Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (apianostudent, AnnInMiami, begin ẻ, akc42, baudelairepianist, Animisha, Alex_G, 19 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 498 of 499 1 2 496 497 498 499
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: BatyaGeee] #2856510
06/07/19 07:40 PM
06/07/19 07:40 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by BatyaGeee
Gosh, what an embarrassing typo... I'm still on the six unison melodies at the beginning.

I am finding Bartok amazingly amusing for completely dissonant music. Well, maybe more discordant than dissonant? Anyways, I opened up Book 1 and started recording all the pieces a week ago, and am up to No. 24. Fun stuff since you can't even tell when something is played correctly! crazy

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2856542
06/07/19 11:40 PM
06/07/19 11:40 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Gosh, what an embarrassing typo... I'm still on the six unison melodies at the beginning.

I am finding Bartok amazingly amusing for completely dissonant music. Well, maybe more discordant than dissonant? Anyways, I opened up Book 1 and started recording all the pieces a week ago, and am up to No. 24. Fun stuff since you can't even tell when something is played correctly! crazy

I found it kind of fun realizing that I made a reading/playing error based on something other than the sound. The sound will never give it away. Ok, only about that fun. Not so much fun that I kept doing it consistently.

Learner
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin] #2856543
06/07/19 11:50 PM
06/07/19 11:50 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by malkin
I found it kind of fun realizing that I made a reading/playing error based on something other than the sound. The sound will never give it away. Ok, only about that fun. Not so much fun that I kept doing it consistently.

What I find amazing is how much work it takes to make it sound..... strange! laugh Knocked two more off today, Nos. 26 & 27. Unfortunately, couldn't record as the audio in my computer is not working and I await an audio engineer to come over tomorrow and re-cable and fix everything. Don't know why I bothered as by tomorrow, I'll be starting Nos. 26 & 27 again from scratch! It's impossible to actually keep this stuff in the fingers. LOL

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin] #2856624
06/08/19 09:58 AM
06/08/19 09:58 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by malkin

I skipped Vols. 1-3 and started with Vol. 4 and am now on Vol. 5, but I wish I had started with the earlier volumes and gotten into Mikroskosmos more gradually to acclimate to the style--the best analogy I can come up with is the frog in the pot of water and slowly bringing the pot to a boil, versus plunging directly into boiling water. laugh

At any rate, I think Mikrokosmos has helped me a lot, especially with reading and hand independence (more accurately, brain control of each hand). You have to be totally focused on the score and what it tells you to do--no cheating by using your ear. It's a real mental workout! (And exhausting.)

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2857115
06/09/19 09:47 PM
06/09/19 09:47 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
Pianoperformance  Offline
P

Ludovico Einaudi is one of my favorite contemporary artists to listen to, and we were able to attend his current tour: 7 days walking. What a brilliant performance. I always wanted to play some of his earlier pieces, but never felt I was ready. After a long practice this afternoon, I decided to look at I Giorni, and noticed that both my sight reading and rhythm had improved. It was fun just to play the first 20 measures, slowly, and it was a nice wrap to the day’s practice.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2859514
06/17/19 09:51 AM
06/17/19 09:51 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

2 AOTWs, to make up for not having checked in for a while.

1. I have a few pieces on the go, and a couple of them in particular were starting to frustrate me because they seemed to be taking longer than they should* to gel. But this week there's been a big leap forward on two of them, which is great.

2. I've had a lightbulb moment and identified a bad practice habit that I do all the time. In theory, I break my pieces into suitably small segments, learn the segments, join them together into larger segments when the small ones have been conquered, etc. BUT I have noticed that if a segment goes ok when I practice it, I have a strong tendency to play on into the next segment where I frequently make a mistake. And because I do this often, I keep practicing mistakes in the segment *after* the one I am working on.
Depending on how I am approaching the segments for a particular piece, the segment I follow into may be reasonably solid, but even so I am usually not ready to join them up, not ready to join them at the practice tempo, or maybe just haven't been looking ahead to second segment this time *because I'm not meant to be practicing it right now*.
So my challenge this week is to pay close attention and avoid doing this.

*should is of course a ridiculous, dangerous word. The pieces take as long as they take. No point layering frustrations of how long they "should" take on top, assuming progress is being made and I haven't just bitten off more than I can chew

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram] #2859716
06/17/19 06:52 PM
06/17/19 06:52 PM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Congrats on the pieces, Barbaram thumb thumb I always struggle with NOT having those pesky "should" expectations too. And I'm always surprised how quickly it goes from what a mess to hey, that's coming together. It's a good feeling... Enjoy!

As for running past segment ends... guilty. Do it all the time . Sometimes I'll even write in my practice notes STOP at beat 1 meas X. And then still go by it. Lol. I'm running out of years to correct this stuff.

Jim

Consolation No.2 E maj, F.Liszt
Nocturne C# minor, FChopin
Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2859782
06/17/19 11:10 PM
06/17/19 11:10 PM
New York
M
Medved1 Offline
Medved1  Offline
M

New York
My achievement of the week: Measures 40-45 of Bach's Fugue # 15 in G major, practiced slowly, and the brain fart in measure 44 erased.

The family's achievement of the week - Measures 40-45 memorized.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Medved1] #2859847
06/18/19 04:33 AM
06/18/19 04:33 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by Medved1

laugh laugh laugh ha

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram] #2859915
06/18/19 08:45 AM
06/18/19 08:45 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by barbaram
Originally Posted by Medved1

laugh laugh laugh ha

thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2861006
06/20/19 05:59 PM
06/20/19 05:59 PM
Nebraska, USA
E
enw10 Offline
enw10  Offline
E

Nebraska, USA
I had a breakthrough this week. Last week I was playing a piece for my teacher and she asked, "Why do you think you keep starting over at certain points when you haven't even played any wrong notes?" I thought about it for a minute, but concluded that since I didn't do that at home, it was probably just nerves, and that once I got a little more comfortable with the piece, those start overs would go away. Well, she of course sent me home with the task of being able to play through it with no start overs. I thought "Easy! I already can!" I got home and realized that I WAS starting over at home... I just didn't notice it. Then I started noticing it in other pieces, too. When I didn't notice it, I couldn't really pinpoint parts that needed more work. Since I was playing the right notes, they just didn't jump out at me as parts I was struggling with. Today, I picked up a piece I've been working on, found FOUR places where I consistently started the measure over, and fixed 3 of them within about 15 minutes. It's amazing how much more confident I feel playing the piece when I'm not just hoping my fingers magically hit the right keys.

Definitely one of those "Of course!" moments! I guess I need to be more perceptive when I'm playing.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2861050
06/20/19 09:09 PM
06/20/19 09:09 PM
Sydney, Australia
M
MidnightRocknroll Offline
MidnightRocknroll  Offline
M

Sydney, Australia
After 166 days of practice, I can play Clair de lune! Superexcited about this smile I've been filming the progress starting from day 1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4cm06h_3oA

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: enw10] #2861051
06/20/19 09:13 PM
06/20/19 09:13 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by enw10
I had a breakthrough this week. Last week I was playing a piece for my teacher and she asked, "Why do you think you keep starting over at certain points when you haven't even played any wrong notes?" I thought about it for a minute, but concluded that since I didn't do that at home, it was probably just nerves, and that once I got a little more comfortable with the piece, those start overs would go away. Well, she of course sent me home with the task of being able to play through it with no start overs. I thought "Easy! I already can!" I got home and realized that I WAS starting over at home... I just didn't notice it. Then I started noticing it in other pieces, too. When I didn't notice it, I couldn't really pinpoint parts that needed more work. Since I was playing the right notes, they just didn't jump out at me as parts I was struggling with. Today, I picked up a piece I've been working on, found FOUR places where I consistently started the measure over, and fixed 3 of them within about 15 minutes. It's amazing how much more confident I feel playing the piece when I'm not just hoping my fingers magically hit the right keys.

Definitely one of those "Of course!" moments! I guess I need to be more perceptive when I'm playing.
thumb A light bulb moment for you!

Some time ago I found myself doing that same thing in lessons--it was always at the start. I had to give myself a stern talking-to and make a conscious effort to mend my ways!

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2861450
06/21/19 11:53 PM
06/21/19 11:53 PM
Detroit
F
Fidel Offline
Fidel  Offline
F

Detroit
After months of avoiding it I tuned my piano with the Linux entropy piano tuner. It took 8 hours.

About 2 hours of that was getting my ancient linux box to work with my mic & audio interface. Long story short, that tiny button says "48v". Condenser mic needs it, doh!

Entropy had an extremely hard time recording a half dozen notes. Try as I might it could not find the desired harmonicity. I decided it was a charecteristic of my piano scaling and ignored the warnings, let it calculate a random stretch for minimal entropy, and, began tuning.

I thought I was going to have a seizure watching entropy's strobe-o-scope. And I was going absolutely nuts with how far off pitch it was making me tune some notes, often as much as 10 cents. It was agony because I worked hard to make my piano equal temperament. It sounded like cr*p when I finished but it was late, I was exhausted...manana.

Next day, still a bit dizzy from the pitch change, I decided to practice. Umm, Brahms day. Hey, you know, kinda nice. Next day after that, more Brahms. Absolutely delicious. Why did I wait so long to try this? The piano is so much cozier and friendly. This entropy thingie wonderfully exploits the inharmonicity of the piano! The fundamentals may be off pitch but when played together the overtones blend together in a warm sound. It's delicious.

I'm not a piano tech, just a run of the mill user. I'll say this: your tech is worth every penny because tuning is hard work. And good techs automagically take harmonicity into account. My entropy is random, their's comes from years & decades of experience.

Believe me, it makes a positive difference.

"the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." -- Chaucer.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Fidel] #2861550
06/22/19 09:50 AM
06/22/19 09:50 AM
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Fidel
After months of avoiding it I tuned my piano with the Linux entropy piano tuner. It took 8 hours.

About 2 hours of that was getting my ancient linux box to work with my mic & audio interface. Long story short, that tiny button says "48v". Condenser mic needs it, doh!

Entropy had an extremely hard time recording a half dozen notes. Try as I might it could not find the desired harmonicity. I decided it was a charecteristic of my piano scaling and ignored the warnings, let it calculate a random stretch for minimal entropy, and, began tuning.

I thought I was going to have a seizure watching entropy's strobe-o-scope. And I was going absolutely nuts with how far off pitch it was making me tune some notes, often as much as 10 cents. It was agony because I worked hard to make my piano equal temperament. It sounded like cr*p when I finished but it was late, I was exhausted...manana.

Next day, still a bit dizzy from the pitch change, I decided to practice. Umm, Brahms day. Hey, you know, kinda nice. Next day after that, more Brahms. Absolutely delicious. Why did I wait so long to try this? The piano is so much cozier and friendly. This entropy thingie wonderfully exploits the inharmonicity of the piano! The fundamentals may be off pitch but when played together the overtones blend together in a warm sound. It's delicious.

I'm not a piano tech, just a run of the mill user. I'll say this: your tech is worth every penny because tuning is hard work. And good techs automagically take harmonicity into account. My entropy is random, their's comes from years & decades of experience.

Believe me, it makes a positive difference.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MidnightRocknroll] #2862027
06/23/19 02:38 PM
06/23/19 02:38 PM
P
Parcival Offline
Parcival  Offline
P

I practiced and can now play my first piece (well, piece may be exaggerated, it's maybe 25 measures) from my piano book that kinda actually sounds like something you would play on a piano.
It's a kid's beginner book so it's nice to play something that sounds like actual music.
My teacher said usually she finds this piece way to difficult for a complete beginner at this point in the book, but I should be able to do it. (Played in a 50+ people orchestra for 8 years, so I'm not a complete beginner concerning theory, rhythm etc.)
Feels good.

Originally Posted by MidnightRocknroll
After 166 days of practice, I can play Clair de lune! Superexcited about this smile I've been filming the progress starting from day 1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4cm06h_3oA

Awesome, congrats! I'd love to be able to pay that one day...

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2862093
06/23/19 06:46 PM
06/23/19 06:46 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Congratulations, Parcival! May this be just the first of many in your repertoire that give you joy. What is the piece that you played, from what book? And what's next?!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2862140
06/23/19 09:49 PM
06/23/19 09:49 PM
F
facdo Offline
facdo  Offline
F

I finished all 25 Burgmuller's progressive etudes, Op.100! My goal was to learn and record one etude every week and I actually made it! I am really happy now smile

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: facdo] #2862320
06/24/19 12:11 PM
06/24/19 12:11 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Originally Posted by facdo
I finished all 25 Burgmuller's progressive etudes, Op.100! My goal was to learn and record one etude every week and I actually made it! I am really happy now smile

Sounds like you addressed this project systematically and with sustained attention. Way to go!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Qwerty53] #2862387
06/24/19 04:39 PM
06/24/19 04:39 PM
P
Parcival Offline
Parcival  Offline
P

Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Congratulations, Parcival! May this be just the first of many in your repertoire that give you joy. What is the piece that you played, from what book? And what's next?!

It's a composition of the author of the book, no special title. I guess no one will know the book, it's a german children's book, Liederfiebel.

Well, I can tell you what's next after today's lesson: I get to practice it again, only now I have to use pedals for the first time...
This will be fun, concentrating on the notes, my hands and the pedal at the same time. But I like the challenge!

Page 498 of 499 1 2 496 497 498 499

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Polished Ebony Finish
by Romar. 07/16/19 07:02 PM
1973 Mason & Hamlin Model A
by vickie1124. 07/16/19 06:12 PM
Digital Piano Headphones
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:53 PM
NAMM 2019 - New Releases? - What to expect?
by Romar. 07/16/19 05:47 PM
Kawai Bluetooth MIDI and Windows?
by magicpiano. 07/16/19 02:50 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,037
Posts2,849,130
Members93,895
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission