2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Have you taught or played any piano music by Clara Schumann that would be appropriate for intermediate students? My daughter would like to play some music by her, but she's only recently finished with a beginning method series, and the few pieces of C. Schumann's for which I've seen a score are too far out of her reach at this point.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Perhaps tell your daughter more about Clara but also mention that her husband's music was much better than her's. Clara edited Robert's music and was a great proponent of his music. Her concertizing is what sets her apart, not her compositions. Also, she had a very supportive oldest daughter who traveled with her and helped her prepare for concerts. All of these contributions are also wonderful. You could mention how much gusto her daughter Eugenie had in travelling to England and teaching piano there.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Andamento
My daughter would like to play some music by her, but she's only recently finished with a beginning method series, and the few pieces of C. Schumann's for which I've seen a score are too far out of her reach at this point.

This is about the easiest I've heard, and it isn't easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdxYpRMlRE

Or she could have a look at Clara's (very straightforward) transcriptions of her husband's songs, one or two of which might be within her reach (though not the most famous one, Widmung, even though shorn of Liszt's pyrotechnical stuff):

http://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/...Nos1-2-3-7-24-transcr-Clara-Schumann.pdf

If she wants to play easier music by female composers, I suggest looking at Louise Farrenc's piano music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofL4hTaPWcw

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Thanks, Candywoman. These are great tips.

My daughter recently played Robert's "The Poet Speaks," from Kinderscenen, and it was her favorite of the three competition pieces she studied. Great music, and she'll be doing more from that collection, as well as from Album for the Young.

I'll share with her what you wrote above. It will be right up her alley, as she's begun work (at 11 years of age) on a historical fiction novel set during the time Robert and Clara lived. I think they make an appearance in her book. smile This will be good to add to whatever research material she's already found. smile

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Thanks for the links, Bennevis. I'll give those a listen later on today.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'd suggest having your daughter dress up, curl her hair in ringlets around her face and pretend that she IS Clara Schumann playing her husband's pieces.

Learner
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
My son is early intermediate...

He's never played Clara Schumann but he has played the following by Robert Schumann:

* Wild Horseman
*First Sorrow

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 06/18/19 05:13 PM.

Yamaha G2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If she doesn't like ringlets, she could pretend to be Katherine Hepburn pretending to be Clara Schumann.
wink

Learner
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis
My daughter would like to play some music by her, but she's only recently finished with a beginning method series, and the few pieces of C. Schumann's for which I've seen a score are too far out of her reach at this point.

Or she could have a look at Clara's (very straightforward) transcriptions of her husband's songs, one or two of which might be within her reach (though not the most famous one, Widmung, even though shorn of Liszt's pyrotechnical stuff):

If she wants to play easier music by female composers, I suggest looking at Louise Farrenc's piano music:

The Farrenc piece is lovely, and sounds fairly accessible. I'll have to look into more music by her. My daughter certainly would be interested in playing music by other women composers besides Clara Schumann. She's especially interested in that historical period, but there weren't as many women composers then as in the 20th and 21st centuries.

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by malkin
I'd suggest having your daughter dress up, curl her hair in ringlets around her face and pretend that she IS Clara Schumann playing her husband's pieces.

THIS! Yes -- completely her. smile

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
My son is early intermediate...

He's never played Clara Schumann but he has played the following by Robert Schumann:

* Wild Horseman
*First Sorrow

I love teaching those pieces, and I'm sure my daughter would enjoy playing them. Especially since my Album for the Young copy is semi-falling apart. She loves to play out of my old, old books that I studied from as a child. She doesn't want her own new books. The well-worn (and -loved) look is just her thing!

A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
If she doesn't like ringlets, she could pretend to be Katherine Hepburn pretending to be Clara Schumann.
wink

LOL!

Just be careful if any of the neighborhood boys start coming around dressed as Brahms...

Austin Rogers, PhD, ARSM
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers

Just be careful if any of the neighborhood boys start coming around dressed as Brahms...

Oh my... wink

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by bennevis

The Farrenc piece is lovely, and sounds fairly accessible. I'll have to look into more music by her. My daughter certainly would be interested in playing music by other women composers besides Clara Schumann. She's especially interested in that historical period, but there weren't as many women composers then as in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Try Fanny Mendelssohn (sister of Felix) and Elisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre (baroque harpsichord composer).

Also Cecile Chaminade. Her works can be difficult, but I think some are intermediate.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Thanks for these suggestions, Sweelinck. I'd not heard of Elisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre before. I'll look into her music!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I believe the first three of her suites, in Dm, Gm, and Am are the most accessible for an intermediate player. I think the 4th in F major may be a bit more difficult, but I’m not sure. These were composed for amateur players to play for family and friends. Here is some info regarding Suite #3 in Am:

https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Jacquet-De-La-Guerres-Suite-No-3-F3K3TDEJ8MRS

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission