Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Chrispy, Bett, astrotoy, brennbaer, akc42, cmoody31, Charles Cohen, AZNpiano, 36251, 11 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Handyman] #2806837
01/26/19 07:09 AM
01/26/19 07:09 AM
Germany
patH Online content

500 Post Club Member
patH  Online Content

500 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by Handyman
patH - about your signature: "Everything is possible, and nothing is sure".

Are you sure? smile

Doesn't the second part contradict, or negate, the first? One can't be sure that everything is possible...

In fact, doesn't the second part contradict or negate itself? One can't be sure that nothing is sure. ..

Further, doesn't the first part contradict or negate the second? If everything is possible then wouldn't that include being sure?

It's all a logical conundrum...

Of course I'm not sure. smile
But this sentence is true no matter what. Because if everything is possible, then it's also possible that this sentence is false. But you can't be sure about it.

But the two parts don't contradict each other.
If not everything was possible, then something would be impossible. meaning that the opposite would be sure.
Likewise, if something was sure, the opposite would be impossible.
Conclusion: If the first part is true, so is the second part. And vice-versa.

Sorry for the off-topic post. wink

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Jitin] #2806903
01/26/19 11:02 AM
01/26/19 11:02 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Jitin
If you can impress a girl with your piano playing , then you are a pianist

How about changing it to "impress someone of the opposite sex....."

[Linked Image]
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: NobleHouse] #2806922
01/26/19 11:44 AM
01/26/19 11:44 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by NobleHouse

How about changing it to "impress someone of the appropriate gender..." smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2806944
01/26/19 12:35 PM
01/26/19 12:35 PM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Thank you for that one Tyrone!

But, how about changing it to "impress someone of the appropriate gender or any attractive person who is outside the gender binary and cisnormativity." smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Animisha] #2806949
01/26/19 12:46 PM
01/26/19 12:46 PM
The Netherlands
K
Keselo Offline
Keselo  Offline
K

The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Animisha

Thank you for that one Tyrone!

But, how about changing it to "impress someone of the appropriate gender or any attractive person who is outside the gender binary and cisnormativity." smile

Or how about just enjoying yourself.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Keselo] #2806987
01/26/19 02:03 PM
01/26/19 02:03 PM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Keselo
Or how about just enjoying yourself.

Keselo, you are the wisest of us all!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: patH] #2807023
01/26/19 03:55 PM
01/26/19 03:55 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by patH
Originally Posted by Handyman
patH - about your signature: "Everything is possible, and nothing is sure".

But this sentence is true no matter what.

If nothing is sure, how can you be sure? smile

One of the things that is impossible is deciphering twisted logic - now, this is a sure thing!

And this sentence is true, no matter what...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2858483
06/14/19 09:59 AM
06/14/19 09:59 AM
Udachny, North-East Siberia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Online content OP
PianoStartsAt33  Online Content OP
P

Looks like I got the point.
I walked towards my car today and realized how calm and confident I was. No one taught me this - years of driving and big mileage turned me from timid beginner into confident mature driver. No matter when, where and how long should I drive.
I understood that I wanna feel the same feeling when I step to my piano. Сalmness and confidence, no matter when, what and where should I play. I hope I will feel it one day. This will be the moment I can answer "Yes" to everyone who asks "Can you play piano?".

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila
“The goal of music is to help people live”. Francis Bebey

Roland LX-706

YoutubeChannel
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2858493
06/14/19 10:36 AM
06/14/19 10:36 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
I walked towards my car today and realized how calm and confident I was. No one taught me this - years of driving and big mileage turned me from timid beginner into confident mature driver. No matter when, where and how long should I drive.

Perhaps one could draw another analogy to piano and age. Those who initially learned to drive when they were young very quickly hit the stage of calm confidence you mention, even when in situations where they have no reason to be - either calm or confident:

[Linked Image]

But many of those who only learned to drive as older adults, such as my mother, never attained a state of calm and confidence behind the wheel, even after more than 30 years, in my mother's case. She is as nervous approaching her car today as she was on the day she got her license, all those years ago.

So as an older piano learner, does this also apply to piano? Does the fact that I started much later in piano mean I may never reach the calm and confident stage no matter how long I work at it? Will play piano be like my speaking Russian which I also only learned as an adult? laugh Because if so, then cry

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2858498
06/14/19 10:58 AM
06/14/19 10:58 AM
P
P

Those who initially learned to drive when they were young very quickly hit the stage of calm confidence you mention, even when in situations where they have no reason to be - either calm or confident:

But many of those who only learned to drive as older adults, such as my mother, never attained a state of calm and confidence behind the wheel, even after more than 30 years, in my mother's case. She is as nervous approaching her car as she was on the day she got her license.

So as an older piano learner, does this also apply to piano? Does the fact that I started much later in piano mean I will never reach the calm and confident stage?

Yes, I've heard abot such a people... Even automatic transmission (tham makes driving way easier) doens't help them feel more confident...

But what age is "very young" when it goes about learning driving? As for me, I tried driving for the first time and got my driving license at the age of 29. So, I have my license for 7 years. It is considered that an avarage driver covers about 20 000 per year. So, 7 years of experience = 140 000 rm pf miliage. But my miliage is much bigger, it's about 260 000 km. So, it equal to 13 years of expirience.

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Roland LX-706

YoutubeChannel
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2858669
06/14/19 09:44 PM
06/14/19 09:44 PM
Connecticut, USA
ELPFAN Offline

ELPFAN  Offline

Connecticut, USA
Greetings - I'm new to the forum. I've grappled with this question a long time. Hope I don't get too deep..

I'm 61 and started formal lessons at 7. First recital at 9. Terribly driven parents. Accepted into college at 15 as a piano major. Second piano degree at 24. Opened a retail piano store after that. Associate PTG member.
It sounds snobby, right? I agree. But what I've learned is this - to me being a piano player means I can "speak" through the instrument. It's a language.
All the theory and composition goes out the window and it's just thought transference through the fingers to the piano - reaching the listener.

Proficiency means nothing. To be a piano player means that what you play is enjoyed by yourself and others. Don't overthink it and don't think you're not worthy - the secret has been right there the whole time patiently waiting for you

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: ELPFAN] #2858730
06/15/19 05:37 AM
06/15/19 05:37 AM
P
P

Originally Posted by ELPFAN
Greetings - I'm new to the forum. I've grappled with this question a long time. Hope I don't get too deep..

I'm 61 and started formal lessons at 7. First recital at 9. Terribly driven parents. Accepted into college at 15 as a piano major. Second piano degree at 24. Opened a retail piano store after that. Associate PTG member.
It sounds snobby, right? I agree. But what I've learned is this - to me being a piano player means I can "speak" through the instrument. It's a language.
All the theory and composition goes out the window and it's just thought transference through the fingers to the piano - reaching the listener.

Proficiency means nothing. To be a piano player means that what you play is enjoyed by yourself and others. Don't overthink it and don't think you're not worthy - the secret has been right there the whole time patiently waiting for you

A language... I use this as an explanation why almost all of the professional pianists (of those I know personally) never compose. They perform only. Some can impovise a when they are alone at home, but never show any compositions or something on public.
It's like with spoken languages. The fact you can speak any language fluent and know it's gramma well doesn't mean you can write Shakespeare-level sonnets in this language.Or something readable, at least.
That is why arrogance of some academic pianists makes me laugh. They usually say about pop songs:"Oh, tha's so primitive. The simpliest harmonies etc." And than I ask "OK, compose a couple of pop-hits right now, if it's so easy and primitive". And she or he answer "I cannot" or plays something that I would never call a hit, ha-ha smile

Roland LX-706

YoutubeChannel
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2859144
06/16/19 11:51 AM
06/16/19 11:51 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
So as an older piano learner, does this also apply to piano? Does the fact that I started much later in piano mean I may never reach the calm and confident stage no matter how long I work at it? Will play piano be like my speaking Russian which I also only learned as an adult? laugh Because if so, then cry

I don't think the ability to drive a car or speak a language are quite comparable to playing the piano. Even as adult learners, you are not supposed to practise driving a certain route or or practise engaging in a certain conversation. Once you can drive, you can basically drive anywhere, and once you speak a language, you can basically engage in any conversation. When playing the piano, unless you are some kind of genius, you always have to practise your pieces. And for most of the pieces that you practise, you can reach the calm and confident stage.

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: ELPFAN] #2859213
06/16/19 03:08 PM
06/16/19 03:08 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Online content
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by ELPFAN
being a piano player means I can "speak" through the instrument. It's a language.

My thoughts exactly.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Animisha] #2859311
06/16/19 06:53 PM
06/16/19 06:53 PM
P
P

Originally Posted by Animisha

I don't think the ability to drive a car or speak a language are quite comparable to playing the piano. Even as adult learners, you are not supposed to practise driving a certain route or or practise engaging in a certain conversation. Once you can drive, you can basically drive anywhere, and once you speak a language, you can basically engage in any conversation. When playing the piano, unless you are some kind of genius, you always have to practise your pieces. And for most of the pieces that you practise, you can reach the calm and confident stage.

May be, if we talk about everyday driving. But when it comes to racing, Formula 1 or rallies, for example, racers study each new unfamiliar track very carefully, before they can go thru it with fast speed. And, as in piano playing, the better your overall driving skill the faster you are getting used to the new tracks.

Roland LX-706

YoutubeChannel
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
If I can only play 30 mins per day...
by sherrycherrysc. 08/23/19 11:26 PM
My adult piano learning journey
by Alston9981. 08/23/19 10:05 PM
Rebuilding or vandalism?
by dogperson. 08/23/19 07:40 PM
Time to move on (method books)
by Tom97. 08/23/19 06:31 PM
ADHD Student
by sonataplayer. 08/23/19 05:27 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,696
Posts2,862,010
Members94,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission