2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, EVC2017, 3 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I have been taking private piano lessons for almost two years. I believe keeping my playing/practicing consistent is important to achieve my goals. I travel quite often which kind of puts a dent on my progress. My piano instructor agrees. I am looking for a portable keyboard that I can easily take on flights. At home we have a Roland LX-17 for my daily practice. For better portability, it seems to me that I should stick to keyboards with around 61 keys. So, I have been looking at the Roland Piano Go, although I have not tried one in person. There is also the Yamaha NP-12, but from video reviews it seems like that Roland Piano Go offers better features such as more realistic keys (although the action apparently is still subpar) and it weighs only 8.6 lb. My choosing criteria are: (1) portability - compact size/weight, (2) Good action. I will be using headphones most of the time in hotel rooms so having great sound from internal speakers is not that important.

Are there any other keyboards out there that I should be considering?

Thank you!

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 06/14/19 06:32 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
V
V
Man, that 61-key Roland:GO piano looks pretty awesome.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
(1) Portability
(2) Good action

What do you mean by “portability”?
a. Fits in your car?
b. Airline friendly?
c. Fits in your backpack?

All compromises - and not necessarily “practice” friendly.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
have wrestled with this issue myself for some time now. so far, we've located vacation rentals that had basic console-sized uprights (one had a mediocre spinet, another had a nearly new medium sized yamaha grand), but it's obviously a big limiting factor on where we can travel without me dealing with piano withdrawal.

my conclusions thus far, there aren't any good weighted-action portables smaller than 73 keys long or about 10 kilos in weight. yamaha has a 73 key weighted action (p-121) around that weight. for airline travel it would require a hard case weighing about the same as it does. dexibel makes something about the same size, more $$, but they're difficult to find in the u.s. to test play. there are a number of options for fully weighted actions once you make the jump to 88 keys, some are fairly light in weight, and casio has just come out with models that are considerably slimmed down in overall dimensions.

am now considering 61 to 76 - key workstation keyboards, but even there, the casio CTX- models (700, 3000, 5000) can't be found in our area to test play. the roland 'go piano' action was simply too insubstantial for me, and that might be the case with the next batch of keyboards in my search.

Originally Posted by vara411
Man, that 61-key Roland:GO piano looks pretty awesome.

I bought one and returned it. Awful keyboard action. Felt like a cheap plastic toy.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
This one exceeds my budget at almost $900 USD, but what do you guys think about it?

https://pianodevoyage.com/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/ajTGlaebUAE

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 06/16/19 02:15 AM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
This one exceeds my budget at almost $900 USD, but what do you guys think about it?

Think it’s $300 per 24 keys? Still a bit expensive. Good idea, maybe if the price comes down, it’s robust enough for travel and use, and becomes available to buy, available at lower price. Not for me there’s always alternatives unless you’re in the wilderness, and then why play piano.

R
R
Hi Everyone,
I was also on the market for the same kind of DP,
Portable, short, light, easy to carry by plane...and above all, with weighted keys, similar to a “ normal DP “

Unfortunately, currently, , there is no DP With 61 keys with weighted action that ticks all the boxes....
The Go Piano is really far from my expectations, “ action wise”... the keys are spring loaded.... impossible with my basic experience to play and learn with it.
I tried it multiple times though.

I went to the p-121 Yamaha , 73 keys, with a flight case adapted to it ( swanflight )
In my opinion, it’s the best compromise for the time being.
( personally, with pianoteq because the build in sounds are not very good)

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

Think it’s $300 per 24 keys? Still a bit expensive. Good idea, maybe if the price comes down, it’s robust enough for travel and use, and becomes available to buy, available at lower price. Not for me there’s always alternatives unless you’re in the wilderness, and then why play piano.

I think the real value of this is for people who travel by plane. It may be the only way to get more than 37 keys in a carry-on. Saving the cost of checked/oversized luggage and the cost of an ATA approved case could quickly justify the cost of this. Plus you wouldn't have to lug anything heavy around... those ATA cases have significant weight even before you put a keyboard in them!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission