2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
oivavoi Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I know there have been discussion about this is in the past. But I'm still not sure what to make of it. In short: What determines how loud an upright piano will be when playing with a "normal" touch?

My subjective experience is that some pianos are louder than others. This has partly to do with how loud it CAN get - and partly with how loud it gets with what would be "normal" touch for me.

What are the reasons for this?

And can this be changed with regulation and voicing? My layman understanding would be that voicing can make a piano less bright/shrill, which may make it sound less loud, but that it can't make it less loud objectively. I would assume that regulation can change how loud a piano will be with "normal" touch - is that the case?

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hammers, regulation and or voicing generally.

But - some pianos are quieter than others, even when new.

An example - in my Mum's Aged Care facility, in her ward is an old English, small piano (Broadwood is the brand), looks OK, in tune. Probably donated!!!

It rarely gets played ... because ... it has 2 volumes 1) very,very loud; or 2) slightly louder. The hammers are so hard you could probably drive nails into timber with them. Besides that, there is no sense of feel to the piano, and having no sense of responsiveness makes it difficult to play.

I don't doubt that new hammers would make a huge difference, but in isolation it will only partly solve the problem. It probably needs new strings, dampers and hundreds of other parts replaced - a full regulation. Much more than the piano will ever be worth.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I’m sure the room acoustics also directly affect how loud and/or shrill any piano sounds. That’s why it’s kinda crazy to buy a piano without first playing it. If you find that your dream piano sounds a bit too loud when you bring it home, you can change the room’s acoustics to bring out the sound you want.
I’ve learned enough over the years to play a piano with a good range of dynamics. If I can’t play it very softly in the showroom or owner’s home, it’s immediately scratched off my list.
I’ve never bought a piano that’s too loud or shrill. If I did, I’d ask my piano tech to fix it. It might take several long work sessions and maybe new hammers or strings but he could fix it. I would have to answer his polite query of “what in heaven’s name were you thinking? Why didn’t you ask me to check this out before you plopped down your money?”

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
I’m sure the room acoustics also directly affect how loud and/or shrill any piano sounds. That’s why it’s kinda crazy to buy a piano without first playing it. If you find that your dream piano sounds a bit too loud when you bring it home, you can change the room’s acoustics to bring out the sound you want.

Definitely - a pipe organ is a great example - the biggest aspect is the acoustics. There is one Church near here which a lovely medium pipe organ - destroyed because someone carpeted the entire building. There is no resonance in the building - plus a fair bit of volume was lost.

And yes, you can certainly improve a piano by altering the acoustics - I've done it a number of times. But the piano needs to be reasonable to start with, unlike the abomination in my example a few posts up.

Another example was a piano showroom (since bankrupt) with high end grand pianos which opened up to face plate glass windows. They sounded terrible.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
O
oivavoi Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks guys/gals. That's good advice. I'm asking since I consider buying an old upright which I really really liked in many ways, plus that the asking price is very low considering the quality. But I perceived it as a bit too loud, and slightly more difficult to get to ppp than I ideally would like. So I'm wondering how much it would be possible to do with that.

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Hammers, regulation and or voicing generally.

But - some pianos are quieter than others, even when new.

An example - in my Mum's Aged Care facility, in her ward is an old English, small piano (Broadwood is the brand), looks OK, in tune. Probably donated!!!

It rarely gets played ... because ... it has 2 volumes 1) very,very loud; or 2) slightly louder. The hammers are so hard you could probably drive nails into timber with them. Besides that, there is no sense of feel to the piano, and having no sense of responsiveness makes it difficult to play.

I don't doubt that new hammers would make a huge difference, but in isolation it will only partly solve the problem. It probably needs new strings, dampers and hundreds of other parts replaced - a full regulation. Much more than the piano will ever be worth.

I once had an old Broadwood which I bought for teaching purposes.It had a lovely tone and was very responsive to playing with dynamics.
When comparing however to many newer uprights the
action was probably rather worn.
Playing softly and quickly or louder with repeated notes would not have been possible as far as I remember. Many newer uprights can cope much better with this.For example the new Ed Seiler with the use of magnets for repitition .

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oivavoi
Thanks guys/gals. That's good advice. I'm asking since I consider buying an old upright which I really really liked in many ways, plus that the asking price is very low considering the quality. But I perceived it as a bit too loud, and slightly more difficult to get to ppp than I ideally would like. So I'm wondering how much it would be possible to do with that.

Ask an independent, reliable piano technician what could be done to get that piano to play softly enough for your playing and technique. Which means you would have to play that piano for the tech you hire. Trained competent piano tech’s can do that sort of thing so incredibly well.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I should just add I bought that Broadwood from a well known dealer so it probably had a great deal of work
done on it.On the other hand J&J gives good advice ,
Also as back to _study _piano implies have the piano
properly assessed by a technician but expect that the
piano may need more work than you realize.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission