2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
53 members (36251, bobrunyan, Burkey, Beowulf, dannylux, danielp11, ando, 13 invisible), 426 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Steinway’s Black Diamond Piano
j&j #2857620 06/11/19 08:29 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
This kind of instruments were made for other purposes rather than for playing. Some(that I know) were never been played

I understand but what a terrible terrible shame. A Hamburg Steinway & Son’s that won’t be played. 🥺
That’s like one of those Porsche 911 Turbo with only 5 actual miles since new. My heavens! Who wants to buy a collector Porsche and not be able to drive it! It’s just a crying shame. A Steinway is meant to be played for many years, not just as a decoration!
If someone wants to buy a piano purely for decorative or aesthetic purposes that's perfectly OK, and I strongly feel they should not be criticized for it. According to a Steinway salesperson I met, a significant percent of Steinways are bought for that reason, and Steinway might have a difficult time without that kind of customer.

j&j #2857624 06/11/19 08:37 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
At least people are buying pianos. Important for dealers,
manufacturers and therefore for piano lovers.

j&j #2857646 06/11/19 11:20 PM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
Without people buying status symbols, the "high-end" piano companies might have gone bankrupt a long time ago.

j&j #2857647 06/11/19 11:42 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
This kind of instruments were made for other purposes rather than for playing. Somes (that I know) were never been played

I understand but what a terrible terrible shame. A Hamburg Steinway & Son’s that won’t be played. 🥺
That’s like one of those Porsche 911 Turbo with only 5 actual miles since new. My heavens! Who wants to buy a collector Porsche and not be able to drive it! It’s just a crying shame. A Steinway is meant to be played for many years, not just as a decoration! A Porsche is meant to be driven. I’m starting to sound like those guys on Mecum. Ok. I’ll have a glass of wine and calm down. grin

I understand how you feel J&J ! I hope you had your glass
of wine. It seems like a criminal act to have a beautiful, expensive
grand piano just standing in lovely home,carefully dusted,tuned
once a year !!! Oh well !

Lady Bird #2857668 06/12/19 03:22 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I understand how you feel J&J ! I hope you had your glass of wine. It seems like a criminal act to have a beautiful, expensive grand piano just standing in lovely home, carefully dusted, tuned once a year !!! Oh well !
People should be free to buy a piano for any reason they want without being criticized for it. Pianos are beautiful furniture so buying a piano only for its furniture aspect is completely reasonable.

pianoloverus #2857683 06/12/19 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I understand how you feel J&J ! I hope you had your glass of wine. It seems like a criminal act to have a beautiful, expensive grand piano just standing in lovely home, carefully dusted, tuned once a year !!! Oh well !
People should be free to buy a piano for any reason they want without being criticized for it. Pianos are beautiful furniture so buying a piano only for its furniture aspect is completely reasonable.

Tuned once a year? Luckily piano! My Hamburg Steinway C, I bought it from a rich family who got it for 10 years without any tuning, just carefully dusted. Even the lid wasn't opened once...

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
Lady Bird #2857695 06/12/19 07:00 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would not mind one of those regular Bösendorfer's or
Steinways grands ----- to play.

I would take even signed ones, if they were free for me!

[Linked Image]
pianoloverus #2857710 06/12/19 07:50 AM
j&j Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You are right as usual Pianoloverus. People can buy whatever they want (except exotic endangered pets) and shouldn’t be criticized. And buying a ‘63 split window Corvette that’s never driven does bring fabulous money if it’s stored and never driven. But it is a shame to buy something designed to be played to create music with a pure singing sound and never play it. Or even hire a skilled pianist to play it at a dinner party. But then maybe someone like our trandinhnamh can buy it later and bring it’s beautiful voice out for family and friends to enjoy.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
trandinhnamanh #2857827 06/12/19 01:33 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L

Tuned once a year? Luckily piano! My Hamburg Steinway C, I bought it from a rich family who got it for 10 years without any tuning, just carefully dusted. Even the lid wasn't opened once...

That is just amazing ! I can see you appreciate this incredible piano so that is a great beginning of a new life for the piano.
Yes I think WE all want pianos to be sold from the dealers.That is
vital, but it is OK if people express thier feelings.
New pianos must keep selling.Especially European pianos where
(hope I am wrong)piano manufacturers could be sold to some Chinese firm or worse when pianos end up as a stencel.
No doubt I will cause a mini war now,hope not.

Lady Bird #2857829 06/12/19 01:42 PM

That is just amazing ! I can see you appreciate this incredible piano so that is a great beginning of a new life for the piano.
Yes I think WE all want pianos to be sold from the dealers.That is
vital, but it is OK if people express thier feelings.
New pianos must keep selling.Especially European pianos where
(hope I am wrong)piano manufacturers could be sold to some Chinese firm or worse when pianos end up as a stencel.
No doubt I will cause a mini war now,hope not.

So sad for FEURICH, PLEYEL, WILHEM STEINBERG. They were great brands of the past.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
j&j #2857832 06/12/19 01:52 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Yes it is and I am sorry Pleyel has now fallen into the same
situation .We were in Paris last year and looked in the dealers
for these pianos.Has Pleyel been taken over by a different
firm in China ?

pianoloverus #2857883 06/12/19 04:09 PM
M
M

Yet in doing so, S&S seem to have ended up with a piano that generates the most sales as a status furniture item -- because, as it turns out, there are way more people with money to burn than music to make. In turn, we have a beautiful set array of pianos priced to sell as furniture.

mcontraveos #2857888 06/12/19 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by mcontraveos

Yet in doing so, S&S seem to have ended up with a piano that generates the most sales as a status furniture item -- because, as it turns out, there are way more people with money to burn than music to make. In turn, we have a beautiful set array of pianos priced to sell as furniture.

This is simply not true. The great majority of individuals who purchase Steinway pianos not only play, but they play at an intermediate or advanced level. I'm not sure who it is that seems so committed to perpetuating the "buying a Steinway piano as a status furniture item" myth - - but regardless, it is simply not accurate.

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com
Bob Snyder #2857893 06/12/19 04:53 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Nothing wrong with something being a status symbol.

Originally Posted by Bob Snyder
I'm not sure who it is that seems so committed to perpetuating the "buying a Steinway piano as a status furniture item" myth - -

This is sort of a two-part thing:

1) I think there's truth to the notion that a Steinway is a status symbol. That's not a criticism. It's simply a fact.

2) Re. the related notion that only the "worthy" should be allowed to buy one, sadly, that's the green-eyed monster. He rears his ugly head here from time to time.

The great majority of individuals who purchase Steinway pianos not only play, but they play at an intermediate or advanced level.

It'd be interesting to see this assertion supported by concrete data.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Bob Snyder #2857897 06/12/19 05:05 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure who it is that seems so committed to perpetuating the "buying a Steinway piano as a status furniture item" myth - - but regardless, it is simply not accurate.

Perhaps things like when your company introduced Spirio and it was playback only cause us to think along those lines?

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
j&j #2857903 06/12/19 05:17 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
It's fine to express emotions over great pianos that are not
played.I bet most of us may have had green eyed monsters about
something. But it is only rational that these pianos get sold.
People spend money all the time on things they do not use.
So yes please somebody buy that incredible Maly Ambiente
Sauter grand downtown Vancouver BC.It would great to know
because I would like the Sauter as a brand to survive just as
I would all the great piano brands to survive.

mcontraveos #2857909 06/12/19 05:37 PM
Online Content
To me, your post is an example of a prejudice I think some people have against wealthy people. I say that because of your description of them as having "money to burn" and not interested in music. Having a lot of money or not being interested in music does not make someone a bad person.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/12/19 05:40 PM.
pianoloverus #2857923 06/12/19 07:26 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To me, your post is an example of a prejudice I think some people have against wealthy people. I say that because of your description of them as having "money to burn" and not interested in music. Having a lot of money or not being interested in music does not make someone a bad person.

I agree with pianoloverus again.

[Linked Image]
j&j #2857956 06/12/19 10:05 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
To me it depends, perhaps his way of describing what he sees.Describing "someone with money to burn" is just another
slang way of describing a wealthy person by a person with more modest means.
Perhaps I just feel that there so many in this world who REALLY suffer real prejudice and who's whole lives are affected by it.

j&j #2857987 06/13/19 12:55 AM
4000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
4000 Post Club Member
This is a piano forum. People here have an unusual love of the piano. Some of us think it's a shame to see a lovely piano go to waste. It has nothing to do with money or class, or any other social construct. On a piano forum, many people will be sad to see a piano that's not loved as a musical instrument.

It's the same when parents buy a piano for a child who gives up after a while. It doesn't matter if it's an expensive piano or not -not that there are any cheap pianos.

Maybe we're weird here, but a lot of use regard our pianos as our friends. OK, maybe it's just me. grin

It's not about who can afford what; not for all of us at least.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Any info on Alfonsi pianos?
by Ubu - 12/03/20 03:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,229
Posts3,029,973
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission