Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Bett, astrotoy, brennbaer, akc42, Charles Cohen, AZNpiano, 36251, Chopin Acolyte, 11 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 42 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 41 42
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858578
06/14/19 03:51 PM
06/14/19 03:51 PM
J
Jethro Online content
500 Post Club Member
Jethro  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J

Originally Posted by Chopin Acolyte
Okay, here's what I did, being the crazy me...

I ordered Yamaha P-515 from <a nation-wide business with a branch in my city, with the name similar to...uh... centrum for guitars>.

Since it's a slab and probably in a warehouse near my city, the shipping is free.

They have free returns so if I don't like it, I can take it back in the shop in original packaging. I will know this within a couple of hours messing around with it.

Whether I like it or not, I will post the result here. Especially for JoeT who seemed very insistent on it.

Good for you man! Give it a go!

Last edited by Jethro; 06/14/19 03:52 PM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858583
06/14/19 04:04 PM
06/14/19 04:04 PM
South Coast UK
P
pmh Offline
pmh  Offline
P

South Coast UK
Absolutely, really look forward to your views on the Yammy P-151.

Paul

Kemble Compact Acoustic Piano, Yamaha CVP 709 Polished White, Pianoteq Standard, Galaxy Vintage D.
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Groove On] #2858595
06/14/19 05:00 PM
06/14/19 05:00 PM
Montreal, QC
R
rio197 Offline
rio197  Offline
R

Montreal, QC
Originally Posted by Groove On
Yes your experience is normal. Digital pianos are not acoustic pianos. Get your hands on as many DPs as you can until you find one that is good enough for what you want to do. If none of them can pass your standards, stick with an acoustic piano.
[...]

My experience as well. I've gotten used to telling myself when trying out a DP if a model is close enough to an acoustic piano that I like before considering other aspects, e.g. price, weight, etc.

--
Roland FP-30, Yamaha CP73, Nektar Impact LX88+ on Cantabile
Previously: Yamaha P-115 (two years)
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: JoeT] #2858599
06/14/19 05:08 PM
06/14/19 05:08 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by JoeT
. . .You should demo Clavinova, Avant Grand, Concert Artist, Novus and Roland's offerings above 2,000 bucks. This gives you a good impression of what to look for in a digital piano. If a dealer doesn't carry these models, go to another one. Bring good headphones as well.

Then you check the following models in your price range for yourself:

Kawai ES8
Roland FP-90
Yamaha P-515

Talk in a forum full of computer nerds won't lead you anywhere. wink

Sensible advice. It won't help you compare a VPC1 + Pianoteq to any of the stand-alone DP's, though.

I like Pianoteq, but I'm no "golden ears" about piano tone or touch. The FP-90 I tried, with boosted string resonance, felt and sounded pretty good to me.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858603
06/14/19 05:12 PM
06/14/19 05:12 PM
Europe
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Europe

Whether I like it or not, I will post the result here. Especially for JoeT who seemed very insistent on it.

I was insistent on you trying out a lot stuff, not ordering what I prefer. Because your preferences might be entirely different.

Just one note: The pedal bundled with the P-515 is an on/off switch. If you didn't order the stand and three-pedal option with it, you should get the continuous damper pedal.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: JoeT] #2858606
06/14/19 05:18 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Chopin Acolyte Online content OP
Chopin Acolyte  Online Content OP

Tallahassee, FL

I was insistent on you trying out a lot stuff, not ordering what I prefer. Because your preferences might be entirely different.

Just one note: The pedal bundled with the P-515 is an on/off switch. If you didn't order the stand and three-pedal option with it, you should get the continuous damper pedal.

Nope, I ordered just the slab, in case I don't like it and need to return it. I will test out only the action and sound itself (including resonance, but without the pedal). If I like it I will order a stand and a triple pedal unit.

Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: MacMacMac] #2858607
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
No exceptions.
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I think MacMacMac is insinuating that the sounds made by Pianoteq are not "piano sounds" with the exception of Steinway D (Classical), Steingraeber (E-272), and the Ant Petrof (Prelude) virtual instruments..

Well, I'll just say that your words here make it seem like these are more pianos than my words on my old FP30. wink

Originally Posted by pianophil
7 - Pianoteq - Steinway D (Classical)
7 - Not too bad, but not as good as 5.
8 - Pianoteq - Steingraeber (E-272)
8 - Sounds good, but it lacks stereo spread.
10 - Pianoteq - Ant Petrof (Prelude)
10 - Refreshing after hearing those veiled, muffled pianos. But the sound placement moves around oddly.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858684
06/15/19 12:19 AM
06/15/19 12:19 AM
Tallahassee, FL

Tallahassee, FL
Today I practiced on the Steinway grand again and I think I know why it handles like a truck.

We know that the main mechanism that propagates pianist's signal (pressing the key) to the hammer is seesaw, i.e. a long piece of wood on a balance pin. Now I looked inside and I guess since it's a grand piano with long strings and we want to produce big sound, also the hammer must be bigger (heavier).

However, if that's the case, then the other end (key) needs to be counter-balanced, otherwise we would need too much force to even statically hold the key down. Indeed, when I looked from the side at some keys, the have holes in the wood and I suspect there might be something heavier than wood inside to provide about 50g of total force needed to statically press the key down. But that's not the end of the story. I distinguish between "static force" (take a stack of coins and start placing them on a key, one by one. Stop when the key starts to go down and weigh the coins needed for the key to go down) and "dynamic force". The second concept is related to the original weight of the whole mechanism that, in the end, moves the hammer.

Imagine this: take a seesaw and place 10 pounds on each side. Now place 1 more pound on one of the sides. How much force does it take to push the seesaw down on the other side? 1 pound. Now change the original 10 pounds to 100 pounds. The required force to push it down is still 1 pound, however, the overall speed at which you push it down is much slower, due to the mass you have to accelerate (a = F/m, bigger m means bigger F required to produce the same acceleration a). This is what I call dynamic force.

Now back to the piano: let's say we want to produce mf dynamic on a certain key. The dynamic is produced at a certain velocity just when the key passes some specific point on its way down. The velocity is integral of acceleration, and let's assume the acceleration is constant (force is constant and for the sake of simplicity, observed mass of the key does not change on the way down, that is, until we get to the escapement). Therefore a = F/m and v = a*t, where t is the time since we started pressing the key. The amount we moved the key down at time t is d = (1/2) a*t^2 and let's say the point at which hammer strikes the string is d0, therefore the time it took us to get there is t = sqrt(2d0/a). This gives us the velocity v = sqrt (2 d0 a) = sqrt(2*d0*F/m). Now we see that if the whole seesaw has more mass on its ends, it takes more force to get to the desired velocity.

What I'm not quite sure about is this: if I increase mass M of the hammer, and strike the string with the same velocity v0, wouldn't that produce more sound? Therefore it seems like two opposing phenomena: increasing mass requires more force to accelerate the hammer, but at the same time, less velocity is needed to produce the same volume...I might be wrong here and it all depends only on velocity of the hammer, no matter its mass, but then...why did we have to put heavier hammers in a bigger piano in the first place?

I'm sure there are many more details to this, e.g. the observed mass of the key changes on the way down (it certainly does at the escapement), the mass of the action on the other side of the key depends on the construction and hammer contributes only partially, there might be complicated curve of loudness of the tone vs velocity and mass that stroke the string, which needs to be accounted for, so this whole thing might be difficult to model theoretically and the corresponding integrals might not be expressible in closed form...

But if the main factor indeed is hammer weight (and corresponding counterweight in keys so that the overall static force is about 50g to push down a key), can digital pianos be modified so that more mass is added both to hammers and keys so it feels like a truck, too? ^_^

Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858690
06/15/19 01:10 AM
06/15/19 01:10 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

... the other end (key) needs to be counter-balanced ...

Traditionally, the weight used to counter-balance the key is called the "Pianist". Any decently designed and maintained piano needs one of these "Pianists" to operate properly. wink

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858693
06/15/19 01:24 AM
06/15/19 01:24 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

... can digital pianos be modified so that more mass is added both to hammers and keys so it feels like a truck, too? ^_^

You can add weight and also adjust the software to make it feel "heavier".

But if you do that, make sure the "Auto-Adjust" setting on your "Pianist" is ON or it will sound funny. You can find Auto-Adjust in Settings under Technique > Touch. If your "Pianist" is still having problems, check if your "Pianist" can be upgraded, usually an In-App purchase.

grin (yes it's one of those silly days ...)

... and just a touch more sarcasm to bring it back on topic .. What DPs really lack compared to Acoustics is a good "Pianist" laugh

We are the music makers,
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858694
06/15/19 01:25 AM
06/15/19 01:25 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin

But if the main factor indeed is hammer weight (and corresponding counterweight in keys so that the overall static force is about 50g to push down a key), can digital pianos be modified so that more mass is added both to hammers and keys so it feels like a truck, too? ^_^

I'm planning to do this. I don't know which digital to do it with. Either my Roland FP-90 or Kawai MP10. I think the Roland would be perfect if it had more weight in the bass. I want to make the hammers heavier, and then add counterweights to offset this. A concert grand can be like pushing two sumo wrestlers on a seesaw as opposed to two little girls -well maybe that's an exaggeration. This is increased dynamic touch weight, though they have the same static touch weight.

It requires very little mass at the hammer to increase weight at the key, as the leverage is almost 5:1. i.e. the hammer travels roughly 45mm for around 9.5 mm of key travel. That's why you have lead in the keys to counteract the weight of the hammers, which aren't really heavy.

Last edited by johnstaf; 06/15/19 01:33 AM.
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858696
06/15/19 01:34 AM
06/15/19 01:34 AM
Tallahassee, FL

Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by Groove On
... the other end (key) needs to be counter-balanced ...

Traditionally, the weight used to counter-balance the key is called the "Pianist". Any decently designed and maintained piano needs one of these "Pianists" to operate properly. wink

Uh...so, for example, this image is fabricated? https://hartzlerpianos.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/IMG_0238.jpg because I can clearly see lead inside the keys. I'm sure it's for the balance.

Last edited by Chopin Acolyte; 06/15/19 01:40 AM.
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858702
06/15/19 02:09 AM
06/15/19 02:09 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Uh...so, for example, this image is fabricated? https://hartzlerpianos.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/IMG_0238.jpg because I can clearly see lead inside the keys. I'm sure it's for the balance.

I was "trying to be funny" and obviously failed. The bigger point is that, yes you can add weights to make the keys heavier but it's more about controlling the weight of your back/arms and hands - not so much about whether the keys are weighted, super-weighted or non-weighted.

To use your example of a see-saw with 100 pound weights. It's the lever you use to push the see-saw that's important, not the weight of the see-saw. A baseball bat as a lever won't move those 100 pound weights, but a heavy girder will push the see-saw down very easily. In the case of playing the piano, our bodies are like heavy girders pushing the see-saw down. We have more than enough body weight to move the keys - it's more about controlling the weight to get a pleasing result.

We are the music makers,
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858703
06/15/19 02:24 AM
06/15/19 02:24 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
OK -- you understand the difference between "downweight" (how much force is needed to start the key moving) and "inertia" (the resistance the key has when you try to increase its velocity). That's important, and often ignored here.

. . . What I'm not quite sure about is this: if I increase mass M of the hammer, and strike the string with the same velocity v0, wouldn't that produce more sound? Therefore it seems like two opposing phenomena: increasing mass requires more force to accelerate the hammer, but at the same time, less velocity is needed to produce the same volume...I might be wrong here and it all depends only on velocity of the hammer, no matter its mass, but then...why did we have to put heavier hammers in a bigger piano in the first place?

To get more sound, you must increase the amount of _energy_ that the hammer transfers to the string.

Let's say (for simplification) that the hammer transfers _all_ of its kinetic energy to the string. The amount of energy available:

. . . (mass of hammer) * (velocity of hammer)**2 (sorry -- I can't find a "superscript" here, to write a proper "squared" sign)

So either the hammer must move faster, or it must be made heavier.

. . . Either way, the pianist must work harder.

There's no way the hammer can deliver more energy than the player puts into it!

Now, if you can increase the _efficiency_ of the hammer-to-string energy transfer, the pianist gets to play louder without using more energy in his fingers. How might you do that?

. . . larger soundboard

. . . harder hammer (but that changes tone quality, and is undesirable, and doesn't necessarily increase efficiency).

A larger soundboard (e.g. a grand, instead of an upright or console) will have longer strings to match its size.

My guess (you might post a question in the "Techs and Tuners" forum) is that, to transfer energy _efficiently_ to a heavier string (heavier, because it's longer), you must use a heavier hammer.

. . . but I don't know that for sure.

The appearance of carbon-fiber-containing actions (in acoustic grands) gives a hint that this "pianist-energy-to-string-energy efficiency" really matters. The less energy that you waste, accelerating the parts of the action _except_ the hammer, the easier the piano will be to play. So people will pay big bucks to shave some grams (and gain some rigidity = less energy loss) in the bits and pieces. Ideally, you want _all_ the mass (and inertia) to be in the hammer, and nothing in the keys or other bits.

None of this will really help you, when you sit down to evaluate an action. It either feels good to you, or it doesn't. You can fiddle some with "touch" settings, velocity curves, dynamic range (in some virtual pianos -- I don't know if that's filtered-down to normal DP's). But ultimately, you close your eyes and ask:

. . . "Could I be playing an acoustic piano, now -- or is this obviously a simulation ?"

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858704
06/15/19 02:40 AM
06/15/19 02:40 AM
Europe
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Europe

Don't worry. The action of the Yamaha piano you just ordered is considered "heavy" by most people. Unlike Kawai actions the static weight is pretty high, which is typical for Yamaha actions, while the dynamic weight is the same as for every digital piano.

So you can look forward to your "truck". laugh

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: JoeT] #2858706
06/15/19 02:53 AM
06/15/19 02:53 AM
Tallahassee, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Don't worry. The action of the Yamaha piano you just ordered is considered "heavy" by most people. Unlike Kawai actions the static weight is pretty high, which is typical for Yamaha actions, while the dynamic weight is the same as for every digital piano.

So you can look forward to your "truck". laugh

Lol. I love truck-ey pianos, as I'm used to them, it seems like I can control even-ness of phrasing and dynamics better. But I'm sure if was used more to light actions I would be more comfortable with them. I admire pianists who have so much experience that they can switch between very different actions and don't have any problems. It's almost like giving someone with a 9-5 office job suddenly re-stocking duties, lifting heavy boxes...not a true analogy, since piano is not supposed to be a "labour", but some amount of force is required (and that amount depends on the heaviness of the action), one cannot really cheat physics. (just my opinion, don't kill me. also, switching from a heavy action to a lighter but "real" (acoustic, upright perhaps) action seems like fun initially, everything is super easy and quick, but after some time, switching back to a heavy action feels laborious)

Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858711
06/15/19 03:39 AM
06/15/19 03:39 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Well I'm off to play on a concert grade Yamaha grand piano for the first time in my life. I have a Casio AP-470 and I suspect there will be a world of difference in the actions.

All this discussion I have been following will be made real to some small extent by being able to do a physical comparison.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Casio Celviano AP-470. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: KevinM] #2858720
06/15/19 04:25 AM
06/15/19 04:25 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by KevinM
Well I'm off to play on a concert grade Yamaha grand piano for the first time in my life. I have a Casio AP-470 and I suspect there will be a world of difference in the actions.

All this discussion I have been following will be made real to some small extent by being able to do a physical comparison.

Sample of one. Interesting but that’s all, the comparison may have no value in terms of a generalisation. But interesting, for you at least, and I will be curious about your feedback.

Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: KevinM] #2858727
06/15/19 05:13 AM
06/15/19 05:13 AM
Tallahassee, FL

Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by KevinM

Definitely leave a feedback after you try it! And good luck (if it's for your recital) smile

Re: What DPs really lack (compared to the acoustic pianos) [Re: Chopin Acolyte] #2858768
06/15/19 09:31 AM
06/15/19 09:31 AM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

In comparing actions, besides the "downweight," you also might want to consider the "upweight." One of the places DPs often feel unlike the real thing is that they can push up on your fingers after you play keys, more so than even heavy feeling acoustics, I think because the weight of the hammer does not completely detach from the key as it does on an acoustic. A simulated escapement is not a true escapement.

Page 8 of 42 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 41 42

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
If I can only play 30 mins per day...
by sherrycherrysc. 08/23/19 11:26 PM
My adult piano learning journey
by Alston9981. 08/23/19 10:05 PM
Rebuilding or vandalism?
by dogperson. 08/23/19 07:40 PM
Time to move on (method books)
by Tom97. 08/23/19 06:31 PM
ADHD Student
by sonataplayer. 08/23/19 05:27 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,696
Posts2,862,000
Members94,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission