance. You also would think that the audience would know when to clap at the end by now!

Looking forward to tomorrow for Kenny Broberg and Malofeev. The solid ones for me now are Yemelvanov, Shishkin, Fujita, Tarasevich-Nikolayev, Mun, and Yashkin.

T
T
Pinano Discord admin here. Sorry to everybody who tried to join earlier today and got interrogated by our rather zealous automated security guard. (In truth, we had a banned user create an absurd number of alt accounts a few months ago which tried the patience of all the moderation staff and we haven't turned off the alt-ID bot since.) We're having some lively discussion during the performances, hope you can join and I promise the bot won't bite again. smile

My thoughts so far: Yemelvanov, Shishkin and Fujita have sounded the most convincing so far - especially Shishkin, for me.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission