2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Hello all,

I’ve recently acquired a beautiful Baldwin grand piano that I absolutely love. I’ve been trying to find some information about everything- but there are still some questions that concern me. I don’t know if anyone can help me figure it out, but any help is appreciated.

1.) The Piano is stamped on the bottom “G” and “60060”
Should this mean that this piano is a Model G made in 1928, as all the serial number lookups suggest? There is no serial number on the top of the plate, only on the bottom of the piano.

2.) The piano is around 5’7” (maybe 5’8”)

3.) The tail end of the plate is stamped with a “G” and an “N” on it. Not really sure about the N?

The piano technician said he can’t understand how it is a Model G, because it is almost identical to a Model R. I think it is a gorgeous piano that sounds phenomenal and is just an incredibly beautiful piece and I am very happy with it. I just wanted to see if I can get a little more information on the Model and what not. If anyone has any idea about this information, I would be very grateful.

As soon as I figure out how to upload some pictures on here, I will. (Sorry) It has a walnut finish.

-Tom

Last edited by GrandMaster66; 06/18/19 06:55 PM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
I believe the model G was a predecessor to the R. Wire sizes listed for it in an old Baldwin service manual are identical to the R (prior to acu-just hitch pins), but I believe the G's length was not always the same, whereas the R has always been 5'8".

Edit to add: maybe I should say that I've seen the G referenced with different lengths (5'6" & 5'8"). My service manual doesn't list a size for the G, which is unusual in that it lists a length for every other model but the E. FWIW, the models are ordered from shortest to longest, and the G is between the M and R, and the E is between the R and L. Unfortunately, it does not list the years of production for the various models.

Last edited by Retsacnal; 06/18/19 07:13 PM.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I believe the model G was a predecessor to the R. Wire sizes listed for it in an old Baldwin service manual are identical to the R (prior to acu-just hitch pins), but I believe the G's length was not always the same, whereas the R has always been 5'8".

Thank you, I agree that the G was most likely the predecessor of the R. It’s definitely an old one, especially if it dates back to 1928. I just want to find out some more info, or anything for that matter, on this model.

G
OP Offline
G
Alright, I think I finally figured out how to upload pictures. Check these out.

Serial
Piano 1
Piano 2
Piano 3
Piano 4

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Looks very nice in the pictures, to be from 1928. smile

If it plays and sounds as good as it looks, you did good!

Welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Rickster
Looks very nice in the pictures, to be from 1928. smile

If it plays and sounds as good as it looks, you did good!

Welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Rick, thanks a lot! It certainly didn’t look like that when I got it. There is a ton of work in that to make it look the way it currently does. It sounds fantastic! So thanks so much!

A
A
Hey GrandMaster66 - I know this is an old thread but I've also got a Model G Baldwin. Looks like your case and plate were refinished as mine are original and have some markings yours does not. Let me know if you are interested and I'm happy to share more photos!

Thanks,
A-Piano
G
OP Offline
G
Hello A-Piano, my plate was never refinished to my knowledge. I added the black writing on the inside to make the letters of the casting more noticeable, and the case I just basically cleaned & stained because of the cracking/flaking in the finish. The plate I have never really told me much, I had to go off of the stamp underneath the soundboard to figure it out. I got this piano from someone who did not take care of it, and never put any work into it. A little tuning and resurfacing of the key action and it was sounding good as new. What markings does your have that mine doesn’t?

D
D
Thanks for sharing the Pics! It does resemble the R. Have you measured it? It looks very nice for the age. The pins and area around them especially look clean. That is usually the worst place for dirt and dust to be even if everything else is taken care of. Even the case looks very good!
Good Find.

David Glenn
Piano tuner/ pianist
1970 Baldwin R Grand
1952 Baldwin M Baby Grand
1922 fully restored Estey 6' Grand
1910 restored Estey Upright
Yamaha PSR-750

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission