Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
134 registered members (atamgp, AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, Ankee, Apoll0, anotherscott, Antihero, 8ude, Abdol, 29 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: awesome10] #2858871
06/15/19 04:20 PM
06/15/19 04:20 PM
Norway
S
Skjalg Offline
Skjalg  Offline
S

Norway
You have a reasonable budget to work with.

Joe80 gave a good advice further up in the thread:
For a venue, I wouldn't go for any restored piano unless it had extensive rebuilding work done, meaning the installation of a new soundboard, and a new tuning plank, and, for a venue, a new action. Anything less than that isn't going to be reliable enough.

to which you responded
I'll discard the idea of a restored piano then.

You can find pianos that are fairly new, and very gently played, that are sold due to the original owner passed away. I have seen a few such cases on the market. An example was a 1 year old Shigeru Kawai asking 50% - 60% of the new price. But you must be prepared to wait. I have also seen a Steinway D, hardly used, at 60% of new price. But these cases are rare, and you would normally not be the first to here about the deal, unless you are very specific and vocal about what you want. About a year ago a friend observed a 79 year old lady that walked into the Steinway shop and bought one just like that. She had always desired one, and for whatever reason, that day she could afford one.

I play twice a year on an old Steinway D, with chipped ivory, legs have been broken, and generally not in very good condition. However, it is still decent to play on.

I’m no expert, but personally I would rather go for something that are a few years old, that for whatever reason came on the market at a favourable price within your budget.

Last edited by Skjalg; 06/15/19 04:21 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: awesome10] #2858874
06/15/19 04:31 PM
06/15/19 04:31 PM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
I can personally recommend a 9' Bluthner!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: PhilipInChina] #2858905
06/15/19 06:23 PM
06/15/19 06:23 PM
UK
A
awesome10 Offline OP
awesome10  Offline OP
A

UK
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I can personally recommend a 9' Bluthner!

A new model 1 or an old pre war Bluthner with the old patent action?

Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: awesome10] #2859041
06/16/19 06:32 AM
06/16/19 06:32 AM
Vienna, Austria
O
OE1FEU Offline
OE1FEU  Offline
O

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by awesome10

Edit: I was having a discussion with someone regarding C Bechstein Concert pianos and Shigerus. I was told that Bechstein Concerts are slightly more expensive (I can attest to that) but generally have a much better and consistent voice quality and construction. Is there any element of truth in it?

https://www.bechstein.com/fileadmin...CB_Academy_Katalog_Produkt_EN_Screen.pdf

is Bechstein's explanation of the difference between those two lines of instruments. However, it's not quite up to date in the sense that now both Concert and Academy series instruments feature hammerheads from Bechstein's own production line.

Also, you will find that they differ in the sizes they come in, i.e. A228 vs. C234 and there is no full concert grand in the Academy series.

Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: awesome10] #2859054
06/16/19 07:26 AM
06/16/19 07:26 AM
England/Switzerland
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member
AJB  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

England/Switzerland
If you want to try a 7ft Phoenix, with Carbon Fibre soundboard, you are welcome to try mine. It is well prepped. I bought CF because my music room is an unpredictable environment. If you want to hop on a train out of Cannon Street or London Bridge to Paddock Wood station, (50 mins) I will pick you up. Send me a PM if you want.

I've had all sorts of pianos, including Boston, S&S, Bosie. They all have pro's and cons. My Phoenix was bought new and is about 2 years old. It's been very stable.

Currently playing 2017 C212 with carbon fibre soundboard, WNG action. Working on Bach, Beethoven, Grieg mainly.
Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: AJB] #2859076
06/16/19 08:44 AM
06/16/19 08:44 AM
UK
A
awesome10 Offline OP
awesome10  Offline OP
A

UK
AJB , thanks a lot for the offer. I'll think about it and let you know.

Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: awesome10] #2859458
06/17/19 06:12 AM
06/17/19 06:12 AM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Don't buy a restored Steinway from that dealer you posted, it won't suit your needs. The Blüthner concert grands never used a patent action, they were always an erard-type.

Usually I'm all for rebuilt and restored pianos, but in this case I would say you are best to go for as new as possible. Please note I'm talking only in relation to the UK market. The US is a different kettle of fish all together.

I'm thinking in terms of you finding the piano that is going to be acceptable to as many pianists as play it. If it's your own personal piano it's a different matter, but for a venue you have to find something that everyone will like, or at least that everyone will not hate. That's why I suggested staying with Yamaha and Kawai, but of course if you can find a recently made Blüthner for a price that fits, that's also good too.

I don't know much about the Phoenix pianos other than what I've read online, so I don't have an opinion on them. Certainly the concept is intriguing, and on videos they sound very good, but I've never played one. It's on my list of things to do.

Re: Choosing a 7ft grand in London [Re: awesome10] #2859694
06/17/19 06:03 PM
06/17/19 06:03 PM
England/Switzerland
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member
AJB  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

England/Switzerland
The advantage of the Phoenix for venues is that they are very stable. Halls tend to have heat and humidity all over the place. That pretty much mirrors my home environment and so I find the stability very useful. I also went for stainless steel strings. You can't actually tell the the piano has lots of CF from casual observation. I have had a lot of pianos and frankly I find the CF pretty much indistinguishable from spruce.

The one thing I would say is that the 7ft Phoenix is a much more powerful piano than most of that size. Mine has maple veneer inside the case and lid and it looks very beautiful. The WNG action is very good indeed, but there have been variations over the last few years so you MUST play one. Regarding looks, that said I had a Fazioli for a short while when I owned a studio and very little rivalled the build quality and beauty of that, but way outside of your budget.

Phoenix v Steingreaber? Steingreaber is better built and more cosmetically perfect. Big price difference though and you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blindfolded test.

When I was playing seriously for study ( I was not very good sadly) I mainly learnt on Yamaha pianos at a music school. They appear to be indestructible. They do have a sound signature that suits certain rep especially I find.

If the piano is being used mainly for church services. no one will be critical really, whatever it sounds like or whatever you choose. If it is also being used for recitals by good pianists as well, then that stability is very important, unless you have someone doing a really good maintenance programme several times a year. Halls always save money on heating, so typically you get big temp and humidity swings. I used to do lots of church services when I lived in Guildford as primary wedding and event pianist / second string organist. Church pianos are almost always dreadful. Choose wisely and good luck.

Currently playing 2017 C212 with carbon fibre soundboard, WNG action. Working on Bach, Beethoven, Grieg mainly.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Maybe I’m not too old but I STINK!
by Mils. 10/22/19 02:25 PM
Good budget microphone for piano recording
by Ankee. 10/22/19 02:21 PM
Yamaha's are considered bright..... why?
by U3piano. 10/22/19 12:01 PM
Notation question
by pianoloverus. 10/22/19 11:52 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,668
Posts2,882,043
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission