Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Bett, astrotoy, brennbaer, akc42, Charles Cohen, AZNpiano, 36251, Chopin Acolyte, 11 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Im new here! Technique/theory questions #2858639
06/14/19 07:27 PM
06/14/19 07:27 PM
P
Perchperkins Offline OP
Perchperkins  Offline OP
P

Greetings all!

Im new to the piano forums, and relatively new to piano playing, Ive started playing a year ago and take private lessons at my local community college. So far Ive learned..

All my major scales and chromatic scale.
I know but have not mastered in both hands my major, minor, diminished, augmented and suspended chords, along with first and second inversions. but given a few seconds I can easily formulate them.

I am very fortunate enough to be able to play on my schools 1976, fully refurbished, steinway Model B. An INCREDIBLE piano. the action is incredibly even across every key and it is easy to play it as softly as possible, which I do often.

Since I've been practicing, I play every scale and chord as softly as the piano will let me, sometimes barley audible, while focusing in to make sure that when I play chords softly, each hammer hits the key at precisely the same time (sometimes when playing slow and soft one or two hammers lag behind, and some don't register at all sometimes). My logic is that its easier to play loud and fast than it is to play soft and fast with an even touch across all the keys. once you learn to play soft and fast and smoothly, playing harder and louder is a piece of cake, however doing it the other way around is a no no.

my fingers gradually curl, and arch the sharpest towards the front half of each finger. I keep my wrist in line with my arm, which is almost parallel to the floor.

Are there any exercises to help accelerate learning chords on both hands? me left hand can play chords effortlessly, and my right hand is just starting and has not developed any real feel for chords.

Also, to all you experienced classical pianists, what would you tell your younger self to avoid technique-wise if you could go back and fix something?

I realize a lot of people play incorrectly early in their life and it cripples them. Its like learning the bass and treble clef as "F.A.C.E and "All cows Eat Grass) The letters representing the notes between the lines. I told my teacher this and he said "thats like saying, here im going to teach you how to play basketball and have you sit in a wheelchair for your whole career"

Cheers!
Nick

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Im new here! Technique/theory questions [Re: Perchperkins] #2858729
06/15/19 05:34 AM
06/15/19 05:34 AM
S
Sidokar Offline
Sidokar  Offline
S

Not sure from where you got these fuzzy ideas. Each dynamic level come with its set of challenges. I dont know what fast is for you but when you go really fast you have to lighten the touch to make the speed possible. You should do most of your work at normal volume and then alternate different gradations to get used to vary pp, mp, p, f, ...if you play your scales only at very low volume you will not build the ability to play them fast at normal volume. In classical music chords are often times not played evenly but by emphasizing one particular note, the melody usually but could be an inner voice as well. Anyway those are more advanced skills for later.

Re: Im new here! Technique/theory questions [Re: Perchperkins] #2858757
06/15/19 08:20 AM
06/15/19 08:20 AM
P
PianoYos Offline
PianoYos  Offline
P

I'm by no means an experienced classical pianist. I've done everything with no formal training, but I have a hunch that might give me some better insights as to the dos and don'ts when you first start learning, because, as you might guess, I've had to struggle for a long time with correcting bad technique, and even relearning pieces completely because I had done so incorrectly in the beginning.

Originally Posted by Perchperkins
My logic is that its easier to play loud and fast than it is to play soft and fast with an even touch across all the keys. once you learn to play soft and fast and smoothly, playing harder and louder is a piece of cake, however doing it the other way around is a no no.

I sort of agree with this, actually. When you practice loud and fast (which used to be my m.o.), your wrists stiffen, as do the palms of your hands, and that sets you up for very bad habits in the future, and makes it difficult for you to play even basic passages in a legato way. Now, I wouldn't say playing harder and louder is easier - there's actually a huge distinction between producing a loud sound, and producing a full sonority. It's the latter you want, and the former is unpleasant to the ears because it just sounds like banging.

(If you're curious what the difference is between "loud" and "full", check out this video of Domingo and Michael Bolton doing a duet singing Ave Maria. Not piano, but Domingo's voice is full and beautiful, and, sorry to say, but Michael Bolton's is just loud.)

my fingers gradually curl, and arch the sharpest towards the front half of each finger. I keep my wrist in line with my arm, which is almost parallel to the floor.

I'd be careful with keeping your wrist too rigid, because it'll hinder you from playing fast scales and arpeggios. It's better if you get used to rotating your wrists according the passing of your thumb when you play these things.

Are there any exercises to help accelerate learning chords on both hands?

Personally, I think the best way is to sight-read some simple waltzes. They're great for learning chords. Although, if you're looking to focus on playing chords in your right hand, the only piece I can think of is Chopin's Nouvelle Etude No. 2 - the entire piece is in chords for the right hand. I say this with some hesitancy though, because it's actually a very deceptively difficult piece to play - I only mention it so that you can familiarize yourself with playing chords in the right hand.

Also, to all you experienced classical pianists, what would you tell your younger self to avoid technique-wise if you could go back and fix something?

I realize a lot of people play incorrectly early in their life and it cripples them.

Yes, that would be me...

There are quite a few things I'd tell my younger self:

• Don't start off with Chopin's Heroic Polonaise
  • Think of having ten independent fingers, not two hands
  • Try playing with as little stress in the wrists and forearms as possible
  • Practice your scales and arpeggios, even if they're boring and seem stupid
  • Learn good fingering

That being said, some things I'm thankful to my younger self for, and things I think you should do:

• Listen to as many composers and as many works by them as you can
  • Listen to as many pianists as you can (especially the dead ones)
  • Always remember that piano playing should be primarily fun and enjoyable - it's a passion, an art, and with proper training, the piano and music will become your best friends in times of greatest need

I hope this helps somewhat smile

Last edited by PianoYos; 06/15/19 08:30 AM.
Re: Im new here! Technique/theory questions [Re: Perchperkins] #2858786
06/15/19 11:10 AM
06/15/19 11:10 AM
P
Perchperkins Offline OP
Perchperkins  Offline OP
P

Hello PianoYos!

Your insight is fantastic! Thinking about having 10 independent fingers has given me incredible insight and actually changed my point of view compared to thinking about having two hands.

As for my wrist being rigid, I only keep it rigid when playing chords. When I practice chords, I play the chord, then my hand immediately goes into my lap and relaxes. Then my hand goes back up to playing the next chord, and then back in my lap. This keeps my wrist from getting strained, and allows me to simply drop my hand into a chord position effortlessly. I also do chromatic chord progressions. My left hand is great and my right hand is just starting to catch up.

As for scales and fingerings, My teacher is adamant about having good fingering, and I DO rotate my wrist in accordance to the passing of my thumb. I also learn to play the scales starting going up, and starting going down. When I first learned them, it was very easy to just go up and down two octaves without thinking about it. Then my instructor said, play the scale but start by going down, not up, and I froze and couldn't do it.

Also, practicing scales on the steinway is far from boring. I love seeing how quiet I can play them. Its really fun! Practicing them on my Yamaha digital piano however.........

As for composers and listening, Im very into HI-Fi. I build my own single ended tube amp with vintage Tamara output transformers, and I have a 3.5" sony "coral holes baskets" from the 60's which sound incredible. I love to listen to music! However... I really only listen to krystian Zimmerman and it is very difficult to listen to anyone else after listening to him and his recordings.

As for sight reading, I can't do it at all. Im going to be working on that soon. Ive always been very ambitious and tried to learn Chopins Scherzo #2 and that didn't end well. My teacher wanted me to learn etude in e minor, however I lost interest as it was a very slow and boring piece to me.

I have started learning Nocturne 9 No. 2. I absolutely love it and am determined to finish it.

Last edited by Perchperkins; 06/15/19 11:10 AM.
Re: Im new here! Technique/theory questions [Re: Perchperkins] #2858799
06/15/19 11:57 AM
06/15/19 11:57 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

New York City
It is much better to have a good teacher demonstrate and correct the student than trying to put all the above into words. I think there are many misconceptions in most of the above posts but the words make if very difficult to discern what the posters mean. I do think think the OP is overthinking his approach to technique at this point in his study.

I definitely wouldn't advise playing scales etc. very softly at this stage and have never heard that recommended by a teacher. Scales are difficult enough for beginners. and I think one should concentrate on evenness and the thumb passing for a long time. Just play with good tone at some mp to mf level.

Re: Im new here! Technique/theory questions [Re: pianoloverus] #2858813
06/15/19 12:43 PM
06/15/19 12:43 PM
P
Perchperkins Offline OP
Perchperkins  Offline OP
P

A few notes....

im just focusing on technique adamantly because I want to set my self up to be as good as I can be.

also, I do play softly and moderately and loud, but im putting an emphasis on playing softly because when it comes to playing softly, its often difficult to register each note evenly and accurately with an even tone. Playing softly is where the most little glitches happen. ALSO I used to play guitar so my left hand needs to learn to play softly. I can easily play fast and firmly with good temperament in my left hand, but when I go to play softly, everything falls apart. My right hand is far better at this.

Let me be clear, I play moderately, loudly, and softly, as well as staccato but I put an emphasis on playing softly because it is harder to play extremely quietly and get every hammer in every scale and chord to register at the perfect time.

Last edited by Perchperkins; 06/15/19 12:44 PM.
Re: Im new here! Technique/theory questions [Re: Perchperkins] #2859058
06/16/19 07:41 AM
06/16/19 07:41 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
I think your main goal for the first years should be to learn to use arm weight and the gravity when playing the piano. You don't use your arm weight when you play pp, quite the opposite, you learn to hold your hands in the air when you play pp, so it's not what I would recommend you to focus on now.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
If I can only play 30 mins per day...
by sherrycherrysc. 08/23/19 11:26 PM
My adult piano learning journey
by Alston9981. 08/23/19 10:05 PM
Rebuilding or vandalism?
by dogperson. 08/23/19 07:40 PM
Time to move on (method books)
by Tom97. 08/23/19 06:31 PM
ADHD Student
by sonataplayer. 08/23/19 05:27 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,696
Posts2,862,000
Members94,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission