Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (Antihero, accordeur, Animisha, Aceituna, AlphaBravoCharlie, AlastairR, 19 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
New member advice needed #2859164
06/16/19 12:02 PM
06/16/19 12:02 PM
J
Jmf68 Offline OP
Jmf68  Offline OP
J

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice. I’m in my mid 30s and would like to start playing piano. The main reason is for distraction and to help with stress and anxiety. Without going into too much detail I suffer from OCD which was mild until I had a car accident a couple of years ago and now have severe OCD and Tourette’s. I also suffer from dyspraxia (motor coordination disorder) so I’m not under the impression learning will be easy but I find music helps me zone out and gives me peace from intrusive thoughts and involuntary movements. Focusing on learning something new significantly reduces my issues.

My musical background as a child was a bit of self taught keyboard and later guitar. I can’t read music and normally relied on tab. I struggle with maintaining rhythm at guitar in terms of strumming patterns and find picking individual notes to be easier.

I will be taking weekly lessons but I am wondering is it worth getting a cheap keyboard to practice with just to gauge interest with the expectation to upgrade shortly afterwards or will this hinder my playing ability. Ideally I would like a digital piano and I am thinking of a Yamaha YDP164. If I did buy the piano would this be a good investment or should I look at a different model?

Thanks

John

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2859168
06/16/19 12:13 PM
06/16/19 12:13 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
That one will be fine.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2859277
06/16/19 04:01 PM
06/16/19 04:01 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Online content

Progman  Online Content

P

Southeast USA
This is a common approach for beginners. That digital will not hold you back in any way for a couple years at least. I view learning piano as one the best ways to get/keep a healthy brain. Have patience with it and you will be a decent pianist after a few years - probably a different person too. Good Luck!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2859291
06/16/19 04:53 PM
06/16/19 04:53 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Jmf68
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice. I’m in my mid 30s and would like to start playing piano. The main reason is for distraction and to help with stress and anxiety. Without going into too much detail I suffer from OCD which was mild until I had a car accident a couple of years ago and now have severe OCD and Tourette’s. I also suffer from dyspraxia (motor coordination disorder) so I’m not under the impression learning will be easy but I find music helps me zone out and gives me peace from intrusive thoughts and involuntary movements. Focusing on learning something new significantly reduces my issues.

My musical background as a child was a bit of self taught keyboard and later guitar. I can’t read music and normally relied on tab. I struggle with maintaining rhythm at guitar in terms of strumming patterns and find picking individual notes to be easier.

I will be taking weekly lessons but I am wondering is it worth getting a cheap keyboard to practice with just to gauge interest with the expectation to upgrade shortly afterwards or will this hinder my playing ability. Ideally I would like a digital piano and I am thinking of a Yamaha YDP164. If I did buy the piano would this be a good investment or should I look at a different model?

Thanks

John

Welcome to the forum!

I was in a car accident almost 2 years ago, and it really affected my ability to play. But then I used piano to help with the conditions I developed and things have really improved. Be sure to let your teacher know of these conditions and explain how they affect you so he or she can assist you. Of course, I have no idea if piano study will help these things, but the most any of us can do is the best with what we've got, so piano study can be very fulfilling.

I highly recommend getting a digital piano right away, rather than a keyboard. The Yamaha is good, also check out Kawai ES110 and Casio PX-160 (they just released a newer model, so you might get a good deal on discontinued stock). I prefer the feel of the latter two pianos to the Yamaha GHS action, but they are all decent.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2859293
06/16/19 04:59 PM
06/16/19 04:59 PM
W
Whizbang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

I find music helps me zone out and gives me peace from intrusive thoughts and involuntary movements. Focusing on learning something new significantly reduces my issues.

Good reason.

is it worth getting a cheap keyboard to practice with just to gauge interest with the expectation to upgrade shortly afterwards or will this hinder my playing ability.

A cheap keyboard will drain the joy from the experience.

A nice digital piano will be fine and has lots of advantages.

A free acoustic piano will drain the joy from the experience.

A nice acoustic piano will be fine and has advantages.

The right acoustic piano will be a friend for life but it is like finding love.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2859401
06/16/19 11:15 PM
06/16/19 11:15 PM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Hi John, welcome to this forum!
A cheap keyboard will probably not have weighted keys, which means that it is hard to learn to play well - because you cannot hear the effect of your gestures on the piano.
You are younger than a whole lot of us adult beginners, and that is a good thing. I hope you'll find the relief you are looking for when playing the piano!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2859412
06/17/19 12:35 AM
06/17/19 12:35 AM
R
rogerc Offline
rogerc  Offline
R

If I may give a different perspective. I have some disabilities myself when it comes to using my arms and hands. I have an arranger keyboard that I love to download Midis on and do different arrangements of the song to suit my mood and playing ability for that day.
I would love to be able to play a true piano but because of my limitations that isn’t going to happen but I love being at my keyboard and making music the best way I can.

Re: New member advice needed [Re: rogerc] #2859417
06/17/19 12:54 AM
06/17/19 12:54 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by rogerc
If I may give a different perspective.

This is the best thing about a forum! People giving different perspectives, and you can chose which one appeals to you most. Roger thumb

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2860065
06/18/19 01:31 PM
06/18/19 01:31 PM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Try both digital and acoustics in a shop where they have good (well tuned, feeling nice) acoustics.
Play a short piece you like, I suggest without pedal.
IIf you're like me (or Whizbang) then you'll figure out if a DP fits you or not within a minute.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2860069
06/18/19 01:47 PM
06/18/19 01:47 PM
Canada
initK Offline
initK  Offline

Canada
It's great that you are getting a teacher from the get-go. Weekly lessons sound very good too. Learning to play piano is in fact very good tool to deal with anxiety. The only thing is that you need to accept right away that it's going to be long term project with slow progress.

The model you are looking at (Yamaha YDP-164) is really good actually. I bought YDP-163 (the previous model) 3 months ago and loving it. It was upgrade for me from Casio PX350, which I would NOT recommend. Casio DPs have too light action in my opinion. I'm coming from years of playing acoustic pianos as a child and teenager and this model doesn't feel like a compromise at all to me. There is so much written about various digital pianos in Digital Pianos sub forum, but I'm putting my 2 cents here because I have a personal and recent experience with this model.

Good luck!

Yamaha YDP-163
Back to playing piano in December 2018!
Re: New member advice needed [Re: Jmf68] #2861834
06/22/19 08:49 PM
06/22/19 08:49 PM
sara elizabeth Offline
500 Post Club Member
sara elizabeth  Offline
500 Post Club Member

I used a cheap keyboard for the first two months to assess my interest in taking piano back up. It was ok for that amount of time but honestly no longer than a month or two. You’d probably be better off going for the better digital piano right off unless money is tight.

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For which composers are Bärenreiter Urtext editions, best?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 07:33 AM
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 or Sennheiser HD 660?
by johanibraaten. 11/14/19 06:05 AM
Bluetooth speakers
by dtrvno. 11/14/19 02:19 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,081
Posts2,890,658
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission