Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (anotherscott, AssociateX, BigIslandGuy, AWilley, ando, Bruce In Philly, 36251, 22 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 66 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Chrispy] #2857717
06/12/19 09:25 AM
06/12/19 09:25 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[quote=Chrispy]I'm not reacting at all. I can't sense anything myself. Played today it seems fine to me. I also haven't measured anything yet, although I did order some weights to be able to measure.

That's the reaction. You're buying weights to test something that you can't detect so you can potentially have Yamaha 'fix' a problem that doesn't exist. As someone else pointed out you have enough skill to know if something is wrong just by playing. It seems like you saw David's video and now you have to try it out of what, misplaced worry? I seems like you are looking for a problem where there isn't one.

Well, if we all had Kawais and were living in the UK, we'd clearly be told this is a non-issue. Piano keys are supposed to have non-uniform behavior, at least in the UK. wink

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2858844
06/15/19 02:34 PM
06/15/19 02:34 PM
Paris - France
B
Bro' Offline
Bro'  Offline
B

Paris - France
Do you, N1X owners, use caster cups and which model? I think about it to mitigate noise for my downstair neighbor.
How many cups are necessary, 4 or 5 (the fifth for the kind of support under the pedals which is touching floor and was present on the N1)?

Chopin is the only dead man that makes me feel alive.
Bro'
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Bro'] #2858857
06/15/19 03:29 PM
06/15/19 03:29 PM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

Originally Posted by Bro'
Do you, N1X owners, use caster cups and which model? I think about it to mitigate noise for my downstair neighbor.
How many cups are necessary, 4 or 5 (the fifth for the kind of support under the pedals which is touching floor and was present on the N1)?

Conventional castor cups wouldn't fit as the rear support is almost like a continuous bar.

Not sure how they would reduce noise either but if you needed to you could put the whole piano on a rug or mat.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: percy64] #2858877
06/15/19 04:36 PM
06/15/19 04:36 PM
Paris - France
B
Bro' Offline
Bro'  Offline
B

Paris - France
Originally Posted by percy64

Conventional castor cups wouldn't fit as the rear support is almost like a continuous bar.

Not sure how they would reduce noise either but if you needed to you could put the whole piano on a rug or mat.

Almost like you said! Need some testimony to be sure.
A mat is planned. Wanted to add cups to double the chance to not disturb my neighbour

Last edited by Bro'; 06/15/19 04:39 PM.

Bro'
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Bro'] #2858896
06/15/19 05:37 PM
06/15/19 05:37 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA

Hereโ€™s what I got: Eison Piano Caster Cups for Upright Piano Wooden Piano Caster Piano Leg Floor Protectors with Non-Slip & Anti-Noise Foam Hardwood Floor Protectors, Set of 4, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTFHGGL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BowbDb5RHQSKB

They are sorbathane and have completely dampened the keyboard noise through the floor. Our tv room is right under the piano and the family used to complain about the noise when I played and these eliminated all complaints. Also percy64 is incorrect, though it may look like a continuous bar, there are actually short feet that come out from below the bar that fit the cups just fine. The front legs are a pretty close fit for these cups but are basically perfect. However if you want a little play another 1/2โ€ diameter might be good.

๐’€๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‰๐’‚ ๐‘จ๐’—๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐‘ฎ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ต1๐‘ฟ
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Chrispy] #2858902
06/15/19 06:16 PM
06/15/19 06:16 PM
Paris - France
B
Bro' Offline
Bro'  Offline
B

Paris - France
Thanks Percy, that is exactly what I needed to know and hoped to read.
A fifth cup is not necessary?
In the link, is it the right size, I mean exactly the same as yours?

Bro'
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2858998
06/16/19 12:24 AM
06/16/19 12:24 AM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Yes the link is exactly what I got direct from my order history. And yes, 4 is what you need, there are just 4 feet. I should note that you will need โ€œsomethingโ€ else to put under the foot pedal support. With the caster cups the screw will no longer reach the floor. I used a piece of 1x4 I had in my garage. You could probably use a book or whatnot.

Last edited by Chrispy; 06/16/19 12:25 AM.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2858999
06/16/19 12:28 AM
06/16/19 12:28 AM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Ugh, new problem today. E4 wonโ€™t play if you hit it softly. It feels like something in the action is โ€œstuckโ€ much like when you try to repeat a note without it resetting correctly. Another warranty call sigh. I feel bad for the tech, itโ€™s a long trip frown

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Chrispy] #2859013
06/16/19 02:38 AM
06/16/19 02:38 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
3000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Ugh, new problem today. E4 wonโ€™t play if you hit it softly. It feels like something in the action is โ€œstuckโ€ much like when you try to repeat a note without it resetting correctly. Another warranty call sigh. I feel bad for the tech, itโ€™s a long trip frown

Sounds like the jack spring might be loose.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Chrispy] #2859020
06/16/19 03:50 AM
06/16/19 03:50 AM
Paris - France
B
Bro' Offline
Bro'  Offline
B

Paris - France
Tried to order the same caster cups as yours but ship to France is not possible. Found these
https://www.amazon.fr/Moukey-Coupelles-Mousse-Protection-Sous-roulettes/dp/B07CTJSZMD/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ร…Mร…ลฝร•ร‘&crid=232YV4UNACT6&keywords=coupelles+piano&qid=1560670846&s=gateway&sprefix=Coupelles+piano%2Caps%2C577&sr=8-5
Looks like yours but the kind of felt under look thiner. I should get'em on wednesday or thursday and the piano will arrived on saturday.

I feel bad for the tech, itโ€™s a long trip frown

Feel bad FOR YOU! Hope the fix will be easy and quick.

Bro'
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Chrispy] #2859029
06/16/19 05:20 AM
06/16/19 05:20 AM
P
percy64 Offline
percy64  Offline
P

Hereโ€™s what I got: Eison Piano Caster Cups for Upright Piano Wooden Piano Caster Piano Leg Floor Protectors with Non-Slip & Anti-Noise Foam Hardwood Floor Protectors, Set of 4, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTFHGGL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BowbDb5RHQSKB

They are sorbathane and have completely dampened the keyboard noise through the floor. Our tv room is right under the piano and the family used to complain about the noise when I played and these eliminated all complaints. Also percy64 is incorrect, though it may look like a continuous bar, there are actually short feet that come out from below the bar that fit the cups just fine. The front legs are a pretty close fit for these cups but are basically perfect. However if you want a little play another 1/2โ€ diameter might be good.

Well - I stand corrected but I am amazed they fit. They must have very shallow cups - there doesn't seem to be more than 3mm although I guess they would work with the leg itself resting on the rim of the cup if necessary

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2859040
06/16/19 06:29 AM
06/16/19 06:29 AM
P
Pete14 Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P

You are forgiven, percy64; for only the brave stand........corrected!

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2859112
06/16/19 10:53 AM
06/16/19 10:53 AM
G
Grazilerimba Offline
Grazilerimba  Offline
G

Hi, please allow me to ask a quick question about this, as I can't fathom reading all pages of this thread. As far as the common consensus goes, does this piano have some kind of issue that is prevalent across the user base, like the "loud notes" issue with the NU1X? I remember seeing a YouTube video where someone had chords lock up the action or something, but I can't remember if it was with this model. I think when it comes to hybrid digitals, this would pretty much be the only one that I would consider, so I am curious. Thanks.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Grazilerimba] #2859123
06/16/19 11:15 AM
06/16/19 11:15 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
Hi, please allow me to ask a quick question about this, as I can't fathom reading all pages of this thread. As far as the common consensus goes, does this piano have some kind of issue that is prevalent across the user base, like the "loud notes" issue with the NU1X?

There have been no such issues. Unless you consider the N1X being a dust magnet since everyone seems to have that issue.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-38 Completed
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Grazilerimba] #2859146
06/16/19 11:53 AM
06/16/19 11:53 AM
Europe
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Europe
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
Hi, please allow me to ask a quick question about this, as I can't fathom reading all pages of this thread. As far as the common consensus goes, does this piano have some kind of issue that is prevalent across the user base, like the "loud notes" issue with the NU1X?

The loud note issues of the NU1 and NU1X has been fixed.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2859256
06/16/19 04:21 PM
06/16/19 04:21 PM
K
kipdent Offline
kipdent  Offline
K

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by nax
What I noticed is that if you play other music through the N1X speakers (or other VST pianos) it sounds a bit thin/tinny. I guess reason is the way stereo signals are distributed over the 4 channels of the N1X speaker system. There is probably some room for optimization with better firmware, but I don't expect Yamaha to do that. Maybe it is also just personal sound preference.

I did notice this. But I've used the speakers all of about 1 hour total since getting my N1X - the rest of the time with my headphones. If I cared more about speakers, I might try sending the CFX sound to my mini-PC and process it using a dedicated reverb app like EastWest Spaces II before sending the sound back to the N1X's speakers, to see if anything can be done to improve things there a bit, but as it is, it would get me a near zero return.

Hello, everyoneโ€”Iโ€™ve taken delivery of my new N1X, and had a few questions Iโ€™d like to ask the group. Before I do, I will say that overall I am extremely impressed. The feel of the keyboard is my single favorite aspect (and why I purchased it), and though the sound is extremely impressive to me overall, I do have a complaintโ€”Iโ€™m experiencing what I think is a distortion through its internal speakers. I have a couple of other issues Iโ€™d like to ask the group about, too.

Here are the three issues Iโ€™ve discovered, starting with the distorted sound:

1) I believe someone else also complained of hearing what to them sounded like a slight audible distortion when playing through the built-in speakers, so maybe Iโ€™m not alone in this. To hear it, I donโ€™t have to have the volume turned up all the way to notice it. When I first heard it, I thought maybe the music stand was loose or I had inadvertently left something on the top of the piano that was โ€œbuzzingโ€ at certain frequencies, but neither was true. This distorted sound does *not* occur when using headphones (though I guess that is a different sample?). My heart sank when I first noticed it, and thought maybe something was wrong with one (or more) of the internal speaker drivers, but then I discovered this odd behavior: The Bosendorfer sample exhibits it less, and the one VST I own does not exhibit it at all! So what could be the culprit, here?

2) The fallboard cannot be raised all the way upright (where it might touch the little rubber bumpers) without it physically contacting the backside of the black keys. If I donโ€™t pull the fallboard slightly back away from the piano, the black keys actually rub on the fallboard, and you can feel that resistance when playing. Iโ€™ve enclosed a picture where you can see this, and have noted the constriction of the red felt by the black keys when the when I try to โ€œseatโ€ the fallboard all the way up. Itโ€™s hard for me to imagine the point of rotation could be adjusted, but I am hoping a technician could address this.
Fallboard image

3) Compared to my acoustic piano (a Yamaha U1 upright), the pedals seem a bit noisy at the pedal itself. I notice this especially when a pedal is depressed a little off-axis and it moves sideways against the side of the slot it resides inโ€”it then makes a clicking or clunking noise against the pedal box. Both the amount of the sideways play in the pedal and the sound it makes is disconcerting. Has anyone else noticed this, and do you think this could play in the pedalโ€™s movement could be adjusted? (By the way, the adjustable support foot is firmly agains the floor.)

Thanks for any input, and I really enjoy this thread!

Last edited by kipdent; 06/16/19 04:22 PM.
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2859261
06/16/19 04:31 PM
06/16/19 04:31 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
3000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Not sure about 1 since I mostly play through headphones. As to 2, it must be something wrong with your piano. Hereโ€™s mine:
[Linked Image]

There are at least 2mm from the back of the black keys to the fallboard when vertical and touching the rubber stoppers.

Regarding 3, Iโ€™ve noticed a clicking noise on damper pedal up due to the rubber thing that emulates grand piano damper resistance. Itโ€™s a bit annoying. Not sure if youโ€™re talking about the same noise though.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/16/19 04:31 PM.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2859267
06/16/19 04:43 PM
06/16/19 04:43 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Offline
3000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Hereโ€™s the slightly louder damper up click on mine:

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2859309
06/16/19 06:48 PM
06/16/19 06:48 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
The fallboard issue sounds like a milder version on mine where the pins had to be adjusted because it wasnโ€™t sitting correctly (though mine actually came off completely).

On a separate topic, my key that wasnโ€™t working right โ€œhealed itselfโ€ which Iโ€™m actually not super happy about. I donโ€™t like things that mysteriously donโ€™t work correctly and then just as mysteriously work fine. It doesnโ€™t breed trust.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Chrispy] #2859347
06/16/19 08:42 PM
06/16/19 08:42 PM
K
kipdent Offline
kipdent  Offline
K

CyberGene and Chrispy--

First, CyberGene, the noise you posted in your video is *exactly* what I'm referring to! Thank you, and I guess this is normal and something one has to live with if they find it annoying. Also, I greatly appreciate the image you posted of the space between the fallboard and the back of the black keys--yours certainly looks like that the way it should be.

Second, Chrispy--thank you very much for your post that implies the pins that hold the fallboard can be adjusted--that's hopeful! It sounds like your issue was even more severe than mine, so I'm hoping my issue can be fixed by a technician.

Thank you both again for helping me--what a great community. I have a technician coming tomorrow, and I'm hoping everything can be fixed during that visit. I will report back!

Page 62 of 66 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin face dead/alive
by JoelW. 07/18/19 08:59 PM
What is this piece?
by pianoloverus. 07/18/19 07:13 PM
Roland GP-607 -- resonance note
by Charles Cohen. 07/18/19 06:11 PM
yamaha or pramberger, dilemma!
by Sacha. 07/18/19 03:55 PM
Concert grand for 10k?
by nilsragnar. 07/18/19 03:32 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,069
Posts2,849,608
Members93,922
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission