Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
112 registered members (ando, astrotoy, AnnInMiami, 35 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds #2859334
06/16/19 07:57 PM
06/16/19 07:57 PM
Sudbury
T
tesladan Offline OP
tesladan  Offline OP
T

Sudbury
I spent the last 2 weeks playing You Demo's of different Roland, Yamaha, Korg digital pianos, stage pianos etc

They sound really real on my Magnepan speakers
https://www.magnepan.com/model_17

already decided regardless of which digital piano or keyboard I get, will run it though these speakers

stereo system at home worth more than price of average 2019 new car, nice to know I can use it for keyboard as well as playing turntable and cds

Dan

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859375
06/16/19 10:34 PM
06/16/19 10:34 PM
PA
puremusic Offline
puremusic  Offline

PA
Haha, you got to try out some of those, now that must've been something. I've been wanting to for quite awhile sheerly due to their reputation.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: puremusic] #2859383
06/16/19 11:04 PM
06/16/19 11:04 PM
Sudbury
T
tesladan Offline OP
tesladan  Offline OP
T

Sudbury
Originally Posted by puremusic
Haha, you got to try out some of those, now that must've been something. I've been wanting to for quite awhile sheerly due to their reputation.

No cabinet at all, just as much sound coming off the back of the speakers as the front. This is why they need 3 feet behind them for space, I have my pair 51/2 from back wall.
Really natural sounding but requires good high current power amplifier - forget trying to use average surround sound receiver.

Dan

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859384
06/16/19 11:10 PM
06/16/19 11:10 PM
PA
puremusic Offline
puremusic  Offline

PA
Yes that's what I've heard about the amps and the need for space. I am not a fellow with much knowledge about amps, so that's a hindrance to entry into the Magnepan world for me -- I'm sure an expensive one would be required.

The spacial imaging must be spectacular.

How do you find the bass response of those 1.7s? Do you think you'll want some additional speakers to cover it or is it fine?

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859386
06/16/19 11:14 PM
06/16/19 11:14 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Online content
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P

Bay Area CA
tesladan -

It's good to hear you're getting great sound with the 1.7's! I've been itching to set a pair up and listen to the digital piano thru them - and you've confirmed my expectation for the sound. I gotta get busy!

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859457
06/17/19 06:12 AM
06/17/19 06:12 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I saw a guy on You Tube who made his own planar speakers using transducers and flat sheets of various materials.
He tried a number of different sheet materials and several different placements of the transducers.
The cost was very low and the labor likewise.

Once he weeded out the weak performers he claimed excellent results.
I say "claimed" because I could not judge the results based on a You Tube video, recorded by means unknown, and tubified/compressed/distorted who-knows-how/.

This seemed intriguing since the market for planar speakers has prices that will make your head spin.
This was a cheap alternative and I was thinking of trying it .
But space limitations got in the way. I don't have room for panels dimensioned at three or four feet each.

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859462
06/17/19 06:41 AM
06/17/19 06:41 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

I love electtrostatics being used to Quads. The problem is they are even more space hungry than a grand piano (my parents have both in their living room). They need to be a good 3 feet from the wall and that means you need a pretty long room for them to sound their best.

Wonderfully pure sound but tend to be a bit lacking in bass.Martin Logan make a range with a built in (sub) woofer but I suspect that rather spoils the sound.

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859472
06/17/19 07:51 AM
06/17/19 07:51 AM
Philadelphia
Bruce In Philly Offline
Bruce In Philly  Offline

Philadelphia
You love them because:

1- Magnepans are fabulous speakers
2 - Reproducing sampled (and modeled) sounds is about quality "reproduction", no different than playing back a CD... must be as accurate as possible... and that usually means good power, larger speakers, and higher cost (unfortunately but that is the way it is to get quality and accuracy).

I have owned Magnepans at two different stages.... the MG 2.5R and then the monster MG 20. They are just fabulous. Only issue with them is they need a a powerful amp that can produce current (not watts) into difficult loads, and they are extremely sensitive to room placement. For that, I would be interested in how you set them all up. Also, due to rear wave cancellation (due to being a dipole and tricky with room placement) Magnepans can have enemic low bass.

Fabulous. I highly recommend others hooking up their home stereo systems... or the old one in your basement... to your keyboards. The big sound is very addictive and how your samples should be reproduced.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 06/17/19 07:52 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859479
06/17/19 08:10 AM
06/17/19 08:10 AM
Europe
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Europe
Originally Posted by tesladan
stereo system at home worth more than price of average 2019 new car

Personally I would go with a grand piano at the same price level instead of pairing a digital piano with an expensive stereo.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: JoeT] #2859530
06/17/19 11:09 AM
06/17/19 11:09 AM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by JoeT

Personally I would go with a grand piano at the same price level instead of pairing a digital piano with an expensive stereo.

Except he already has the stereo, for other purposes. Kinda like saying you'd pick the piano over the car. ;-)

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859797
06/18/19 12:46 AM
06/18/19 12:46 AM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
My experience playing digital keyboards through stereo speakers is that they will sound good in general if the speakers are good quality, but that you are generally better off with a decent pair of powered studio monitors.

Consumer audio speakers, even very high end ones, have broader design requirements that include filling a room with a full soundstage. A studio monitor is optimized for linear frequency response at the expense of a wide listening field. You want each note to respond with very even dynamic level at a given key pressure to get a very uniform scale. With a bi-amped class D design, powered monitors can correct non-linearities with DSP algorithms running in the amp firmware, something outside the realm of possibility with passive speakers.

While Magnepan speakers are superb for listening to music recordings, I would expect a pair of studio monitors like a pair of JBL 305P’s or 306P’s to have a more even voicing across the range of a digital keyboard. When playing in my home studio, I use JBL Pro LSR-305’s as keyboard monitors. They were renamed as the JBL Pro 305P recently with minimal (if any) changes. I also use an LSR-2310sp subwoofer with them, but that is only needed for organ pedal voices, or if you play deep synthesizer bass.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859811
06/18/19 01:51 AM
06/18/19 01:51 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
PMFJI --

Originally Posted by Sweelinck
. . .While Magnepan speakers are superb for listening to music recordings, I would expect a pair of studio monitors like a pair of JBL 305P’s or 306P’s to have a more even voicing across the range of a digital keyboard.

Magnepans are a _very_ special case of "consumer audio speakers". I wouldn't bet against them, in a test against JBL LSR 305's. Or in a test against any other small "powered monitor".

Until somebody actually does such a test -- with multiple judges, and reproducible results -- the question is open, IMHO.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859813
06/18/19 01:53 AM
06/18/19 01:53 AM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
It is not about judging the sound in a listening test, but whether the instrument provides very even feedback to the player so that melodies can be shaped evenly without having to compensate for notes that play s little louder. This is purely in the realm of the player of the instrument not in the realm of the listener of the music being played.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: anotherscott] #2859823
06/18/19 02:28 AM
06/18/19 02:28 AM
Europe
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Europe
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by JoeT

Except he already has the stereo, for other purposes. Kinda like saying you'd pick the piano over the car. ;-)

You understood me correctly. If I inherited such an expensive stereo, I would sell it off for a grand. smile

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2859851
06/18/19 04:56 AM
06/18/19 04:56 AM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
Here are some frequency response curves for some Magnepan speakers:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/magnepan-mmg-speaker-system-measurements

If you play an ascending scale starting at Ab5, which has a fundamental frequency close to 831 Hz, the rolloff will lead to a finishing dynamic level of the keyboard output of the scale as played by the player is even in tone.

Here are some frequency response curves for JBL LSR305 and LSR308:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T9yLUksyFTu8DwtsaUwacoCIpRfmdIzx6vDRPjzfbCg/mobilebasic

On axis it virtually flat up to 8000Hz which captures the full upper range of an 88-key piano— B8 is around 7902Hz, and near field monitoring will be a listening position that is close to on-axis.

No question the Magnepans will sound better if you hook up a CD player and sit down and listen to full-range music. But an instrument note has a single fundamental frequency, and voicing irregularities (for an acoustic or digital instrument) will at times limit a player’s ability to shape melodies or scales evenly.

That said, if one already has a playback system, generally no harm in trying it out before investing in other monitoring equipment. One pitfall to watch out for, however, is that pro-oriented keyboards often have pro line level outputs that are too hot for consumer line level amp inputs and can damage a stereo amp. Definitely want the output spec of the keyboard before feeding it into a stereo amp. The headphone output can also be used, but it may have a noisier output stage. Decent studio monitors will let you set the input sensitivity of the monitor to match the keyboard output.

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: Sweelinck] #2859921
06/18/19 08:59 AM
06/18/19 08:59 AM
Philadelphia
Bruce In Philly Offline
Bruce In Philly  Offline

Philadelphia
Seelinck, good response... however, one thing you are missing is how a speaker presents and delivers a "sound field". An acoustic grand generates sound over a large radiating area and creates a sonic experience that defies point measurement. A Magnepan, or other large speaker is similar in that it presents sound in way that can wash over you.... you experience the sound differently and that can be very intoxicating regardless of a bump or frequency response aberration.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2860016
06/18/19 12:19 PM
06/18/19 12:19 PM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

Uhh, yeah.

First i clicked on your link, one of the first words i saw were "affordable"

Then i googled the price... sick

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: U3piano] #2860043
06/18/19 01:35 PM
06/18/19 01:35 PM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
Bruce,
I wasn’t missing your point, as noted in my first posting:

Consumer audio speakers, even very high end ones, have broader design requirements that include filling a room with a full soundstage. A studio monitor is optimized for linear frequency response at the expense of a wide listening field.

If the goal is to play for others and fill a living room with the full sound of a (properly voiced) acoustic piano then what you want is an acoustic piano. A reasonable quality upright properly maintained will provide a better playing experience and better sound than a sampled or modeled grand played through an amplified speaker.

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: U3piano] #2860110
06/18/19 04:25 PM
06/18/19 04:25 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I was expecting prices to be MUCH higher.
Originally Posted by U3piano
One of the first words i saw were "affordable". Then i googled the price. sick
A colleague years ago had a pair of planars. I don't know that they were Magnepan, but how many planar makers are there?
I do know that the pair cost over $6000.
Perhaps I'd remember more if not for the facts that (a) this visit was around 25 years ago and (b) I/we were drunk as #*$&^ because this was a bachelor party.

Anyway ... I see an online price of only $650 for a pair: Magnepan MMGi Floor Standing Planar-Magnetic Loudspeakers. That's WAY less than I was expecting. I might even get a pair ... in my next house.

But I also see the Magnepan 30.7 priced at a lofty $30,000. That doesn't jibe with the "affordable" moniker. But wait ... you get FOUR panels for that price! Such a deal! smile

Re: Magnepan speakers work well with keyboard, piano sounds [Re: tesladan] #2860123
06/18/19 05:05 PM
06/18/19 05:05 PM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

Well, i googled "magnepan 1.7" like described in the article.

It gave me a result with a price of €4000, that's far from affordable to me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Excited to play again.... is a Steck the right choice?
by Itsbeenawhile. 07/23/19 06:55 PM
Yamaha GH1 vs. ?
by henryh. 07/23/19 04:55 PM
Death of Art Neville
by dogperson. 07/23/19 04:51 PM
50% off Arturia V2 modelled piano & synths
by newer player. 07/23/19 04:39 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,153
Posts2,851,168
Members93,963
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission