Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (cfrederi, Charles Cohen, AZNpiano, AnnInMiami, Chernobieff Piano, Anticlock, Animisha, BeeZee4, 15 invisible), 1,143 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How long for a new piano to acclimate? #2860201
06/18/19 08:28 PM
06/18/19 08:28 PM
Richmond
B
bstogdale Offline OP
bstogdale  Offline OP
B

Richmond
I had my new (to me - it’s a 2000 model) Schimmel grand delivered a week ago. I’ve noticed that it continues to move out of tune and some notes have started to sound wavy or ringing. It’s hard to describe in words. Anyway, I really feel that this is the piano adjusting to the new environment and going out of tune. I’m very impatient to have my technician tune and adjust it as needed and see what it can do! But I know I need to give it time to settle in and that it will continue to change for a while.

How long should I wait to get it tuned? And is this normal when bringing a piano into a new environment?

I have a Dampp Chaser system on it so once it stabilizes in my home I feel like it should be pretty stable as the seasons change (with normal tunings and maintenance). It’s interesting how much it is changing over the week since it arrived. I guess a new home really is a big change for a piano.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860208
06/18/19 08:42 PM
06/18/19 08:42 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Congratulations on the new-to-you Schimmel!

Personally, I don't think it takes that long for a new piano to acclimatize to its new environment. Days and not weeks, in my opinion. But some would disagree, I'm sure. Two to three weeks might be a good guess on what some may recommend. But like I said, and as you have witnessed, changes in the tuning can happen rather quickly.

Two weeks should be plenty, but if the selling dealer is doing a free tuning, they may suggest longer.

Of course, I'm no authority on the subject.

Enjoy your piano!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860219
06/18/19 09:08 PM
06/18/19 09:08 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Would the acclimation period not depend, to some degree, on "environment from" to "environment to"?

If there were little difference between the two, then the acclimation period would be relatively short. If there were considerable differences in going from very dry to humid (or vice versa) environments, might not it take longer for the transported piano to settle?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860227
06/18/19 09:24 PM
06/18/19 09:24 PM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
The dealer told me to wait 3 weeks when I bought mine, and they're only 4 miles down the road. It seems like the mechanical loading on the piano would take some time to equalize. It stands on edge and bounces around in a truck, then it gets rotated 90 degrees in your house. It was very humid outside when mine was delivered and it probably spent the better part of the day on the truck, not sure how fast that kind of change in humidity can affect things. You could just go ahead and have it tuned, worst case is it goes out of tune and you have to do it again in a few weeks or months.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860234
06/18/19 10:01 PM
06/18/19 10:01 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I'd suggest waiting a couple more weeks, if you can stand it.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860236
06/18/19 10:23 PM
06/18/19 10:23 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
Wool felt takes on humidity very quickly, wood somewhat less. Wool felt gives up humidity slower than it takes it on, but wood gives up humidity slower than felt and much slower than it takes humidity in.

So if the new environment is more humid than the old, you don't need to wait more than a couple of weeks. If the new environment is drier than the old, you need to give it some time to adjust.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860241
06/18/19 10:43 PM
06/18/19 10:43 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
I had my Sauter upright tuned about a month after it
arrived in my home.It was from a store which was local.
I also suggest a month for you to wait to be sure.
My piano has a hygrometer in the piano and I did notice a rise of a few degrees in the humidity it read compaired to when it was in the store which was air conditioned.Every home has perhaps a different micro-climate.
Fortunately the piano holds its tuning very well.
I now have a humidifier which keeps the range more
constant.Even with a Damp Chaser I would wait.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 06/18/19 10:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860253
06/19/19 12:03 AM
06/19/19 12:03 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Online content
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
My Schimmel (C182) moved very quickly once it arrived home, noticeable within a few days. It came from A/C showroom, to a moderately-humid climate. I was advised to leave it for a month to 6 weeks. The technician came about 2 weeks after delivery - to install the DampChaser, and adjusted a few notes which were very pronounced that day, and came 2 or 3 weeks after that to do (supposedly) a full tune, regulation, voicing. It was quickly again not satisfactory, and the dealer sent him quite a few times more over the next 9 months.

I ended up employing my own technician who did a magnificent job - and he now works on my Grotrian.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860379
06/19/19 10:27 AM
06/19/19 10:27 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Hey, don't wait. Why should you endure playing an out of tune instrument?

As soon as it starting to become objectionable get it tuned (you'll probably have to wait a week or two for the tuning anyway). Then get it tuned again whenever it needs it irrespective of how frequent that is.

Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860425
06/19/19 12:04 PM
06/19/19 12:04 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by gwing

As soon as it starting to become objectionable get it tuned (you'll probably have to wait a week or two for the tuning anyway). Then get it tuned again whenever it needs it irrespective of how frequent that is.

+1 thumb

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: Rickster] #2860457
06/19/19 01:30 PM
06/19/19 01:30 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Rickster

+1 thumb

+2

Last edited by BruceD; 06/19/19 01:32 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: BruceD] #2860520
06/19/19 04:14 PM
06/19/19 04:14 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by BruceD

+1 thumb

+2

+3

[Linked Image]
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860534
06/19/19 04:45 PM
06/19/19 04:45 PM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Since it’s a 2000 model, it should settle in more quickly than a brand new piano. If it’s bad enough to drive you crazy, get it tuned. +4. At worst you use your first free tuning sooner. Additional tunings are expected after moving pianos. It’s really worth it for your new-to-you Schimmel. Congratulations 🍾🎈 🎊

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860546
06/19/19 05:02 PM
06/19/19 05:02 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Yes,yes I agree too!
Congratulations on a wonderful piano!

Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: gwing] #2860620
06/19/19 08:45 PM
06/19/19 08:45 PM
Queensland, Australia
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia

Because - it might cost more if it hasn't settled. If you get it done the day you receive it, the regulation (can be quite a few hundred dollars) and the tuning could well need doing again the next month.

Better to leave it a few weeks till it's stable. But play it in the meantime - that way you'll be able to point out any particular voicing or regulation issues.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860624
06/19/19 09:01 PM
06/19/19 09:01 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Because - it might cost more if it hasn't settled. If you get it done the day you receive it, the regulation (can be quite a few hundred dollars) and the tuning could well need doing again the next month.

Better to leave it a few weeks till it's stable. But play it in the meantime - that way you'll be able to point out any particular voicing or regulation issues.

I would think with the Damp-Chaser system installed and working properly, it shouldn't take nearly as long to acclimatize to the new location. If the Damp-Chaser was installed and working correctly prior to moving to the new location, there shouldn't be a huge swing/change in humidity.

Hopefully, bstogdale can get his new-to-him Schimmel tuned sooner rather than later.

Rick

Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: Rickster] #2860631
06/19/19 09:29 PM
06/19/19 09:29 PM
Queensland, Australia
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia

I would think with the Damp-Chaser system installed and working properly, it shouldn't take nearly as long to acclimatize to the new location. If the Damp-Chaser was installed and working correctly prior to moving to the new location, there shouldn't be a huge swing/change in humidity.

Hopefully, bstogdale can get his new-to-him Schimmel tuned sooner rather than later.

Rick

It could be different for a 20 year old piano.

I'm just going on the advice I had with the 3 new pianos I bought (and one I almost bought.

KAWAI recommended "... a piano can take up to 2 months to settle"

My new Schimmel with the Damp-Chaser - tech came soon after delivery to install the D/C and advised me to wait 3 or 4 weeks before he came to set the piano up.

That Schimmel had been in an air-conditioned showroom. The YAMAHA UX was in a crate, sealed in a plastic/foil wrapping inside the crate direct from YAMAHA. The Grotrian flew from Braunschweig - I'm unsure of the wrapping, (though I was told that it was carried horizontally, not vertically).

Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860664
06/20/19 12:18 AM
06/20/19 12:18 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA

Well, if Kawai recommends up to 2 months (8 weeks) for a new piano to become stable, I suppose they know what's best. But that sure seems like a long time to me to pay that much money for an up-scale acoustic piano and have to play it out of tune for the first two months. I'd be very disappointed and want a refund within a few weeks, or have the tuner making weekly visits at the manufacturer/dealer's expense.

I guess I'm just impatient. smile

Rick

Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: Rickster] #2860816
06/20/19 10:39 AM
06/20/19 10:39 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest

Well, if Kawai recommends up to 2 months (8 weeks) for a new piano to become stable, I suppose they know what's best. But that sure seems like a long time to me to pay that much money for an up-scale acoustic piano and have to play it out of tune for the first two months. I'd be very disappointed and want a refund within a few weeks, or have the tuner making weekly visits at the manufacturer/dealer's expense.

I guess I'm just impatient. smile

Rick

The new Yamaha C3 I bought from the dealer had been sitting on the showroom floor for several months. The dealer did great prep work on all the new pianos and used pianos I tried. It was tuned again as soon as I plopped down my cash and it was delivered the next day because they were making room for a show. My piano arrived and was very stable from the beginning. I was able to wait two months for my reduced price tuning. But even if it wasn’t as stable, I’d be willing to pay my piano tech to make it play and sound just as wonderful as that C3 was capable.
To me, it like buying a luxury vehicle but then b!tching about gas prices. Or buying a show dog then crying over the price the groomer charges.

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: How long for a new piano to acclimate? [Re: bstogdale] #2860842
06/20/19 12:16 PM
06/20/19 12:16 PM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
I'm going to nitpick a bit :-)

"KAWAI recommended "... a piano can take up to 2 months to settle"" . That isn't a recommendation, that is a comment. Do they actually make a recommendation on when it should be tuned?

Also, even if we believe it does take 'up to 2 months' to settle that doesn't mean it will actually take 2 months, just a maximum of two months. So it might settle after a week. or a month, or actually never if you have a bad and highly varying environment.

You can however expect it to become more stable with time so each time you get it tuned it will likely last longer until it needs another tuning. But whatever the interval is actually doesn't matter, it is simple, once it is sufficiently out of tune to take away your enjoyment from playing the piano that is the time to get it tuned. Otherwise, why do you have a piano and why are you playing it?

Last edited by gwing; 06/20/19 12:16 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP-695gp or N1X hybrid piano?
by James Padgett. 07/20/19 11:33 PM
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,099
Posts2,850,239
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission