2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Are there any discussions that anyone has found about workable hacks to turn the super secret acoustical piano sound 'Easter egg' into the main instrument patch?

Yes. I got on my Reface CP, between Rd1 and Rd2. Every Reface CP has got it.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
This looks like junk? Have you guys considered the Casio SA-7x? It's also junk but it has 44 keys and pianos are part of the default interface. There are different flavors of this keyboard, but it's the same base.
Casio SA-77

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
This looks like junk? Have you guys considered the Casio SA-7x? It's also junk but it has 44 keys and pianos are part of the default interface. There are different flavors of this keyboard, but it's the same base.
Casio SA-77

I hope you’re joking smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
OP Offline
A completely different class of instrument. The Casio is a toy. The Reface is a professional stage instrument, which is why it costs 10x as much.

Last edited by Cheshire Chris; 06/14/19 01:36 AM.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Casio is not even velocity sensitive. It’s basically a toy and sounds like a toy. The reface has the technology and samples from their CP stage pianos with high quality vintage effects implemented. And supports MIDI, half-pedal, etc.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

My first thought, seeing the Reface CP: an over-priced toy.

Second thought, after playing it: Pro-quality sound generator in a tiny package with a just-barely-usable keyboard.

So the Reface CP makes a nice "E-piano sound module" for a larger keyboard with MIDI output.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Reface Owners: What travel-size headphones do you find work nicely with the Reface CP?

I'm not going to haul my Sennheiser HD800s around with me on travel so I think I will order/buy a dedicated pair for travel. Not a huge believer in noise cancellation, but it might make sense in a traveling pair of headphones for the Reface CP.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
OK. I climbed onboard too. I just bought a Reface CP with a Yamaha FC2A foot pedal. Should be arriving on Monday. I hope it will fit in my carry-on luggage. I should have ordered it earlier as I already have to go on a 3-day trip tomorrow and it would have been a good test.

As it is, the place I'm going tomorrow has a piano so I won't be breaking my unbroken 6 month piano practice streak yet smile

Correction on the above - I had ordered an FC3A pedal which was the one listed on this accessories page for the Reface CP as the pedal supporting half pedaling. I tried the FC3A on the Reface CP to just make sure this pedal works with the hidden piano sound, and it indeed does.

But now I would like to try a different pedal since this FC3A is just too heavy. The FC5 looks like it would be a similar weight to the FC3A, but the FC4 looks like it is a compact two position switch. Page 4 of the manual says that to make it work with the Reface CP, I need to plug it in and hold down G2 when turning on the Reface CP. But I worry this will interact with the hidden piano sound of the Reface CP. Does anyone have the FC4 pedal who can try it with the hidden piano sound? I tried it without the FC4 and holding down the G2 when powering on doesn't seem to affect the hidden piano sound.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
But now I would like to try a different pedal since this FC3A is just too heavy. The FC5 looks like it would be a similar weight to the FC3A, but the FC4 looks like it is a compact two position switch. Page 4 of the manual says that to make it work with the Reface CP, I need to plug it in and hold down G2 when turning on the Reface CP. But I worry this will interact with the hidden piano sound of the Reface CP. Does anyone have the FC4 pedal who can try it with the hidden piano sound? I tried it without the FC4 and holding down the G2 when powering on doesn't seem to affect the hidden piano sound.

I got the FC4/FC4A and FC5 switched around. The FC5 is the mini-pedal and the one I am looking at. The FC4/FC4A seems to be a full sized pedal like the FC3A that I just received.

[Linked Image]

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Reface Owners: What travel-size headphones do you find work nicely with the Reface CP?

I'm not going to haul my Sennheiser HD800s around with me on travel so I think I will order/buy a dedicated pair for travel. Not a huge believer in noise cancellation, but it might make sense in a traveling pair of headphones for the Reface CP.

FWIW --

Rather than "travel headphones", consider a decent set of "in-ear monitors" -- Shure SE215's or equivalent. I carry mine in a pants pocket. They have good sound, and (with available triple-flange silicone earpieces) very good isolation from ambient noise.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I remain confused, but yes, I was joking about the Casio. 😅

What does it say when N1X aficionados, who are presumably sincere about enjoying a real grand piano action, go gaga over a 3-octave keyboard that looks (and surely feels) like a toy? To complete the joke, this is how it works:

You move the instrument selector to any point between two of the presets, then turn the synth off and on again. When it turns back on (which takes only 3 or 4 seconds) you have an acoustic piano.

What's the competition? Does this somehow beat a MIDI keyboard paired with iOS? Does this beat a Korg?

Yamaha has evidently tapped into something magical here. Gotta respect that. 😃

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
What's the competition? Does this somehow beat a MIDI keyboard paired with iOS? Does this beat a Korg?

Yamaha has evidently tapped into something magical here. Gotta respect that. 😃

I'd like to see you put your NV10 into a carry-on bag or a carry-on backpack. That, I'd respect! thumb wink

[Linked Image]

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I... actually briefly considered having Thomann ship out a second Novus for me half way around the world... then I reconsidered. 😅

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
So if my plan to have Thomann ship out an 88-key or buy one at the destination doesn't work, I'll consider the "Korg microKEY Air 49-Key Bluetooth Keyboard Controller".

Sounds decent based on reviews, runs on 2 AA batteries, and pairs with the iPad over Bluetooth. Latency seems quite tight based on the reviews/demos.

I've got Korg software, GarageBand, etc, so it should work out nicely with the 4 octaves.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So if my plan to have Thomann ship out an 88-key or buy one at the destination doesn't work, I'll consider the "Korg microKEY Air 49-Key Bluetooth Keyboard Controller".

I think it was on the other thread about travelling keyboards. I bought the 61 key Korg microKey2 Air. I now believe it to be a mistake. The sound through the Ipad is great - and for simple practicing is perfectly adequate with garage band (and an usb c cable and some ear buds if I need to to be quiet). But the keys are too small to actually practice sensibly. I really don't think my fingers would learn anything. I sold a Yamaha NP32 because it was too big to sensibly fit across the back seat of my car - but comparing specs that was 1.39 meters long with only 76 keys were were bigger than the Korg but still a little small than a normal keyboard.

I am thinking more along the lines of a Yamaha p121 - which is only 1.11 metres long and whilst only 73 keys (from F to F) I can play pretty much all of my repertoire on it.

I am resigning myself to not bothering when going on a plane. If I really want to practice - finding a real piano or keyboard at the destination seems the way to go.

[Linked Image]

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
The P-121 looks awesome! I'm was also thinking the Numa Compact 2X might be a good compromise. Have you considered that one? Looks like it might be more portable than the P-121 but P-121 has it beat in action. The Numa does look fun though... kinda like a Nord.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission