Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (ando, akc42, amyram, AntonioC, 36251, AndrewJCW, amad23, 28 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce #2858957
06/15/19 10:09 PM
06/15/19 10:09 PM
E
enigmaestro Offline OP
enigmaestro  Offline OP
E

Hello. I am new here.
I was wondering what concerto I should play next. I have played Mozart's A Major concerto and Saint Saens' 2nd concerto.

I am playing Aufschwung by Schumann, Beethoven sonata 3, and Bach's c minor toccata.

My teacher has a strange difficulty system, but I have proved it right every time (difficulty is subjective). For example, I played Chopin's 2nd ballade last year.

My teacher has currently given the choices of all Beethoven's concertos and the Schumann, but she is open to more. Not Chopins, Bachs, or extremely difficult ones either. I also want a slightly more obscure concerto, and that's why I am leaning away from the Schumann and Beethovens 3 and 5. I am considering beethoven 4. Thank you in advance.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2858991
06/15/19 11:29 PM
06/15/19 11:29 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
C
CharlesXX Offline
CharlesXX  Offline
C

Adelaide, South Australia
Look, I know that I'm going to sound grumpy (I am in real life my wife tells me) and I don't mean to. So apologies in advance.

But surely a pianist of your experience, proven ability, and technical expertise must be able to figure out where to go next.

From all the listening you have done, is there nothing on the back-burner, nothing where you have said to yourself: "I would love to have a go at that, or maybe that one day."

I know that I have been no help at all, except to get you to delve into your own musical experience and interests for an answer to your question.

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2858993
06/15/19 11:36 PM
06/15/19 11:36 PM
E
enigmaestro Offline OP
enigmaestro  Offline OP
E

No apologies needed. I agree with you about having to choose on my own, but I was just looking for some other recommendations, or some difficulties I should know about for the concertos I mentioned.

Thank you for the response.

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859001
06/16/19 12:32 AM
06/16/19 12:32 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Off the top of my head.

Shostakovich No.2.

Bartók No. 3.

Prokofiev No.1.

Liszt A minor, which isn't overplayed.

If you want obscure but "accessible"...

Dvorak op. 33

Rimsky-Korsakov op. 30

Balakirev No.1

Last edited by johnstaf; 06/16/19 12:42 AM.
Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859007
06/16/19 12:52 AM
06/16/19 12:52 AM
P
PianoYos Offline
PianoYos  Offline
P

Some nice suggestions already...

I'd add the Mendelssohn Concertos there too.

Also for "obscure", I'd add Kabalevsky's Concerto in D Major. I personally don't think it has the greatest structure, and the second movement is practically a rip-off of Dvorak's Humoresque, but it is obscure and it's got some really golden melodies.

I would've suggested Shostakovich and Rimsky-Korsakov too, but they're up there already. I wanted to say Medtner too but his concertos sound extremely difficult.

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859056
06/16/19 07:36 AM
06/16/19 07:36 AM
L
Lokman Offline
Lokman  Offline
L

I cannot recommend Mozart's piano concertos more highly. Play as many of them as you can. They may not be as flashy as the great Romantic ones, but especially the last dozen or so (in chronological order) are masterpieces, with plenty of technical challenges as well.

BTW, which Mozart A major concerto did you play? There's K 414 and K 488; don't overlook the earlier one :-)

Good luck!

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859071
06/16/19 08:19 AM
06/16/19 08:19 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by enigmaestro
I also want a slightly more obscure concerto, and that's why I am leaning away from the Schumann and Beethovens 3 and 5. I am considering beethoven 4.

Beethoven 4 is more popular than 3 or 5 these days. Just sayin'. The more Mozartian 2 is the least popular, with good reason.

If you're going the popular route, the Grieg or Ravel G major or Prokofiev 1 would be a change from you've already done. If you really want to go obscure, there's Ginastera or Villa Lobos (quite a few to choose from). Or even Scriabin, which is too little played, probably because it sounds like a Russian version of Chopin and doesn't sound flashy.

For really obscure, there's Stenhammar and Hannikainen......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-HOwvjU6Xw

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859086
06/16/19 09:04 AM
06/16/19 09:04 AM
Brittany, France
P
petebfrance Offline
petebfrance  Offline
P

Brittany, France
Perhaps some Anton Rubinstein would fit. Here is his piano concerto no 4 in D minor which I think could do with a bit more attention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLpg39XnBaQ
said to be influential with the likes of Tchaikovsky and possibly Rachmaninov. I've no idea how complex it would be to play - well above my level, admittedly.

regards
Pete
Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859106
06/16/19 10:37 AM
06/16/19 10:37 AM
S
Sidokar Offline
Sidokar  Offline
S

Hello. I am new here.
I was wondering what concerto I should play next. I have played Mozart's A Major concerto and Saint Saens' 2nd concerto.

I am playing Aufschwung by Schumann, Beethoven sonata 3, and Bach's c minor toccata.

My teacher has a strange difficulty system, but I have proved it right every time (difficulty is subjective). For example, I played Chopin's 2nd ballade last year.

My teacher has currently given the choices of all Beethoven's concertos and the Schumann, but she is open to more. Not Chopins, Bachs, or extremely difficult ones either. I also want a slightly more obscure concerto, and that's why I am leaning away from the Schumann and Beethovens 3 and 5. I am considering beethoven 4. Thank you in advance.

In the not so well known, you could try the Clara Schumann one; she wrote it when she was 15 !

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859154
06/16/19 12:19 PM
06/16/19 12:19 PM
E
enigmaestro Offline OP
enigmaestro  Offline OP
E

Thanks for all the responses.
I know difficulty is subjective, but can someone Liszt the first movements (my teacher usually goes with the first movements for competitions) of the following concertos in order of general difficulty:
Liszt 1, 2, 3
Beethoven 3, 4, 5
Schumann

I also have small hands (barely reaching a tenth but can't in fast sections) since I am still in my early teenage years.

Again, thank you for the responses.

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859169
06/16/19 01:15 PM
06/16/19 01:15 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
I don't think someone with relatively little concerto experience should learn a very rarely played one like some of those suggested at this point. I don't think you'll have much chance to perform one of those. Also, unless you really love one of the obscure concertos, I think you'll have much greater satisfaction learning one of the masterpiece concertos by Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, etc.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/16/19 01:19 PM.
Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: pianoloverus] #2859221
06/16/19 03:22 PM
06/16/19 03:22 PM
E
enigmaestro Offline OP
enigmaestro  Offline OP
E

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't think someone with relatively little concerto experience should learn a very rarely played one like some of those suggested at this point. I don't think you'll have much chance to perform one of those. Also, unless you really love one of the obscure concertos, I think you'll have much greater satisfaction learning one of the masterpiece concertos by Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, etc.

Yes, that's why I will most likely go with a Beethoven concerto- but which one?

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859245
06/16/19 04:01 PM
06/16/19 04:01 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
You want an unusual Beethoven Concerto? The one in D major.

Semipro Tech
Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859247
06/16/19 04:02 PM
06/16/19 04:02 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City

If your teacher thinks you're ready for any of them, why not go with the one you like best? Are you worried about difficulty or do you have to learn it relatively quickly?

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: pianoloverus] #2859302
06/16/19 06:17 PM
06/16/19 06:17 PM
E
enigmaestro Offline OP
enigmaestro  Offline OP
E

If your teacher thinks you're ready for any of them, why not go with the one you like best? Are you worried about difficulty or do you have to learn it relatively quickly?

I guess I want something that's less played and competitinons. As I said, I will probably play Beethoven's 4th Concerto.

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859315
06/16/19 07:03 PM
06/16/19 07:03 PM
E
enigmaestro Offline OP
enigmaestro  Offline OP
E

How would the first movements of Beethoven 4, 5, and Schumann compare in difficulty?

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2859317
06/16/19 07:06 PM
06/16/19 07:06 PM
S
Sidokar Offline
Sidokar  Offline
S

I guess I want something that's less played and competitinons. As I said, I will probably play Beethoven's 4th Concerto.

I would not qualify Beethoven 4 as significantly less played. Maybe slightly less than 3 and 5. The least played would probably be number 2. But at the end you also have to feel comfortable with the piece. Each of them is quite different so it is also a pianistic choice, more important than the frequency.

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2860198
06/18/19 08:19 PM
06/18/19 08:19 PM
E
enigmaestro Offline OP
enigmaestro  Offline OP
E

Hello everyone, thanks for all the responses so far.
My piano teacher has made me go with the Schumann (despite giving me a choice prior). I'm ok with it, since I like it, and when I asked my teacher, she said it wasn't overplayed at my age level.
Again, thanks for all the responses.

Re: I'm new here. Question: what should I play for my next conce [Re: enigmaestro] #2860529
06/19/19 04:37 PM
06/19/19 04:37 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
The Mendelssohn G minor is an old war horse.
The Schumann concerto is great.If you can play the
opening section in the piano well.Then congratulations! Then go ahead and do the concerto.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heintzman & Co. project opinion
by D.P.. 10/15/19 05:56 PM
Playing by ear
by KuroMisaka. 10/15/19 02:47 PM
Why I’m convinced a good teacher is ESSENTIAL
by WeakLeftHand. 10/15/19 02:40 PM
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,537
Posts2,879,486
Members94,679
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission