2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
33 registered members (dng, AZNpiano, 3am_stargazing, grd-dan, Dieci990, AB99, amyram, David B, 7 invisible), 392 guests, and 439 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 55 of 70 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 69 70
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2851262 05/22/19 07:25 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
Hi folks,

I had a streak of sailing though units in 3B then last week ran up against The Piano Playin' Chocolate Eater Blues. Aside from the atrocious title it's okay. My fingers just don't want to zip through some of the eight note swings as adroitly as I would like. Anywho, I'm stuck in Unit 6 for a while despite REALLY wishing I could finish up and start 4 this summer.

but think how good I could be in five years...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2851492 05/23/19 12:17 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
I enjoy reading how you all are doing so thanks for posting!

Minimal progress here due to real life issues & mom's failing health. Might be a couple of months before I can get back to regular piano practice, so until then just playing exercises and pieces I already know to maintain where I am.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115 for two years (good starter piano) and now a Kawai MP11SE (Fantastic piano!).
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2851530 05/23/19 02:58 PM
E
enw10 Offline
E
Chili Time, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's health! I hope she recovers quickly!

I'm out of the country right now and have been on a mission to find a piano. The struggle is real. I actually found a museum that encourages people to play their piano, but it's in bad need of regulation, so it's almost unplayable. I really enjoyed Chocolate Eater's Blues! I don't like listening to blues music, but playing it is so much fun! The Gavotte on the next page was also really easy, and I left off on the really fast one that's after that. I'm anxious to get home again!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2851535 05/23/19 03:18 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
Chili Time, here's hoping life gives you a break. Hope your mom is okay.

enw10, Good luck on your piano search and thanks for the info on what's coming up in Faber. I'm giving Chocolate one more then I'll have to set it aside. I actually enjoy learning blues pieces, but I get bored with playing them fairly quickly. Once that rhythm is set it gets to be a muscle function instead of a full mind engagement and I lose interest. whistle

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: HollyBytheLake] #2851594 05/23/19 08:18 PM
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Holly, I'm not familiar with that blues piece so I listened to some YouTube videos of kids and adults playing it and have to say I'm not a fan of that one. Be patient and maybe consider it's time to slow it down and not be in a rush to get to the next unit or level. Of course, easier said than done. smile

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Chili_Time] #2851595 05/23/19 08:23 PM
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Chili, It sounds like you're on the right track with playing pieces and working on what you already know. It might even be worthwhile to look at playing a level or so below your current one, pieces that are calming and enjoyable for you. All the best to your mom's health.

Linda

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: TX-Bluebonnet] #2851889 05/24/19 05:20 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
TX Bluebonnet, Oh I agree. I've dropped back to 2 pieces at a time instead of 4 and rearranged my spreadsheet in accordance. I'm hoping I'll enjoy the Gavotte now that the tech prep for it is winding up. I'm starting a non-Faber piece I'm excited about next week: M. McLaughlin's Lonely Ballerina. I'm thinking it will take me about 4 months. Hopefully that will give me the emotional room to just let lesson pieces be what they are.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2852240 05/25/19 11:22 PM
owenj Offline
Kind of at a pause in Unit 8 in the Adult AIO book one as I focus on getting through the Playground Sessions Rookie tour (I'm probably more at the end of Rookie/into the start of Intermediate skill-wise but it's been a good refresher since I've been away for nearly 18mo).

Linda, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the violin going forward. I'm enjoying the break, though I'll probably pull it out to play some of my "fun" pieces and not do any "work." It's weird, but my brain seems to go into different modes when I'm reading music for violin versus piano: violin, I can read treble clef no problem, know which finger I use for which note depending on which position I'm in. The piano? It's not as slow as it is with bass clef, but I'm consistently having to pause and run through the mnemonics again cry

Chili, sorry to hear about your mom's health issues, and I hope your life issues resolve themselves as best they can.

Enw10, hope you managed to get some practice in. I'm going out of the country for two weeks next month and not sure what I'm going to do to try and keep up with practice/learning.

Holly, I've never been big into jazz/blues until I started learning to play the piano because yes, it is fun to play grin I got a couple of beginner songbooks focusing on jazz, rags, and blues that I want to dive into at some point.

~Jaime
Roland HP603

Currently Working In: Alfred's Adult AIO- Level One, Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO- Book One, and Playground Sessions: Rookie Tour
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2852259 05/26/19 02:20 AM
D
diazwoman61 Offline
D
Greetings everyone, I am brand new to the Faber books and piano, I am not actually using the adult version or the all in one, I am in Piano adventures level 1, moving very slowly...I have always wanted to learn piano since I was a child but never had the opportunity, I did take 6 weeks of group lessons in a community class several years ago which I very much enjoyed, but here I am 57 years old and ready to finally work on my dream. My goal is to learn to play for pure enjoyment, some of my grandchildren are learning instruments in band and i think it would be fun to have a play along recital at christmas time.
I do notice both my fingers and my brain are not as agile as even a few years ago so I am moving very slowly, I also find faber a bit boring because I recognize nothing of course I am sure this will change as I actually gain some skills. Looking forward to following you all on this journey.

working on bucket list, by learning to play piano.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2852271 05/26/19 03:42 AM
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome back Diazwoman and I hope it will go better than last time. And yes, it can be a bit tough in the beginning. But... it can also be a bit tough when you have come a bit longer. laugh
But as long as you enjoy your journey, all is well. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2852347 05/26/19 09:53 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I’m nearing the finish line for Faber AIO Book 1 and I’m so excited! The thought of actually finishing a book feels so wonderful. Teacher gave me the go ahead to buy the next level Faber AIO, as well as the RCM “kindergarten” books. I’ve said I’d like to try the exams so she’s starting me on pieces from RCM as well. Piano-wise, life is good, no complaints.

Now, if my husband would only buy me a detached house so I can buy myself a nice piano to play on, wouldn’t that be da bomb!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/26/19 09:57 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2854668 06/01/19 03:59 PM
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi everyone, thought it's about time I got back in here to see how you're all doing.

HollyBytheLake, Are you enjoying the Gavotte now or maybe already finished it? Have you gotten started on the Lonely Ballerina piece?

Owenj, Are you still on pause with the Adult AIO? I see playground sessions has a 30-day money back guarantee so I might try a month's membership to test it out.

Diazwoman61, Welcome, and I hope you're still with us and will keep us updated with your progress. I am going very slowly myself, in the adult all in one book. I'm learning for my own enjoyment, with no plans to play publicly except maybe in an online recital. Your goal to play along with your grand kids sounds like fun. Don't wait too long before you start working on some Christmas songs.

WeakLeftHand, Have you finished book 1, and did you get that detached house you're dreaming of?

As far as my progress goes, the 8 pieces I'm working on (2 review, 6 new) are coming along well for the most part. The piece I was (am?) having the most issues with, Royal Progression, is finally starting to sound majestic to my ears. Getting the accented notes right is making all the difference. Now if only I could be more consistent at making them sound accented! Definitely something I'll keep working on.

I don't know how much longer I can keep working on these same pieces. I've got another 3 weeks before my next lesson. Well, I'll be on vacation for nearly half of that time, but still! Maybe I should start in on the next 1 or 2 pieces on the book. Or perhaps it'd be better to find some off-book easy pieces to practice on so as not to get ahead of myself. Maybe a little of both? laugh

Linda

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2855323 06/03/19 09:20 PM
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey Faberites, I’ve been on pause for a bit with my mother as she has been ill and took a fall. She is getting better and I was able to start back on piano today. I feel lost so I just opened the book and played something. I was doing well with 2 hrs a day and it feels like starting over. Oh well, I’m happy to be back at it. It looks as tho everyone is moving along well.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2855335 06/03/19 10:52 PM
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi dobro, I imagine I would feel a bit lost as well in such a situation. I think what you did by just opening the book and playing something is a good way to help figure out where to restart from. I don't know how long your pause was, but maybe you'll remember more than you think. Take it easy and I hope your mother continues to get better.

Linda

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2855576 06/04/19 08:27 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
Hi Dobro - hope your mom is doing better.

TX Bluebonnet - Luckily Gavotte clicked for me right away. I also finished (finally) Chocolate Eater, so now I'm working The Return and Swing Low. Getting The Return up to tempo is going to take some doing and Swing Low has the strangest Swing Low rhythm I've ever encountered. I did a Swing Low back in Alfred and in AIO Faber 1 and 2 I think. This one is definitely a version all it's on. As for Lonely Ballerina, I have started and it's going quite well if my life would just cooperate on some consistent practice this week! I'm working the first page and a bit in 2 line sections focusing on every two measures within those sections. On the first section I can do each bit up to tempo so I'll soon be working on every 3 measures to get my transitions ironed out. My adult kids are in and out and they all three like that one. Good thing since I've got 2 more pages of it and it's one I want to memorize. grin

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2856513 06/07/19 07:21 PM
E
enw10 Offline
E
Hello, Faber friends!

I'm home again and have been glued to my piano. I missed it so much! I'm on the final stretch in the 3B book. This week I'm cleaning up the Gavotte (I had a couple small hesitations when I played it for my teacher) and working on The Return. I'm hoping to get to level 4 by July. I'm also still going through Melody Bober's book 4. The pieces are super fun to play and not very difficult, so I'm going through the whole book a couple pieces each week.

Also, my 1 year pianoversary is coming up in a little over a week. What a fun year it's been!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2857252 06/10/19 12:28 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
Hello Faber people!. My brother came in for a week to help with my mom so I got a few good hours on the piano this weekend. Began "Vivace" in the 3A performance book and Morning in the lesson book. Long way to go but I'm going to enjoy these pieces. Progress will be slow with my mom's health taking up big blocks of time but progress is progress and I manage to get a little piano time in each day.

@Dobro hope your mom is doing well!

Last edited by Chili_Time; 06/10/19 12:28 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115 for two years (good starter piano) and now a Kawai MP11SE (Fantastic piano!).
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2857954 06/12/19 09:58 PM
E
enw10 Offline
E
HollyByTheLake, You weren't joking about the weird rhythm in Swing Low, Sweet Chariot! I just started it today, and it's definitely more difficult than it was in the AIO book. My teacher was also very insistent that I play those right hand chords with the highest note ringing out over the others... so another layer of difficulty. She also wasn't impressed with my The Return, so I have other week with that. Things are slowing down here in the final stretch of 3B!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2858051 06/13/19 06:30 AM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
Hi everyone, I'm swamped by life last couple of weeks. Progress at a stand still. Hopefully something to report back on Unit 7 soon.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2858205 06/13/19 01:25 PM
P
pagirl Offline
P
Hello everyone, I am a little older than all of you, but hope you will forgive me for that... I have wanted to take piano lessons since I was a young child, so on my 81st birthday I decided it was now or never! I found the online site “Take Lessons” and was so excited that I could take lessons from home! I read all the bio’s of the teachers, and chose one that had experience with seniors. It was a wonderful choice. She has the patience of Job!!! She was the one who chose the AIO piano adventures series to study. I absolutely love it! I am on “Shepard’s Song” and it is the first real attempt to use both hands. So far, so good. I am so impressed with what all of you are doing and your great progress with this method! I have taken the advice and hints I found here to heart! I have made a couple of discoveries on this adventure... Interleaved practice on the piano, and the PA app. I really use both to my advantage! I practice in 30 to 45 minute sessions, and break up the harder pieces into random sections. It really helps! My goals are to be able to play simple versions of my favorite songs...such as the ABBA hits. My immediate goal is to be able to play an easy version of “Pour Adaline” as performed by Richard Clayderman. My teacher said I might be able to do this after I finish Book 1. I am really motivated!!! Thank you for listening, I am learning from all of you!!!

Fran

Casio Privia 160, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 10
Page 55 of 70 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 69 70

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawaik500 price
by Morgrob - 02/21/20 10:30 PM
When to practice with pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 02/21/20 09:12 PM
Pure 12th aural tuning sequence
by TimM_980 - 02/21/20 08:41 PM
YUYS5 TA2 vs GC1 TA2
by SNkeys - 02/21/20 07:33 PM
Kawai piano 35 yo
by Love4Music - 02/21/20 06:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,111
Posts2,928,476
Members96,066
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission