Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
93 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, anotherscott, Chopin Acolyte, 36251, Brendan, Bett, 25 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? #2856686
06/08/19 01:06 PM
06/08/19 01:06 PM
B
BenjaminJames Offline OP
BenjaminJames  Offline OP
B

We're purchasing a home and the seller has offered the piano for sale. Neither my wife nor I play, but expect that our daughter will enroll as soon as she's old enough - so it would be nice to have.

I'm having trouble finding out much info. It's a polished black baby grand. Manufacturer is Everett. Numbers stamed into it (I'm told this isn't a serial number) is DG 09259. Inside it has a logo that says "World Class German Technic"

Sounds like this was once a reputable Boston Brand, bought by Yamaha.. manufactured by Baldwin, but that all ended in 1989. I see reference to a chinese brand making them?

At the end of the day, I'd love to come up with a ballpark offer. It's in showroom condition.

any insights?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: BenjaminJames] #2856690
06/08/19 01:26 PM
06/08/19 01:26 PM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
It will probably cost them anywhere from $500-1000 to move it depending on where they're going, and another $500 to get it into tuning shape at the other end. So I'd play the card that you're not in the market for a piano, but offer to let them leave it behind as a piece of furniture and you're probably saving them at least $1500. The serial number should be on the plate (the big metal thing under the lid) and it will be 5 or 6 numeric digits. That would tell you when it was manufactured and you could get a better handle on how much it might be worth. Even if you buy it, all pianos feel and sound different so your daughter might not like it if she does start to play.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: BenjaminJames] #2856731
06/08/19 04:49 PM
06/08/19 04:49 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by BenjaminJames
We're purchasing a home and the seller has offered the piano for sale. Neither my wife nor I play, but expect that our daughter will enroll as soon as she's old enough - so it would be nice to have.

I'm having trouble finding out much info. It's a polished black baby grand. Manufacturer is Everett. Numbers stamed into it (I'm told this isn't a serial number) is DG 09259. Inside it has a logo that says "World Class German Technic"

Sounds like this was once a reputable Boston Brand, bought by Yamaha.. manufactured by Baldwin, but that all ended in 1989. I see reference to a chinese brand making them?

At the end of the day, I'd love to come up with a ballpark offer. It's in showroom condition.

any insights?

DG 09259 is indeed the piano's serial number. It indicates that the piano was built by the Dongbei Piano Company in China - which manufactured pianos using the Everett name between 1995 and 2016. These Everetts have nothing to do with the Everett's built in South Haven Michigan until 1989. The only thing they have in common is the name. Perhaps someone here with access to that information can give you a specific build date based on the serial number. The current owners should be able to tell you exactly when they purchased the piano and whether they are the original owners. They should also tell you how much they paid for it and how frequently it has been tuned.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: BenjaminJames] #2856790
06/08/19 10:22 PM
06/08/19 10:22 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Online content
5000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
I agree with Marks general analysis.

If the owner is only moving locally, the move cost is probably closer to $400. If they insist on making you pay for it, hire a Technician to inspect it. Dongbei pianos can have issues. Showroom condition is not the plus you would assume. If it was properly serviced and the crudeness mitigated, it might be worth paying $500 to keep it if you like it because you could probably trade it in for that amount if it passes inspection and you want something better later.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: BenjaminJames] #2856804
06/08/19 11:13 PM
06/08/19 11:13 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
I wonder about people who do not read the original post. The piano is in the house that they are buying. Moving costs are irrelevant.

I suspect that it is a good piano, that they are anxious to sell, and you are the logical people to sell to. It would save the sellers a lot of trouble.

What I would suggest is calling a local technician or dealer and asking for a selling price and a buying price, and coming up with a compromise.

Semipro Tech
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: BenjaminJames] #2856806
06/08/19 11:25 PM
06/08/19 11:25 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
It seems to me that everyone who responded did, indeed, read and understand the original post. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: BenjaminJames] #2856810
06/09/19 12:28 AM
06/09/19 12:28 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
Welcome to Piano World, BenjaminJames!

As you can see thus far, PW can be a lively place with lots of opinions, often differing drastically at times. smile

I think your situation, buying a new home with the piano already there, and the sellers not wanting to take it with them, happens more often than we think. My nephew bought an older home and the sellers left a fairly decent Cable console upright piano in the home. They (sellers) were supposed to come back and get it but never did. About a year later, my nephew called the sellers of the home and asked when they are coming to get their piano, because he wanted to refinish the floor in the room where the piano was. The sellers told him he could have the piano.

My mom visited my nephew to look at his new hard-wood floor he installed and asked about the piano. My nephew said he was going to sell the piano. Mom asked how much he wanted for it. He said he'd sell it to her for $100. Mom bought the old Cable console and gave it to me. That was my first acoustic piano, and it started me on a path to becoming a piano enthusiast and wannabe player. Now, I have 5 acoustic pianos, although I gave the Cable console to my granddaughter.

I said all that to say this... if you and your family really like the piano, I'd search the internet for similar Chinese made baby grands for sale, of the same size and age, regardless of the name on the fallboard and get an idea of the price ranges. Carey is right, the only thing Everett about the piano is name on the fallboard. But, it could still be a nice piano for your family.

I also agree that you should have a qualified piano tech check it out. The outside may look like showroom condition, but the innards of an acoustic are more important than the aesthetics, although that is important too...

I also agree that this situation might be an opportunity to get the piano at a good price, since I'm sure you are likely paying a premium for the real estate itself.

I hope it all works out for you! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: Rickster] #2857179
06/10/19 07:55 AM
06/10/19 07:55 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Rickster
Welcome to Piano World, BenjaminJames!

As you can see thus far, PW can be a lively place with lots of opinions, often differing drastically at times. smile

I think your situation, buying a new home with the piano already there, and the sellers not wanting to take it with them, happens more often than we think. My nephew bought an older home and the sellers left a fairly decent Cable console upright piano in the home. They (sellers) were supposed to come back and get it but never did. About a year later, my nephew called the sellers of the home and asked when they are coming to get their piano, because he wanted to refinish the floor in the room where the piano was. The sellers told him he could have the piano.

My mom visited my nephew to look at his new hard-wood floor he installed and asked about the piano. My nephew said he was going to sell the piano. Mom asked how much he wanted for it. He said he'd sell it to her for $100. Mom bought the old Cable console and gave it to me. That was my first acoustic piano, and it started me on a path to becoming a piano enthusiast and wannabe player. Now, I have 5 acoustic pianos, although I gave the Cable console to my granddaughter.

I said all that to say this... if you and your family really like the piano, I'd search the internet for similar Chinese made baby grands for sale, of the same size and age, regardless of the name on the fallboard and get an idea of the price ranges. Carey is right, the only thing Everett about the piano is name on the fallboard. But, it could still be a nice piano for your family.

I also agree that you should have a qualified piano tech check it out. The outside may look like showroom condition, but the innards of an acoustic are more important than the aesthetics, although that is important too...

I also agree that this situation might be an opportunity to get the piano at a good price, since I'm sure you are likely paying a premium for the real estate itself.

I hope it all works out for you! smile

Rick

Great advice again!

[Linked Image]
Re: Everett Baby Grand.. any insights? [Re: Carey] #2857881
06/12/19 05:00 PM
06/12/19 05:00 PM
B
BenjaminJames Offline OP
BenjaminJames  Offline OP
B

Thanks!! Great info and very insightful.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions about Feurich Grands?
by ShiroKuro. 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Hand Discomfort
by Anna123. 06/26/19 02:52 PM
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt
by PHollis. 06/26/19 01:37 PM
Estonia Concert Grand
by LovingPianos. 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Ebony Sharps - how low is too low
by DougD. 06/26/19 12:34 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,726
Posts2,842,334
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission