2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I just purchased a new Kawai CS11 digital piano and am experimenting with the various sounds of pianoteq. Pianoteq is great, but the ONLY way I can hear the sounds is to utilize an audio interface and play through external speakers. I am having difficulty getting the sounds to come back through my CS11 speakers. I have watched several youtube videos, but they all have the sound go through external speakers! I am sure it's probably operator error, but I need to make sure I don't need to call a Kawai technician! Please can someone walk me through the proper set up so I can play the various sounds directly through my piano? Thank you in advance!

Thanks,

Kelly

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
- Johann Sebastian Bach
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a Kawai CA67 - and it has similar capabilities in terms of interfaces to the CS11. I don't use Pianoteq, but I do use a program (Piano Marvel) that sends sound back through my piano speakers.

So using a USB B to USB A cable I connect the squarer USB B connection on the piano to the USB connection on my laptop. From the laptop earpiece socket to the Piano "Line In" socket I run a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo audio cable and adjust the little volume control next to the line in socket on the piano to balance sound (I only mention this because you need to ensure its not turned down to off - you are not balancing anything I have to - see below). The two cables you need are connected to a panel under the keyboard right at the back - at the bass end. The "line in" (for the audio cable) is the left most socket and the volume control is a little spindly knob next to it to the right. The usb socket is near the other end of the panel (there are two midi sockets on the far right of this panel - the usb midi out is to the left of these two).

Because you don't want the piano to sound when you press a key (you send a midi signal to the computer where pianoteq generates the sound) you need to turn "local control" off. You will find this by going to the menu keypad and pressing button 2 to get you to the main menu - chose Menu 4 (Midi Settings) and then item 3 (Local Control On/Off) and set Local Control to off. I would do this last because whilst you are testing the set up its best to be sure you are pressing a key

Hope that helps

[Linked Image]

J
J
Hi, congratulations on getting your CS11! I've had one for a year or so and love it! To be honest, ever since I got it I haven't felt much need to fire up Pianoteq, as I've found enough sounds I love already built into the CS11. But I have connected other audio from various sources so I can confirm it is easily done, and that AKC42 above is right. Basically you want one connection sending midi information from the CS11 to your laptop - this can either be done over USB or with a midi cable and midi interface. And then you want another connection sending audio from your laptop back to your CS11 speakers. This could probably be done over USB but the easiest way, as AKC42 says, is with a 3.5mm audio cable going from your computer's headphone socket to the "line in" socket of your piano.

I would also add that, once you've turned "local control" off in the settings as AKC42 describes (so you don't get the clash of two piano sounds being generated at the same time by both your CS11 and Pianoteq), it might be worth saving your settings in one of the registration slots at that point, so you can turn local control on and off more quickly in the future. That's what I did.

Good luck!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
totallyclassics, congrats on your new CS11!

The explanation offered by akc42 and jgmallard is spot-on. wink

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
I have a Kawai CS11 also and yes you can do it. You need to route your PC audio through the line in jack under the keybed on the left. Be warned though that the input audio quality is pretty garbage, well it is on mine anyway. Very high gain that picks up electrical noise from computer, touching connectors etc.

You will also need to disable the local keyboard audio under the MIDI menu so you don't have 2 piano's playing at once wink

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by aokman
I have a Kawai CS11 also and yes you can do it. You need to route your PC audio through the line in jack under the keybed on the left. Be warned though that the input audio quality is pretty garbage, well it is on mine anyway. Very high gain that picks up electrical noise from computer, touching connectors etc.

Isn't it the same on all digital pianos? Same on CA98. Any way around it?

Roland LX708
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

You can turn the gain down with the volume control. I don't get any bad sounds

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by akc42

Right, the Line In level cab be used to adjust the input gain. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to have a high volume on the external device, and a relatively low input level, however it pays to experiment with different settings.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A

I did try quite a bit with the input gain attenuation and output volume and it was either too quiet or too much background noise. It may have to do with the Macbook also not being plugged in / grounded though, will need to experiment more.

@jgmallard, which sound do you find yourself using the most on your CS11?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I did try quite a bit with the input gain attenuation and output volume and it was either too quiet or too much background noise. It may have to do with the Macbook also not being plugged in / grounded though, will need to experiment more.

I'm driving this from both a Macbook Air and an Ipad Pro. both work really well with or without mains power. I have the volume up quite high on both computers. I've been using the Macbook Air for over 18 months whereas I just bought the Ipad Pro and am preferring it because a) I can keep the music stand up and b) the screen allows for music to show in Piano Marvel (the app I use most). My usb B to A cable is quite high quality and is shielded. Maybe that is the secret The audio cable is a simple stereo 3.5mm jack on both ends audio cable - but there is nothing special about it.

Of course I get a hum if I pull the jack out of the computer and touch the end with my finger, but that is the only time.

[Linked Image]

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
So the answer is what? USB audio? How set it up? I don't think I have the option to send audio via USB on my computer.

Roland LX708
This reminds me of a bad joke ...
I get a hum if I pull the jack out of the computer and touch the end with my finger ...

Patient: Doc, I get a hum whenever I touch the jack with my finger.
Doctor: So don't touch the jack with your finger. And pay the receptionist $50. Bye.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission