Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (Chrispy, AZNpiano, Chopin Acolyte, cfrederi, Charles Cohen, AnnInMiami, Chernobieff Piano, Anticlock, 14 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1987 Yamaha U1AR, 1990 Kawai UST-8a or 2000 Kawai 902F #2859772
06/17/19 10:41 PM
06/17/19 10:41 PM
Y
yifengwu Offline OP
yifengwu  Offline OP
Y

hello, everyone

I am new to this forum. We are trying to get an used upright piano for my 5 year old son to start with. We have been looking around in stores, Craigslist or nearby facebook market. Finally we have narrowed down these 3 options for us:
1. 1987 Yamaha U1AR from private party. the seller is a musician and he bought it new around 1990, tuned and maintained twice a year. He claimed that it was in great conditions, pictures are here:1987 yamaha U1AR
I think this piano has been played quite a bit but since the owner is a musician, so I guess it has been pretty well maintained. Asked for $3450 obo. Is it too old and how much should I negotiate if I decide to buy it? no tax and shipping is on him. We have not got the chance to hear it yet, I need to drive two hours over, however, owner gave me the contact information of his piano technician if I need more information.

2. 1990 Kawai UST-8a from piano store. Personally I like this piano, it is listed for $2470, plus tax and delivery the price will be around $2800. My wife does not like the oak style and this piano has been held by private owner. It has been gently used. 1 year warranty. I am also concerned about the year since this is also a 30 year old piano.

3. 2000 Kawai 902F. 46.5" studio piano from a store. it comes with 10 year warranty. everything together I am looking at paying $3750 ($3488+delivery, notax since it is out of state). they claimed it has been gently used (and we opened and looked as well), nothing has been improved or fixed. french furniture style which my wife likes a lot.

Sound wise they are all good to me. We do prefer a studio kind of size since it sound much better.

Please give your comments. Right now we are leaning to 2000 kawai 902F. however, the price can not be negotiated.

And do we still need to hire a professional technician to exam the piano before I buy it? even if they are providing 10 year warranty?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: 1987 Yamaha U1AR, 1990 Kawai UST-8a or 2000 Kawai 902F [Re: yifengwu] #2859853
06/18/19 05:04 AM
06/18/19 05:04 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Welcome to the forum :-)

From your description I would also lean towards the Kawai 902F but that doesn't really matter. Any Kawai or Yamaha in good condition will be a very nice instrument for someone to start with but they are all different so the important thing is to choose a piano *you* like not one that someone else likes. So do play the pianos if you can, or if not at least get someone else to play them and listen - and then favour the piano you or your son like to play and listen to.

An older 30 yr piano is fine if it is in good condition, and for an older piano condition is really the only thing that determines its value, or whether it has any value at all, so you really are best advised to get it checked before purchasing. Even for younger 902F it would be better to have a check done but, if you trust the dealer, and the guarantee is good, and you can afford the gamble of writing off the cost or alternatively spending half as much again on repairs if necessary, then it's up to you whether you fancy taking the risk or not. I did that when I bought my own piano, but it perhaps isn't generally a good idea.

Good luck and happy piano playing - do go out and play them, don't just listen to a recording :-)

Last edited by gwing; 06/18/19 05:05 AM.
Re: 1987 Yamaha U1AR, 1990 Kawai UST-8a or 2000 Kawai 902F [Re: gwing] #2859954
06/18/19 10:28 AM
06/18/19 10:28 AM
Y
yifengwu Offline OP
yifengwu  Offline OP
Y

gwing, Thank you. Price wise do you think they are reasonable?

Re: 1987 Yamaha U1AR, 1990 Kawai UST-8a or 2000 Kawai 902F [Re: yifengwu] #2860006
06/18/19 11:58 AM
06/18/19 11:58 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Originally Posted by yifengwu
gwing, Thank you. Price wise do you think they are reasonable?

I can't really help you with that as the value is entirely dependent on condition - an older piano might need anything from nothing to several thousand dollars to bring it up to good playable condition and you'll only know what needs doing once you have an inspection done.

That said the the Yamaha UI feels a little expensive and here in the UK I could get a newer one in good condition for a bit less - but the price isn't outrageous and the market where you live will have different prices to other locations. Don't get hung upon 'book' value though, if you find a really nice piano it is worth paying a bit of a premium on it and a nominal $2000 dollar piano in superb condition is worth much more than a nominal $4000 piano that needs a major rebuild.

Re: 1987 Yamaha U1AR, 1990 Kawai UST-8a or 2000 Kawai 902F [Re: yifengwu] #2860368
06/19/19 09:57 AM
06/19/19 09:57 AM
Y
yifengwu Offline OP
yifengwu  Offline OP
Y

for the yamaha U1, I guess it's been used quite a bit since the owner is a musician, tuned twice every year, and I have not got the chance to see it yet. One of the stores near me has the same year U1 which is listed for over 5000 dollars, they claimed it had not been used much.

Re: 1987 Yamaha U1AR, 1990 Kawai UST-8a or 2000 Kawai 902F [Re: yifengwu] #2860476
06/19/19 01:58 PM
06/19/19 01:58 PM
Y
yifengwu Offline OP
yifengwu  Offline OP
Y

Can anyone take a look at the pictures in the above link? Please look at the hammer grooves, does that mean the piano has been frequently used?

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP-695gp or N1X hybrid piano?
by James Padgett. 07/20/19 11:33 PM
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,099
Posts2,850,239
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission